The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #13,321 of 28,989
Sorrodje

No i sold my HD800 recently only to collect some cash for one KGGSHV :wink:
I still not sure that selling my HD800 was the right thing to do, but needed the money.

I'm still waiting for my KGSSHV so I've actually never listen to my 009 yet!!

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #13,322 of 28,989
  So the Bakoon HPA-01 I ordered a while back came in today. This is a special amp because it output current gain, rather than voltage gain like pretty much every other amp. Because of current rather than voltage output, the amount of amplification is directly influenced by the impedance. For headphones with flat impedance curves like planars, it wouldn't be much different than traditional voltage amps, but for headphones that do not have a flat impedance like the HD800, each frequency will be amplified differently depending on the impedance at that frequency. Thus, it becomes colored for sure for a headphone like the HD800.

Pretty much if you're a huge fan of the HD650, and you're sad that the HD800 is more the spiritual successor to the HD600 in sound signature, and the closest thing you get is the black-sheep HD700, the Bakoon may be the amp for you. The difference is enough to be two difference headphones. Who needs a complementary headphone, when you get a complementary amp.
tongue.gif

Here are some early impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier/465#post_10814306

More on this current mode technology:
http://www.bakoonproducts.com/technology/satri-circuit/

This is well said. I particularly liked the phrase "spiritual successor." 

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #13,323 of 28,989
Changing cables doesn't add anything IMO, and the stock cable on HD800 are really nice quality cable.
On the other hand sometimes I felt It was way to long with 3m I could easily live with one half the size and I where close to buying one fine cable from Forza audio works, just to get a shorter one.

Lucky you.  You save money that way.

I cannot afford to be as dismissive of changing cables as my experience is completely the opposite:  of all the headphones I own,  the HD800 (and the PS1000) is just about the most sensitive to cables.

My suggestion:  other links in your chain may be the limiting factor (s).  

It is true that, in terms of relative impact on the sound,  roughly, source > amp > cable.  But I could still easily hear the difference between the stock cable, silver cable (Silver Widow) and copper cable (Copper Venom) through my home system using the HD800.  But through my much more modest desk-top system at work, the cable made very little  difference. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #13,324 of 28,989
  Lucky you.  You save money that way.

I cannot afford to be as dismissive of changing cables as my experience is completely the opposite:  of all the headphones I own,  the HD800 (and the PS1000) is just about the most sensitive to cables.

My suggestion:  other links in your chain may be the limiting factor (s).  

It is true that, in terms of relative impact on the sound,  roughly, source > amp > cable.  But I could still easily hear the difference between the stock cable, silver cable (Silver Widow) and copper cable (Copper Venom) through my home system using the HD800.  But through my much more modest desk-top system at work, the cable made very little  difference. 

+ 100

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #13,326 of 28,989
Does the Sonett have balanced inputs or only SE inputs?  I'm wondering if the Sonett is a balanced amp or not.  If not the balanced output will  should sound the same as the SE output.  I'm just guessing here.

It's a single ended gain stage with balanced outputs provided by the output transformer. He has a white paper on his website about it. A lot of tube headphone amps are like this though

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #13,327 of 28,989
  Some comments about balanced headphone drive
I am frequently asked why an amplifier with balanced outputs does not include balanced inputs. This is because balanced inputs are not necessary to provide balanced headphone drive. Being a single ended amplifier, all it needs for input is a single ended (unbalanced) signal. The Sonett 2 operates single ended triode with transformer loading the plate of the 6H30 amplification tubes. The secondary windings on the output transformers are center tapped (and grounded for safety), thereby providing a true, differential, balanced output. Thus, you get balanced drive without the complexity from additional balanced input circuitry or input transformers. Again, the simpler - the better.

From http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-2-headphone-amplifier.html .

My skills in electronics are close to inexistant so I don't know if the Sonett's Balanced mode is equal to other balanced mode ?

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,329 of 28,989

The Silver Widow from Toxic Cables is a great match with the HD800's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/641166/toxic-cables-silver-widow-headphone-cable-review

Just a word of caution: longbowbbs'  review of the Silver Widow was with the HD-650 not the HD800, which is a different animal when it comes to cable and amp.

Now another viewpoint.  I personally found that the HD800 was positively allergic to anything containing silver (see my discussion in http://www.head-fi.org/t/729976/matching-headphones-cables-amplifiers-harder-than-it-should-be-very-long-post)

I tried the HD800 with the Silver Poison and found the sound unbearably sibilant and hard. I am not saying that the Silver Poison is a bad cable, very far from it, it just is not a good match for the HD800.  On the other hand,  I tried both the Silver Poison and the Silver Widow with the LCD2 and LCD3 and they work absolutely great together.

I personally found Frank's Copper Venom (OCC copper; 22 AWG rectangular wires; cryo treatment)  to be the best match for the HD800 (and the HE-6). Though the Copper Venom ain't cheap--I think they cost even more than the Silver Widow--I have never found anything better even at three times the price. 

Frank, you always wanted to know what I did with all those cables I bought from you.  Now you know.

Caution? I use Silver Widows with my HD800's. I have had them for a long time and they crush the stock cables. The Bass is better and the small gold content takes the edge off the treble. Great cables and a nice final piece of the sonic puzzle.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #13,330 of 28,989

^This.....Still, it does not mean you cannot have decent performance with lower end amps. Top end Sennheiser's (HD650's & HD800's) scale very well and reward the listener when they improve the chain. I love mine, but it took awhile to get there.

I want to apologize for my bad attitude last night.  

I totally agree its a journey.

Maybe the thing I love about the HD800 most, the more you go up the ladder (Amp, DAC, Source) the better it sounds.

No worry's Randy! The HD800's really bring the joy when combined with the right gear. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #13,331 of 28,989
Caution? I use Silver Widows with my HD800's. I have had them for a long time and they crush the stock cables. The Bass is better and the small gold content takes the edge off the treble. Great cables and a nice final piece of the sonic puzzle.

Oh I agree. The Silver Widow “crush[es]” the stock cable on the HD800. I still think there is good reason to proceed cautiously when it comes to finding the right cable for the HD800, which is exceedingly picky—only the PS1000 is harder to please.

The Silver Widow is a superlative cable—I have not found anything even at five times its price to outperform it with my LCD3. It is a very neutral and highly transparent cable. It is ultra-fast and capable of throwing a huge sound-stage. Its ability to convey minute inner-details is also un-matched. I found the Silver Widow to be the best cable for the LCD2 and LCD3 and the TH-900 (though some out-patient surgery is required here as the stock cable is not detachable), but not the HD800.

The Silver Widow (and the Silver Poison, which I also tried) reinforces all the strengths of the HD800 but unfortunately all its weaknesses as well. The HD800 bass, already very deep and taut, becomes way too tight with diminished impact. The transients are lightning fast leading to over-etched details. The HD800 voice is further tilted upward toward the trebles with added sibilance and edginess. Try Allison Krauss SACD Now that I Found You. On the second cut (Atlanta), her beautiful voice started to sound strident, and a few times, the hissing was so strong I had the feeling she was a Slytherin speaking parseltongue. With the tonal balance thus tilted toward the high frequencies, the HD800 becomes even more prone to sibilance and stridency and un-forgiving of any recording that is less than pristine.

I found that the Copper Venom, also from Frank’s Toxic Cables, was a better “match” for the HD800. As you know, the Copper Venom uses OCC 22-AWG rectangular wires and similar cryogenic treatment as the Silver Widow. I do not think they are as transparent or as revealing as the Silver Widow but they seem to transmit less treble energy (my speculations) which definitely helps reduce the HD800’s tendency toward sibilance and stridence. The Copper Venom also adds smoothness and warmth to the HD800 midrange—exactly what the Doctor ordered—while leaving the delicate details and huge soundstage of the HD800 largely unaffected. The bass also gets a slight bloom that contributes to much better impact.

These were not the only two cables I tried with the HD800. Over a period of about three years, I must have tried over a dozen cables that shall remain nameless as I do not want to antagonize their fans needlessly. In general, copper cables were better match for the HD800 than silver-coated or silver cables, though I must say that Frank’s Silver Poison (4-wire) and Silver Widow (8-wire) fared far better than any other silver cables I tried with the HD800—it must be all that gold he added and the magic surface treatment. But ultimately, for my musical and sonic taste, the combination Copper Venom/HD800 was a clear winner.
Cheers,

Justin Time (ST)

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #13,332 of 28,989
When I go to Toxic Cables' website I don't find Copper Venom at all. Is it discontinued?

All I see for HD800 is Silver Poison and Viper.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #13,333 of 28,989
They are good cables but please mentally prepare yourself for a long wait (about 6 months). I placed an order in April , still waiting. The site in not updated, you will have to send him an email.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #13,334 of 28,989
  They are good cables but please mentally prepare yourself for a long wait (about 6 months). I placed an order in April , still waiting. The site in not updated, you will have to send him an email.

Yup hes a busy man... Some would say too busy! 6 months is a stupid amount of time to wait for any component in this hobby. I think I waited about 3 weeks when I bought one of his cables about 2 year ago. 

He needs to get some staff :) 

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #13,335 of 28,989
When I go to Toxic Cables' website I don't find Copper Venom at all. Is it discontinued?

All I see for HD800 is Silver Poison and Viper.

Frank never updated his website.

The way to order is through email (PM). You can find this info in the Toxic Cable Appreciation thread.

The information on his cable was given in just several posts before this one, I believe. If not PM me. I may have it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back