The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #17,627 of 28,992
Ok , so your impressions match indeed with mine.  too much width wih "hole in the middle effect" , overall thin sound and harsh treble.  I gave impressions a few pages above and wrote a complete review of the Hugo in french.  Friend's impressions (LCD3F and EC 445 as amp) was the same.

we heard the awful treble even with SR007mkII /SRM727 combo.  Jeez. I can't imagine the result with a resolving & unforgiving amp like the rag .. brrrr 

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #17,628 of 28,992
Is it ok to use pink noise to burn in the HD800?

Yea its OK, but like someone else said, just play music & listen to them. Mine certainly don't sound bad brand new!  Personally, I do think burn in helps, but its not night & day.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #17,629 of 28,992
  My ears are very sensitive , I can hear many things in one time, Very disappointed with Hd 800 something wrong with these, maybe the cups are too big and for that you get huge soundstage but no bass. also there is 5 holes under the drivers, what's that for ???
I'vs been using them for about 2 weeks with Rag and still no smoothness , spiky at the treble, very bright and soulless . it's not for music ,
but I'm happy cause they are perfect for gaming with my brother .

It is not a coincidence that many people hear these same sound characteristics in the HD800, Sennheiser (in addition to all the great
capabilities the driver they've picked for these headphones) "chose" to "voice" these headphones to have a "bright signature" along
with that huge "Soundstage" so that those who aren't using comparably priced equipment with them could appreciate what the 800s
could achieve without actually having the necessary system playback resolution to get this results. There are many more people
who use the HD800 with "mid level" to lower level equipment then those of us that will use them with "Hi - End" equipment.

That was the "Bad" news, but it really isn't that bad,because there are options to correct the HD800 (& Sennheiser knew that,but as I said really wanted every "Tom, Dick & Harry" not into better Audio to want a pair of these; way more profitability)

Your HD800s aren't as "Broken" of "Flawed" they just have some "Mechanical Colorations" to them that are "easily" corrected* &
once corrected worth every cent (& more) that you paid for them  * ( Or you could "dumb down" the flaws by using a tubed amp; which
works for some people but you're just changing the colorations)

Before I forget on this posting (& counterpoint opinion discussion that the "HD800 are perfect as is; which really isn't necessary as
these are "my" opinions only) I'll say....

YMMV
~ steve

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #17,630 of 28,992
  My ears are very sensitive , I can hear many things in one time, Very disappointed with Hd 800 something wrong with these, maybe the cups are too big and for that you get huge soundstage but no bass. also there is 5 holes under the drivers, what's that for ???
I'vs been using them for about 2 weeks with Rag and still no smoothness , spiky at the treble, very bright and soulless . it's not for music ,
but I'm happy cause they are perfect for gaming with my brother .

From all the headphones i have heard the HD800 comes closest to the sound of studio monitors, ultra detailed and neutral, this type of sound is not for everyone i guess.
I hated the GS1000 for example, yes it's more musical than HD800 but everything else was much worst.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #17,632 of 28,992
  My GS1000 sounded OK on low volumes, but sounded like cardboaard at medium levels.

I no longer have them.

Just saw your profile and your headphone collection Wink.

Would you mind sharing some impressions of the HE-60 against the HD800 and something like a Stax Lambda Signature if you have some time ? 

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #17,633 of 28,992
James, a couple of points to bear in mind, since I think this is oversimplifying the issues involved in amping hd800's:

(1) Sennheiser created its own flagship ss amps, intended for the hd800, with a 40 (42 maybe?) ohm balanced output - so there is a fair argument that they have concluded 0-1 ohm output impedance is not ideal..

It could just be that the chip used in the HDVD is unstable without some added resistance. To my ears 0 output z sounds fine as long as the bass is meaty, as it is through many amps with low z. Ime the whole output z thing gets too much attention lately.

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #17,634 of 28,992
Alright, it might finally be time for an upgrade. RIght now I have the ODAC > M-Stage > HD800 with a little bit of Equalizer APO action to dial it in perfectly. This current setup is probably the one I've been most satisfied with in my years in this hobby.

However, I have some scratch I'm willing to spend and have been thinking about jumping to either a new DAC or a tube amp (I've always owned low impedance headphones and have wanted to get into tubes for a long time). At the moment I'm looking at either a Bifrost (non-Uber) or a Valhalla 2 as an upgrade and was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts. I'm also open to other options. I really like the look of big tubes, but the Valhalla 2 has been getting such high praise with the HD800 and sound always comes before looks. Also, the high output impedance of something like the crack scares me away from using it as a primary amp. I'm very fond of how fast and tight the HD800's are, with its almost exaggerated rising transient, quick decay, and great separation. An amp that would enhance the soundstage and imaging is definitely a bonus, as I don't think my current setup is really taking advantage of the HD800 in that respect. The M-Stage itself is a pretty warm and smooth amp, so I'd rather not get anything that would make things more "edgy", as my current setup performs well with just about any genre and doesn't put a magnifying glass on the poor aspects of the recording, only the good parts. :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #17,635 of 28,992
Finally listened to the HD800 with my new Hugo after going through TH900, Grado PS & GS, SE846, UE10, LCD3 and M2.

The setup:
MacPro - Jena Labs/AQ Diamond - Hugo - HD800 + cardas clear cables
Apple m4a tracks recorded myself or commercial.

I think the HD800 had the best air, clearly placed instruments where they should be.  The most speaker like among the cans I have listened to so far. (non electrostatic)

Now, about the HD800 earpads.  I have them replaced last year but after experience with recent makers' leather pads.  Anyone here have tried leather pads replacements?
Thanks.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #17,636 of 28,992
Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, about the HD800 earpads.  I have them replaced last year but after experience with recent makers' leather pads.  Anyone here have tried leather pads replacements?
Thanks.

Are any leather replacement pads for the HD 800 available ??
I recently replaced the pads on mine with original Senn. pads and already this was a pain in lower back area, to get the new ones snapp into place.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #17,637 of 28,992

Are any leather replacement pads for the HD 800 available ??
I recently replaced the pads on mine with original Senn. pads and already this was a pain in lower back area, to get the new ones snapp into place.

I am on my third set of micro fiber Sennheiser pads and headband.  These have cost me over $350+ already.  They simply do not last.  My first set completely pill off.  There are pictures in the forum somewhere.
Anyway, the sound of too good not to replace or search for better pads.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #17,638 of 28,992

I am on my third set of micro fiber Sennheiser pads and headband.  These have cost me over $350+ already.  They simply do not last.  My first set completely pill off.  There are pictures in the forum somewhere.
Anyway, the sound of too good not to replace or search for better pads.

Never had this problem, what are you doing with your headphone?

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #17,639 of 28,992
Mar 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #17,640 of 28,992
My first set last 2 years. Just replaced it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back