The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #15,871 of 28,989

That's true, I compared all kind of headphones (incl. flag ships from HiFiMan, Audeze, AKG, Beyerdynamic) and only the really expensive STAX 009 tops the HD800 for classic music listening, but the big price difference and no portable use was a big no go for me. And with crossfeed enabled, the awesome sound stage from the HD800 is now like real stereo loud speakers and a dream setup for classic fans.
beerchug.gif

What do you use for crossfeed?

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #15,872 of 28,989
Hello!
I'm a new HD800 owner and would like a bit of advice on desktop amps :)
I'm running my HD800 off a Fiio X3 at the moment and honestly it sounds great. I'm generally using volume settings of about 25-35 out of 60 on high gain so the amp is clearly not working at max load. Bass is very nice and booming when the piece has lots of it (think John William's marches, Federick Fennell's interpretations etc.) and the soundstage is fabulous. I'm even picking up details (yes - even in the bass range) which I didn't' notice previously with my Roxanne IEMs
How will a desktop amp (I'm looking at the Valhalla 2) change the listening experience? Would it just change the color of the sound so it sounds different (and more pleasing to some) or does it actually improve the sound coming out of the headphones?
Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately I can't get to an audio shop for a while yet to come so I can only read up.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #15,873 of 28,989
With all due respect to the X3, the HD800 surely deserves a much better source. Eg 901 or DX90?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #15,874 of 28,989

What do you use for crossfeed?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/15870#post_11161589

The iFi micro iDSD built-in crossfeed is perfect (called 3D sound), no need for software solutions or other sources.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #15,875 of 28,989
  Hello!
I'm a new HD800 owner and would like a bit of advice on desktop amps :)
I'm running my HD800 off a Fiio X3 at the moment and honestly it sounds great. I'm generally using volume settings of about 25-35 out of 60 on high gain so the amp is clearly not working at max load. Bass is very nice and booming when the piece has lots of it (think John William's marches, Federick Fennell's interpretations etc.) and the soundstage is fabulous. I'm even picking up details (yes - even in the bass range) which I didn't' notice previously with my Roxanne IEMs
How will a desktop amp (I'm looking at the Valhalla 2) change the listening experience? Would it just change the color of the sound so it sounds different (and more pleasing to some) or does it actually improve the sound coming out of the headphones?
Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately I can't get to an audio shop for a while yet to come so I can only read up.

Agree with KT66 that you may want to consider a better source instead since the headphone amp that you are using seems able to drive the HD800 properly. So upgrading the source is a more value for money option - u will likely experience a greater upgrade with a DAC/source change vs amplifier change. 

However, to answer your question on how things will change if you upgrade to a desktop amplifier - I would say that you will probably get better amplification of the headphone because there is more space to play with to obtain a better design, and the ability to use mains power will increase the amp's power output. I can't comment on the Valhalla 2 though as I don't use tube amps.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #15,876 of 28,989
What are people's opinions on the best/good paired amps for the HD800 in the sub $1000 used price point? Trying to find out my end game amp or if I should just keep my M3 and accept this is as close to the pinnacle as I get.

My current contenders are:
Lehmann BCL
Schiit Mjolnir
Headamp GS-X mk2
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #15,877 of 28,989
  What are people's opinions on the best/good paired amps for the HD800 in the sub $1000 used price point? Trying to find out my end game amp or if I should just keep my M3 and accept this is as close to the pinnacle as I get.

Lehmann BCL
Schiit Mjolnir
Headamp GS-X mk2
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1

Which DAC are you using?   My Metrum Octave MkII saved me from selling my HD800.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #15,879 of 28,989

Lehmann BCL
Schiit Mjolnir
Headamp GS-X mk2
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1

The GSX MKII is a great amp but there's basically no chance you will find one used for under $1000. Or $2000.

Low production volume and long wait times keep used prices high.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #15,881 of 28,989
The GSX MKII is a great amp but there's basically no chance you will find one used for under $1000. Or $2000.

Low production volume and long wait times keep used prices high.

Yea... I thought about emailing justin to get in line.... but I don't think I have that kind of patience.

Completely understand. It's a very different buying experience.
I bought a Bryston BHA-1 to hold me over during the wait. I thought it was a very good amp - listened to a friends HD800 through it briefly and liked what I heard.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #15,882 of 28,989

Lehmann BCL
Schiit Mjolnir
Headamp GS-X mk2
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1

The Burson Soloist is a great pairing. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #15,883 of 28,989
Violectric V281
Auralic Taurus
Schiit Ragnarok

Those are three i would seriously consider if you were looking at the GS-X~

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #15,884 of 28,989

Lehmann BCL
Schiit Mjolnir
Headamp GS-X mk2
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1

If I have to stay within the confines of the list, then I would pick the v200.
i had the v200 for over a year with the HD800 and it was a great pairing. The slightly warm character of the v200 really goes well with the HD800, made the highs smooth and detailed and also brought out midrange too.
Unfortunately I find the newer v281 loses some of that magic in the pursuit of increased highs and soundstage..

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #15,885 of 28,989
If I have to stay within the confines of the list, then I would pick the v200.
i had the v200 for over a year with the HD800 and it was a great pairing. The slightly warm character of the v200 really goes well with the HD800, made the highs smooth and detailed and also brought out midrange too.
Unfortunately I find the newer v281 loses some of that magic in the pursuit of increased highs and soundstage..

Anything in particular that you would recommend that isn't on the list? Thanks for the input. I'm only transitioning now from mid-fi into higher end stuff and haven't had the chance to audition much of the better stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back