The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #15,950 of 28,989

Interesting, four over ear models had their buy buttons removed: HD800, RS220, MM 500-X, PC 350 SE.

Also the HDVD600 and HDVD800 DAC + Amps. If the HD800 and HDVDX00 are hand-made, it's simply due to holiday demands (alot of people buy things around this time of period) and Sennheiser workers on holiday.

The HD650 and HD600 are still being sold for example so that won't be a reason for a new flagship headphone.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #15,951 of 28,989
Also the HDVD600 and HDVD800 DAC + Amps. If the HD800 and HDVDX00 are hand-made, it's simply due to holiday demands (alot of people buy things around this time of period) and Sennheiser workers on holiday.

The HD650 and HD600 are still being sold for example so that won't be a reason for a new flagship headphone.

Exactly my thoughts :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #15,953 of 28,989
It's really a sign that Sennheiser is going under.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #15,957 of 28,989
Looking to purchase an HD800 next week (or in 3 weeks, depends how badly I want to eat ramen for the next two weeks). To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I can already power an HD800 from my sound card, and the dac is probably good enough to hold me over for a while. Though would really like a nice setup eventually. 

Here are a few combinations I've been looking at so far:

Fiio E18 (Something for home and mobile use)
Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2
Modi 2 Uber / Lyr (Not sure I'd care too much for rolling. Is the Lyr just a Valhalla with rolling tubes?)
Crack OTL + Speedball (Would need to find a pre-built version) (Also would need a recommended DAC to pair it with, unless it comes with one)
Triad L3 Lion / Geek Out SE (Recommended by zerodeefex)

My dac/amp budget would be $1000, but would definitely prefer to spend less. If I can get good sound (even if it's not absolutely perfect) for less, that's the way I'd like to go. I've heard the Schiit Bifrost is good, but then I've already read the Modi 2 Uber is essentially a mini Bifrost. Not sure how true that statement is, but it's surely cheaper. As for mobile amp/dac setups, are they just not as good, or does a mobile solution exist for plugging into your smartphone such as the E18 that can sound almost, or as good as a desktop setup?

Thanks for your help guys.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #15,958 of 28,989
An amp you might want to consider that I've found to pair well with the HD800's and others have recommended as well is the M^3. They're a bit harder to come by these days, they're a bit of an oldie by a goodie and you can probably get a good deal on one that'll punch above your its weight in terms of value.

Full disclosure, I say that while currently listing mine on the marketplace, though I'm considering keeping it for future use as a change of pace amp to my incoming BHA-1.

EDIT: As for the Modi 2, I haven't heard it yet but the Modi was very good for the price. I currently own an optical version and used to own a USB one. I can't tell you how well it pairs with the HD800's though since it's my office DAC.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #15,960 of 28,989
I wouldn't recommend the geek out SE + L3 lion for a desktop setup. The combo costs $1700. For that money you can get something beefier. That's a great combo due to portability.

$1700 is dicey territory. At that price range I'd do wyrd + modi 2 + Valhalla 2 and save up for the Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back