The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #17,641 of 28,992
I use them.

Your cheeky answer notwithstanding, you are either using them like a pair of 50 dollars gaming headset, or you excrete a particularly acidic sweat, or you live in a very humid and hot environment. Or all three. That's the only way I can see the pads deteriorating fast enough to need three replacements even if you owned them since release.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #17,642 of 28,992
Your cheeky answer notwithstanding, you are either using them like a pair of 50 dollars gaming headset, or you excrete a particularly acidic sweat, or you live in a very humid and hot environment. Or all three. That's the only way I can see the pads deteriorating fast enough to need three replacements even if you owned them since release.

Serial 666, so probably made within the first 6 months. What killed the pads is the constant wiping off of excess moisture.  Yes, I do travel to Southeast Asia often.  But that's not it because the cans are at the hotel, nice and cool.  Could be body chemistry.  

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #17,643 of 28,992
I have no idea - not my area of expertise - but if it is body chemistry, something in your diet :confused:

How we suffer for this hobby :D

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #17,644 of 28,992
I have no idea - not my area of expertise - but if it is body chemistry, something in your diet
confused.gif

How we suffer for this hobby
biggrin.gif

Too much travel food here.  Skin is def not pH-balanced.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #17,645 of 28,992

Serial 666, so probably made within the first 6 months. What killed the pads is the constant wiping off of excess moisture.  Yes, I do travel to Southeast Asia often.  But that's not it because the cans are at the hotel, nice and cool.  Could be body chemistry.  

Alright that makes sense. I suffer from some of the same issues. Live in a very humid area, albeit cold. Have some body sweat issues, and I have to wipe off sweat often too. And since yours is a first run production, three pad changes make sense. I know I would spend the same money to change the pads since the sound is just too good lol

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #17,646 of 28,992
sidetracked by pads.  This is the color scheme that works wonderfully well with Hugo.
magenta sound levels with Cardas cables.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #17,647 of 28,992

Alright that makes sense. I suffer from some of the same issues. Live in a very humid area, albeit cold. Have some body sweat issues, and I have to wipe off sweat often too. And since yours is a first run production, three pad changes make sense. I know I would spend the same money to change the pads since the sound is just too good lol

At some point a while ago I decided to mix up a weak solution (a lit bit of Armour All & water) & got a soft cotton rag , dipped it in the
solution & squeezed the rag out so that it was only damp,

I then wiped the earpads lightly with this rag. My thinking was that a slight coating of silicone on the earpads fibers even though the
pads were dry to the touch after a minute or so should help the pad fibers from the wear caused from perspiration

It seems to have worked pretty well as I did this about a year & a half ago . (Now that I think of it , I may do it again this weekend as I still have that small pump spray bottle of "Armour All" sitting on a shelf)

Just dilute it with water & lightly wipe it across the pads (It fights the "acidic" wear nature that perspiration cause pretty well I'd say !)

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #17,648 of 28,992
  At some point a while ago I decided to mix up a weak solution (a lit bit of Armour All & water) & got a soft cotton rag , dipped it in the
solution & squeezed the rag out so that it was only damp,

I then wiped the earpads lightly with this rag. My thinking was that a slight coating of silicone on the earpads fibers even though the
pads were dry to the touch after a minute or so should help the pad fibers from the wear caused from perspiration

It seems to have worked pretty well as I did this about a year & a half ago . (Now that I think of it , I may do it again this weekend as I still have that small pump spray bottle of "Armour All" sitting on a shelf)

Just dilute it with water & lightly wipe it across the pads (It fights the "acidic" wear nature that perspiration cause pretty well I'd say !)

You have been good with this?  No rash or other ill effects?  

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #17,650 of 28,992
  I would not do this if I were any of you. Car microsuede or leather protectors work very badly on the human skin, even highly diluted.

Yeah , you guys are right my ears fell off & I've had to get a "hearing ear" dog !

(Contrary to "public opinion" I always consider worse case "scenarios" when ever I decide to try unknown things, but I am VERY cautious with every thing that I attempt so in retrospect it may not have been a wise decision to suggest things like this to others
I know how "technically or mechanically" apt I am at doing things & can only assume that others will or won't attempt things based
on the confidence they have in "their" own aptitude levels in these areas )

(Actually, I try these things out on the dog first.... I can't understand why he keeps running away !) (I can't understand why he doesn't come when I call him !)

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #17,651 of 28,992
[snip]

(2) When you talk about "clean transparent" amps, I assume you are talking about amps like the o2 that use high levels of negative feedback to hit particular target specs.  The fact is, the published specs for these amps don't include the transient intermodulation distortion and other nonlinear distortion products that result from the application of negative feedback.  This, in my opinion, is why many folks seem to find that nonfeedback amps may actually sound more clean and transparent than the alternatives.   

As Nelson Pass explains it, with many measurements to confirm, negative feedback decreases total THD but at the cost of adding new complex distortion components/nonlinear distortions, particularly high order.   https://passlabs.com/articles/audio-distortion-and-feedback

+1

:D

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #17,652 of 28,992
I've got a new found respect for the HD 800 today.  I have been comparing HD 800 to a T1 I recently bought and it just craps all over that thing.  The T1 really doesn't do anything wrong but it doesn't do anything great either.  The HD 800 is on another level entirely, easily worth it's asking price, the T1 sounds like it should be priced around $300 - $400 dollars to me.  I really was expecting them to be much closer, but no.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #17,653 of 28,992
  I've got a new found respect for the HD 800 today.  I have been comparing HD 800 to a T1 I recently bought and it just craps all over that thing.  The T1 really doesn't do anything wrong but it doesn't do anything great either.  The HD 800 is on another level entirely, easily worth it's asking price, the T1 sounds like it should be priced around $300 - $400 dollars to me.  I really was expecting them to be much closer, but no.

I agree with you - once I had my 800's I rarely touch my T1's anymore.  And when I do it just reminds me of how much more I prefer the 800's.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #17,654 of 28,992

I agree with you - once I had my 800's I rarely touch my T1's anymore.  And when I do it just reminds me of how much more I prefer the 800's.

Question; Do the T1's bear any of the characteristic "Dark but fully detailed nature" that the non-Tesla Beyerdynamic headphones
do ?

At various times through the years I've always felt that both Sennheiser & Beyerdynamics usually retained a good bit of their "house"
sound (Almost the way Classical recording companies followed their "house" sound recording techniques to come up with the
same "sound characteristics" their "distinctive" approaches resulted in)

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #17,655 of 28,992
The T1 is mediocre by even mid-fi standards, the midrange to lower treble distortion is significantly higher than a HD600 or K701; it gets outresolved by the HD600/650 when it comes to fine background detail & ambiance and cannot reproduce instantaneous clean edges & snappy transient response to the level of the K701. The T1's bass response is barely better than the above given that it cheats with a semi-closed design. Forget about comparing it to the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back