The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #20,896 of 28,989

Yep, too short - no decay and reverbs. Comparison to vocals - a 7 year old child singing vs. a proffesional adult singing with proper decay and reverbs from her voice when singing.

Pitch is not good - phrasing does not seem natural and musical at all. lol.

But really, it's just not musical, that's all.

Certainly starting to seem as though you have an ax to grind ( a little payback for the dis like of the Hugo perhaps) or you are attempting to Draw someone in to a flame war....................Pretty sure everyone has seen your feelings on the HD800 as you have stated them a few times now

Don't feed the troll.....

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #20,897 of 28,989
  Don't feed the troll.....

Yep I know you are right,  sometimes emotion gets the best of me.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #20,898 of 28,989
Not trolling although it seems like it - just giving my honest opinion of the HD800. I am just responding to post that quoted me. I understand that HD800 is amp dependent and I believe you. This is obvious since there is much clarity on HD800 over all the other headphones. So it's only obvious to me sources down the chain would also get amplified through HD800 because of its clairty.

I am just not willing spend thousands more for a "HD800" setup. Anyway, off I go to different threads.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #20,899 of 28,989

The HD800's are phenomenal with this rig. Not cheap but then neither are the HD800's. Do not use training wheels on your Ferrari.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #20,901 of 28,989
You don't need a super expensive system to make the HD 800 sound phenomenal. Take a FiiO X5 II and a Chord Hugo, modify the HD 800 and equalize it to match your ears/HRTF. It may lack the euphony of some of the luxury rigs, but with corresponding equalizing you can achieve even that.

I can't decide which I like better: HE1000 or HD 800. But I think it doesn't get much better than those two at present – for my sonic preferences

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #20,902 of 28,989
  You don't need a super expensive system to make the HD 800 sound phenomenal. Take a FiiO X5 II and a Chord Hugo, modify the HD 800 and equalize it to match your ears/HRTF. It may lack the euphony of some of the luxury rigs, but with corresponding equalizing you can achieve even that.

I can't decide which I like better: HE1000 or HD 800. But I think it doesn't get much better than those two at present – for my sonic preferences

Problem with EQ, most people don't know what the hell they are doing.
They would probably need serious knowledge & good equipment to get the correct tonal changes they seek without completely messing up the sound.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #20,903 of 28,989
  Does anyone have  bookmarked or a link to a how to tutorial on re-terminating the stock hd800 cable to 4pin xlr ? 

Jamie - I reterminated mine after reading this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/490316/re-terminating-the-sennheiser-hd-800-cable-to-balanced  

Internally, the cable has two separately insulated pairs that are then enamel coated.  Based on the posts I've read, and my own experience, it appears Sennheiser is not entirely consistent about which color (red or green) pair is R+ vs. L+.  After you cut the cord (leaving enough length to make the obligatory XLR to TRS adapter out of the leftovers), separate out the wires and peel or melt the enamel off the ends.  Then meter them for continuity with the pins in the earpiece connectors to identify which color is L+ vs. R+.  The cables are pretty thin, but you'll make quick work of it.  

4 pin XLR pinout on the new jack is:

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

Easy peasy and works great.  Personally, I don't believe I hear any obvious difference between my reterminated stock cable and my fancier cardas litz xlr cable.   

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #20,904 of 28,989
  Problem with EQ, most people don't know what the hell they are doing.
They would probably need serious knowledge & good equipment to get the correct tonal changes they seek without completely messing up the sound.

That's certainly true. It can also happen to me, as it seems. It has turned out that I wasn't exactly on the right track with my previous HE1000 settings.

However, the measuring data on Inner Fidelity are a usable guideline, although they're not entirely reliable, especially at high frequencies (and that has been my above mentioned problem – the 8-10 kHz peaks on a lot of the graphs don't seem to coincide with reality).

Also, pink noise is a good tool for detecting colorations.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #20,905 of 28,989
Yep, too short - no decay and reverbs. Comparison to vocals - a 7 year old child singing vs. a proffesional adult singing with proper decay and reverbs from her voice when singing.

Pitch is not good - phrasing does not seem natural and musical at all. lol.

But really, it's just not musical, that's all.

The age/skill if a singer has nothing to do with decay or reverberation, so not sure what you're trying to say there.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #20,909 of 28,989
If you read my last sentence.

"But really, it's just not musical, that's all". - This is in regards to HD800.

I think I understand that. Sonic ideals and ears vary to a large degree – and rest of the chain plays its part as well. To me the (modified!) HD 800 is honest and musical at the same time.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #20,910 of 28,989
Picking up the materials for modding tomorrow, Not because I think the HD800 sounds bad but because if it is an improvement why not do it (does not hurt that it is reversible 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back