The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #17,656 of 28,989
  Question; Do the T1's bear any of the characteristic "Dark but fully detailed nature" that the non-Tesla Beyerdynamic headphones
do ?

Basically , the T1 sounds like an "uber" DT880. Faster, better , stronger DT880. Same overall balance with extended bass, neutral mids and Peaky treble and a great soundstage. I owned it during three month last summer for reviewing purpose.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #17,657 of 28,989
  The T1 is mediocre by even mid-fi standards, the midrange to lower treble distortion is significantly higher than a HD600 or K701; it gets outresolved by the HD600/650 when it comes to fine background detail & ambiance and cannot reproduce instantaneous clean edges & snappy transient response to the level of the K701. The T1's bass response is barely better than the above given that it cheats with a semi-closed design. Forget about comparing it to the HD800.

Hell No!!!

But I do agree the HD800's are better IMO.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #17,658 of 28,989
  The T1 is mediocre by even mid-fi standards, the midrange to lower treble distortion is significantly higher than a HD600 or K701; it gets outresolved by the HD600/650 when it comes to fine background detail & ambiance and cannot reproduce instantaneous clean edges & snappy transient response to the level of the K701. The T1's bass response is barely better than the above given that it cheats with a semi-closed design. Forget about comparing it to the HD800.

I agree on all fronts exept comparing to K701 the T1 is league above.
Imo in some ways the T1 sounds like much improved K701.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #17,659 of 28,989
Basically , the T1 sounds like an "uber" DT880. Faster, better , stronger DT880. Same overall balance with extended bass, neutral mids and Peaky treble and a great soundstage. I owned it during three month last summer for reviewing purpose.

For me I agree with this post here and I'll add that the T1 treble is smoother to me than the Dt880(owned for awhile currently) and sounds more controlled. I owned the T1 and HD800 for awhile, I find them to quite a bit better than the Hd650 (I also currently own for a few months) and the Akg 65th anv. (Previously owned). I take the T1 over both of the other two any day. While the T1 is very good, I do like the HD800 more. With that, I do appreciate the HD650, DT880, and the likes.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #17,660 of 28,989
For me I agree with this post here and I'll add that the T1 treble is smoother to me than the Dt880(owned for awhile currently) and sounds more controlled. I owned the T1 and HD800 for awhile now, I find them to quite a bit better than the Hd650 (I also currently own for a few months) and the Akg 65th anv. (Previously owned). I take the T1 over both of the other two any day. While the T1 is very good, I do like the HD800 more. With that, I do appreciate the HD650, DT880, and the likes.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #17,661 of 28,989
Under the correct conditions I'm finding the HD800 to sound more "Transparent" (& I honestly believe that unless you're talking about
"transducers" you should forget about using this term in other places) than any other headphone that I've heard.

I can definitely hear whether or not the colorations in the other equipment in my playback chain are working with whatever playback source material I'm listening to or against it ! (I may be even "pickier" about what music I'll even listen to than the equipment I'm listening to it through ; But it works for me )

(He,he,he... As recently as yesterday I discovered that 1 of the headphone amps that I've been switching in & out with other amps
may be more of an "acceptable holdover amp" than I thought it was; So I don't have to get another "holdover amp" just yet !)

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #17,662 of 28,989
The HD 800 have now stolen music time as well, in addition to gaming, from speakers. The new Audirvana really benefitted the HD 800. Only movies and TV shows on speakers. Damn, I don't like going back to headphones, but these make it very hard to resist. Must obtain a 3-way sealed cabinet speaker to bring the power and monopoly back to the speakers.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #17,663 of 28,989
This is off topic but others may get a "kick" out of it !

Some years back I was watching a show I believe was called "Trading Spaces" where the occupants who lived in one house would change places with others to do renovations on rooms in each others houses. I only caught the tail end of the episode show but it was enough as 1 of the dwellers had some "Hi End" Audio equipment in 1 of the rooms that was redesigned.

Normally when you see people returning to these rooms for the first time you can tell if they like the changes pretty quickly. It appeared his wife was pretty happy , but you could see he looked pretty uptight & almost immediately went into a quick room scan looking for something until he discovered that his full sized Magneplanars had been placed behind "grilled" doors on either side of a built in "Wall Unit".

You could see him relax as he realized they were just sitting behind the doors. I would bet any amount of money that the wife would lose the battle of his "Maggies" staying behind those doors from his 'after the fact' comments ! (It was just hilarious how he looked while he went into search mode, as his wife was grinning from ear to ear) (At least I think it may have been "Trading Spaces")

(I could lie & say that there was a pair of HD800 sitting on a shelf (To add some "relevance" to the story: but I don't think the
HD800 was even on the drawing board yet)

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #17,664 of 28,989
For me the HD800 , they're technically better than T1, but  for enjoyment HD 800 : 5.5/10,  while T1 score 7.5 /10 ( lcd 3 F: 9 /10 ) . I found HD 800 sounds too cold , thin ,detail very clear .  It's relatively bass light compared to T1's and a bit brighter and fatiguing.  T1's sound very clear , warm and detailed without any fatigue .
another plus for T1 I found them 10/10 for gaming while Hd 800 9/10 .

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #17,665 of 28,989
  For me the HD800 , they're technically better than T1, but  for enjoyment HD 800 : 5.5/10,  while T1 score 7.5 /10 ( lcd 3 F: 9 /10 ) . I found HD 800 sounds too cold , thin ,detail very clear .  It's relatively bass light compared to T1's and a bit brighter and fatiguing.  T1's sound very clear , warm and detailed without any fatigue .
another plus for T1 I found them 10/10 for gaming while Hd 800 9/10 .

Each to their own. A modded HD800, paired with a warmish amp (WA5 or 430HA for me) is a match made in audio heaven to my ears.

Unmodded, I find the HD800 hard to love. Mod the thing, amp it with something that matches well, and it is HEAVENLY. The HD800 scales like crazy (as does the HE6, but that is another topic for another thread).

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #17,667 of 28,989

Each to their own. A modded HD800, paired with a warmish amp (WA5 or 430HA for me) is a match made in audio heaven to my ears.

Unmodded, I find the HD800 hard to love. Mod the thing, amp it with something that matches well, and it is HEAVENLY. The HD800 scales like crazy (as does the HE6, but that is another topic for another thread).

+1 x 1^1

It does (or can) take a bit of doing but once you find the setup that works for you, they can indeed sing…

JJ  :thumb

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #17,668 of 28,989
Sorry , but  my HD800 is still unmodded you know what ? I really enjoy it ! .. incredible isn't it. 

Maybe I'm crazy or deaf after all.  The only thing I guarantee is that I listen to real music ! no pink or white noise here ! and I don't use my Unmodded HD800 for medical purpose... I listen to music with it.  I know , it sounds unbelievable but I promise it's the pure truth. 

Maybe it depends on what I listen to ?  That would be incredible if the music we listen to would determinate our tastes in audio... Maybe we should open a thread about the relationship between music and audio. that would be a bit too revolutionnary though. dunno... thoughts ? 

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #17,669 of 28,989
  Sorry , but  my HD800 is still unmodded you know what ? I really enjoy it ! .. incredible isn't it. 

Maybe I'm crazy or deaf after all.  The only thing I guarantee is that I listen to real music ! no pink or white noise here ! and I don't use my Unmodded HD800 for medical purpose... I listen to music with it.  I know , it sounds unbelievable but I promise it's the pure truth. 

Maybe it depends on what I listen to ?  That would be incredible if the music we listen to would determinate our tastes in audio... Maybe we should open a thread about the relationship between music and audio. that would be a bit too revolutionnary though. dunno... thoughts ? 

If an unmodded HD800 works for you, I say go for it and be happy
smile.gif

We all hear things differently - what works for me might be poison to someone else. I find the treble of an unmodded HD800 a little feral - the modding tames it into something I can enjoy - but that is my taste for my gear - YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back