The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #20,926 of 28,992
All these cable talk are great and informative, but what should one do when looking for a balanced cable??

Not sure what you're asking.  I'd get one that doesn't tangle easily, looks and feels durable, pleases your eye, has the right XLR termination for your amp (4 or two 3's).  And doesn't cost more than half your headphone hopefully.  

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #20,927 of 28,992
Well since the official Senn's HD800 balanced cable is about $340, I think it makes sense to find a quality third party cable that carries a lesser price tag instead
tongue.gif

Anyway I do think that the #1 quality that we should look upon upgrading a cable is its durability, construction, or material quality so it hopefully lasts longer and more resistant against wear and tear and stuffs- instead of blabbering which cable utilizes the godlike extraplanar entity's technology that upgrades your measly music into a symphony that accompanies the birth of a universe.

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #20,931 of 28,992

Jamie - I reterminated mine after reading this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/490316/re-terminating-the-sennheiser-hd-800-cable-to-balanced  

Internally, the cable has two separately insulated pairs that are then enamel coated.  Based on the posts I've read, and my own experience, it appears Sennheiser is not entirely consistent about which color (red or green) pair is R+ vs. L+.  After you cut the cord (leaving enough length to make the obligatory XLR to TRS adapter out of the leftovers), separate out the wires and peel or melt the enamel off the ends.  Then meter them for continuity with the pins in the earpiece connectors to identify which color is L+ vs. R+.  The cables are pretty thin, but you'll make quick work of it.  

4 pin XLR pinout on the new jack is:

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

Easy peasy and works great.  Personally, I don't believe I hear any obvious difference between my reterminated stock cable and my fancier cardas litz xlr cable.   

Ok all done thanks and didn't take long at all,  checking the wires for continuity red was right + and green was left + and two whites as negatives. The wires were quiet small and stripping them clean was the fiddle part and needed my reading glasses and magnifying glass to check for stray strands.  I chopped off about 6inchs of the stock cable from the original trs plug and have ordered another 4 pin XLR socket which I can add to the cut off piece to make up a short xlr to trs adapter.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #20,933 of 28,992
Earlier this year, I decided to give headphone listening another try but this time with full commitment (a couple years ago I had an LCD 2 rev 2 with an inadequate amp).  At the same time I auditioned an LCD-X, HD 800 and Hifiman 560.  All three were in stock form and driven by a Burson Conductor Virtuoso.  All three had admirable qualities and some not so much.  For me, the LCD-X was just too damn heavy (the 4 is even heavier still.....What?).  Also, it's bass seemed exaggerated to me.  The 560 was nice too, but I heard a "magic" with the 800.  Even with stock cable and no Anax mod, driven by a bright "ish" ss amp,  I knew this was the sound I was looking for and was willing to build a system AROUND the 800.

I ended up with a Woo WA2 with all NOS tubes, Norne Draug 2 cable and the Anax mod and I'm extremely happy.  Of course there are better ancillary components for the HD 800 and in the future I may want to change them, but for now I don't care. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #20,934 of 28,992
  Earlier this year, I decided to give headphone listening another try but this time with full commitment (a couple years ago I had an LCD 2 rev 2 with an inadequate amp).  At the same time I auditioned an LCD-X, HD 800 and Hifiman 560.  All three were in stock form and driven by a Burson Conductor Virtuoso.  All three had admirable qualities and some not so much.  For me, the LCD-X was just too damn heavy (the 4 is even heavier still.....What?).  Also, it's bass seemed exaggerated to me.  The 560 was nice too, but I heard a "magic" with the 800.  Even with stock cable and no Anax mod, driven by a bright "ish" ss amp,  I knew this was the sound I was looking for and was willing to build a system AROUND the 800.

I ended up with a Woo WA2 with all NOS tubes, Norne Draug 2 cable and the Anax mod and I'm extremely happy.  Of course there are better ancillary components for the HD 800 and in the future I may want to change them, but for now I don't care. 

I definitely agree. The HD800 is still a very good headphone even after all these years (I think it was released in 2009) while many other headphones start fading for newer models. My headphone is stock with the exception of a balanced cable which I needed for my amp and I'm very happy. I could get a better dac and a longer cable but those are not important now as I anticipate being happy for a long time. This is my 3rd HD800 so as they say the third time's the charm. I know many in here mod the HD800 but I'm happy with it as it is and don't find any glaring faults (for my tastes) where I need to modify it.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #20,935 of 28,992
Thanks to Sennheiser policy, their models last long so we have time to enjoy what they offer while some other brands release one headphone a year.  There's some reasons why HD600 and 650 became classics and we can probably consider that the HD800 has become a classic as well. 

Considering the current state of the market, I'll probably keep my HD800 and play with some Stax for a long time and wait for really new and innovative better products . 

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #20,938 of 28,992
Bought This cable from ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-10ft-Cardas-Sennheiser-HD800-Headphone-Cable-Balanced-or-Furutech-1-4-/121734157550 and I'd rebuy it in a heart beat If I had to do so. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #20,939 of 28,992
I have the mid tier Charleston cable and I like it. It only took a week from ordering to receiving it so it came really fast. This is recommended if you are in a rush.

You really can't go wrong. There are lots of companies that make high quality cables. It is just up to your price range and how long you are willing to wait.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #20,940 of 28,992
Just finished the anax mod (took longer to go to the store and get the materials than the actual mod took) about 1 hour and really quite easy, I will say 1 thing about the mod is  it holds the inner cover / pad / filter (whatever the heck they call it) out further and that tickles my outer ear now, It may just need some fidgeting to get it to lay down better we will see.

I can not hear any detrimental sound loss, and it seems the Highs are a bit smoother, I can listen louder with no wincing in pain

Still supremely dynamic, Has not hurt the sound / head stage any, Bob Marleys cow bells on is this love are still outside the head at least 1 foot left and right sides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back