The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #15,976 of 28,989
I would like to get some ideas of a good amplifier for my HD800's and HD650's. Currently using a Lyr (not a version 2) and it is sounding just fine but I need a second amp for the bedroom. I am considering just getting another Lyr or possibly a Valhalla 2 but I would like some other options if you have any. Would like something along that same price ($500) or less.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #15,977 of 28,989
  I would like to get some ideas of a good amplifier for my HD800's and HD650's. Currently using a Lyr (not a version 2) and it is sounding just fine but I need a second amp for the bedroom. I am considering just getting another Lyr or possibly a Valhalla 2 but I would like some other options if you have any. Would like something along that same price ($500) or less.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #15,979 of 28,989
  When I first got my HD800 I was disappointed.  Soundstage was great but sounded veiled and fatiguing.  Then I read burn-in is recommended so I let it run a couple of days.  Listened last night on my Woo WA2.  Spectacular.  Anyone who dismisses the idea of burn-in must have no ear for music.

I'm a little shocked that you felt the sound of the HD800 was veiled. To me, and many others, it's the most analytical headphone out there. As far as burn in, some may argue that it's nothing more than your ear adjusting to the sound of your new headphones. The HD800's sounded amazing right off the bat for me. But then again, I probably don't have an ear for music. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #15,980 of 28,989
I'm a little shocked that you felt the sound of the HD800 was veiled. To me, and many others, it's the most analytical headphone out there. As far as burn in, some may argue that it's nothing more than your ear adjusting to the sound of your new headphones. The HD800's sounded amazing right off the bat for me. But then again, I probably don't have an ear for music. 

They don't sound veiled now. And I'm not sure that's the best word to describe what I experienced on day one. I certainly don't mean not analytical, but they sounded thin and un-involving.

It is not a matter of adjusting to the sound. I listened for about an hour on day one then did not listen at all for two days. Then I was thrilled with the sound as soon as I listened on day three.

Anyway, I'm sorry for raising the issue the way I did. There really is no point in arguing about it.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #15,981 of 28,989
  When I first got my HD800 I was disappointed.  Soundstage was great but sounded veiled and fatiguing.  Then I read burn-in is recommended so I let it run a couple of days.  Listened last night on my Woo WA2.  Spectacular.  Anyone who dismisses the idea of burn-in must have no ear for music.

Yes and I also happen to believe that unicorn exists.  
biggrin.gif
  Believe what you will but please don't say that people who don't conform to your beliefs have no ear for music.

Not picking a fight!  Just give you my honest 2c.

Happy new year!

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #15,982 of 28,989

Even though I wasn't immediately impressed and like the HD800 sound signature at first, by no mean the sound was veiled.  I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me borrow his HD800 for a few weeks.  I bought my own right after that.  
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #15,983 of 28,989
  Well you've skipped a lot of steps on the audiophile ramp up to the HD800s which is both good and bad. Climbing the ladder lets you fully appreciate when you get to the top but it also costs a lot more money in the end. Like you, I first had a pair of M50's, I actually found that I became the most displeased with their sound after I paired them with a decent source/amp. Now they're just a dedicated vacuuming/dishwashing/other things around the house headphone.

Although I've only owned my HD800's for a bit over a week and a half now I'm definitely enjoying them and they beat anything I've previously owned.

Don't forget that M50 will sound decent plugged into most sources while HD800 will NOT.  
wink.gif

M50 is a great pair of HP for the price and stilled used by a lot of audio professionals.  Just because you are buying a pair of HD800 doesn't mean M50 is garbage.  Whether you dislike the sound signature of the M50 is of course a personal matter.  There's no hype when it comes to M50.  Simple as that.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #15,984 of 28,989
  Valhalla 2 is a great option and complements both hp's exceptionally. Also consider:

*Bottlehead Crack

*Woo wa3

*Schiit Vali

+1.

I personally will pick the Vali.  For the $, great little amp for HD800.
Crack will be my 2nd choice. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #15,986 of 28,989
  Even though I wasn't immediately impressed and like the HD800 sound signature at first, by no mean the sound was veiled.  I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me borrow his HD800 for a few weeks.  I bought my own right after that.  
beerchug.gif

Same, A friend lent me his and I just could not live without them. 

I would say the HD800 are the lest veiled headphone I have heard. It does not have that HD600/650 minor veil at all. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #15,988 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back