The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #21,241 of 28,989

Thats very useful information for future reference.

What is the name of the online company and do they sell a wide range of headphones?

Thx

Addicted to Audio, free shipping for me as I currently live in Australia but I am not sure about worldwide freight. Yes they have lots of headphones/amps etc. I am sure you know about the new HD800s coming out shortly?

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #21,242 of 28,989

Addicted to Audio, free shipping for me as I currently live in Australia but I am not sure about worldwide freight. Yes they have lots of headphones/amps etc. I am sure you know about the new HD800s coming out shortly?

Many thanks!  Shipping costs will bring it almost level with some other sites but still, these are much less money than a lot of other places.

My GF keeps banging on at me to use my 800's so if new ones come out then that's my excuse to buy.  Can't find any info on them though.  :frowning2: 

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #21,244 of 28,989
I just watched the YouTube video where Axel explain that the sound is ' a little bit better' and that production is still a few months away.

It looks great in Black though!!

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #21,246 of 28,989
This forum is costing me a fortune.  :frowning2:  

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #21,248 of 28,989
Neither the Hugo nor the Flow is adequate to drive the HD800.

Quote:
I do not hear with numbers. Words like adequate may also qualify as much as they quantify. So I beg your pardon if I use words to qualify instead of quantifying.

In the matter of describing what we hear, we may politely disagree.

I do politely disagree with your subsequent justification of the term «adequate». There's not much subjectivity in it, it has a rather absolute characteristic in the sense of «worthy» or «of equal quality». In other words, your original statement was like: «The HD 800 doesn't sound good (enough) with the Hugo or the Flow.»

Of course I dispute that. In my experience with the Hugo and several amps I've tried with it, the HD 800 driven by the Hugo sounds clearly better than with any attached amp. This to my ears and particularly according to my personal sonic ideals. It's even technically justifiable, as a statement from Rob Watts shows (linked several times already, but apparently overlooked by some).

On the other hand I do understand the wish to modify the sonic balance of the HD 800, even when modified. I absolutely sympathize with that. But I would never use an amp for that purpose: It's absurd to amplify a signal that's already strong enough and as clean as it gets. You'll barely beat the Hugo's headphone out in terms of harmonic distortion and output impedance. I for one use the tool that's effectively meant for that – and avoided by the most vocal amplifier advocates like the plague.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #21,249 of 28,989
I have installed some power conditioning today and I must say so far I Like it 
biggrin.gif
.......................25.00 on the bay for some security for the system well worth it............not to start a war or anything but installing the conditioner (OneAC Cp1103), new power cords (signal cable) and an improved IC (Moon Blue Dragon).  I swear I am experiencing more weight to the sound, better separation 

Even if is is imagined at least I am now pretty well protected from surge ............... its all good

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #21,250 of 28,989
  I just watched the YouTube video where Axel explain that the sound is ' a little bit better' and that production is still a few months away.

It looks great in Black though!!

When you look at frequency graphs posted online (from Sennheiser's own testing certificates) you can see a large variation in the frequency response of various HD800 headphones. Some have a large peak @ 6Khz and some are quite flat. It is my thinking (and possibly very wrong) that the new HD800s mod/helmholtz resonator/ extra material/ whatever you want to call it will cause the opposite problem. i.e. there will be some customers who will claim that the midrange is slightly recessed (those who get a original perfect driver before mod is applied). Also we do not know if the new 'mod' will cause any other issues. Normally in this world you do not get an advantage without at least some small tradeoff.

Or.. Sennheiser of course realise this and this is the reason why they are keeping both HD800 and S lines going in parallel. Those drivers which exceed the current 6Khz threshold are sent to the 'S' line whilst those within normal tolerance are used in the standard HD800 line. Sennheiser are happy as they give the consumer what they think they want (after reading complaints on forums), can lower their rejection rate of drivers, lower their inventory of balanced cable and keep sales humming along until the next new release.

In my humble opinion, if you have the HD800 model with a good frequency response certificate then you shouldn't feel the need to upgrade (although we all like new shiny things). If you have a model with a clear peak and you value your hobby above all else then the decision gets harder.
The other thing to consider is that the HD800 is a known beast. Some people have wasted small fortunes on finding appropriate amplifiers which match their characteristics, the HD800S is not a known quantity, it is possible that in the pursuit of headphone glory that you will also be compelled to swap your amp (possibly more than once) until the meta becomes established. But then that is part of the rush for many people here....

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #21,251 of 28,989
I do politely disagree with your subsequent justification of the term «adequate». There's not much subjectivity in it, it has a rather absolute characteristic in the sense of «worthy» or «of equal quality». In other words, your original statement was like: «The HD 800 doesn't sound good (enough) with the Hugo or the Flow.»

Of course I dispute that. In my experience with the Hugo and several amps I've tried with it, the HD 800 driven by the Hugo sounds clearly better than with any attached amp. This to my ears and particularly according to my personal sonic ideals. It's even technically justifiable, as a statement from Rob Watts shows (linked several times already, but apparently overlooked by some).

On the other hand I do understand the wish to modify the sonic balance of the HD 800, even when modified. I absolutely sympathize with that. But I would never use an amp for that purpose: It's absurd to amplify a signal that's already strong enough and as clean as it gets. You'll barely beat the Hugo's headphone out in terms of harmonic distortion and output impedance. I for one use the tool that's effectively meant for that – and avoided by the most vocal amplifier advocates like the plague.

We can disagree then. That's the beauty of this hobby.

I have tried using the HD800 with the Hugo only and the pairing sounds like a flat studio monitor. I understand why people like it. Low THD.

It just so happens that I prefer a beefier bass out of the HD800. I have heard the Hugo TT + GSX mkII drive the 800. That sounds sublime. I have also tried the Hugo + GSX mkII and the output while sounding leaner than the TT + GSX's, the sound I heard has certainly way more body to it than simply using the Hugo to drive the 800.

Btw, I used the RCA line out to pair with the GSX.

You prefer to use the Hugo only. I prefer to use the Hugo + another amp. There's no conflict here.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #21,252 of 28,989
We can disagree then. That's the beauty of this hobby.

I have tried using the HD800 with the Hugo only and the pairing sounds like a flat studio monitor. I understand why people like it. Low THD.

It just so happens that I prefer a beefier bass out of the HD800. I have heard the Hugo TT + GSX mkII drive the 800. That sounds sublime. I have also tried the Hugo + GSX mkII and the output while sounding leaner than the TT + GSX's, the sound I heard has certainly way more body to it than simply using the Hugo to drive the 800.

Btw, I used the RCA line out to pair with the GSX.

You prefer to use the Hugo only. I prefer to use the Hugo + another amp. There's no conflict here.

What you are talking about is a simple EQ which is more cost efficient if you only need to alter the Frequency Response of HD800 instead of trying a plethora of amps to get the sound you want. Still it's your choice and nobody can tell you you can't do that.

But saying other amps "not adequate" not only for HD800 but other headphones as well because of ones subjective opinion to me is the ugly. People spend time in forums like this to get information. I'm not against subjective impression. But when it comes to comparing gears especially ones making a buying decision. Subjective opinions has no merits. In fact it only causes regrets.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #21,253 of 28,989

What you are talking about is a simple EQ which is more cost efficient if you only need to alter the Frequency Response of HD800 instead of trying a plethora of amps to get the sound you want. Still it's your choice and nobody can tell you you can't do that.

But saying other amps "not adequate" not only for HD800 but other headphones as well because of ones subjective opinion to me is the ugly. People spend time in forums like this to get information. I'm not against subjective impression. But when it comes to comparing gears especially ones making a buying decision. Subjective opinions has no merits. In fact it only causes regrets.

Most of the posts in this forum is subjective

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #21,254 of 28,989

Someone asked if the Hugo was adequate to drive the HD800...and  sp3llv3xit gave what seems to be his honest opinion.   You will get a thousand different opinions on any forum -- that's just the way it is.  If we all agreed on what is adequate, all of us would probably own an HD650 powered by a Schiit stack...and we would all be pissed if someone posted that they preferred Grado headphones.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #21,255 of 28,989

Huh. All opinion is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back