The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #13,066 of 28,989
that
Purrin, thanks.....my Guess is a good DAC, is a good DAC, for either HD800 or HE560's, looking at the Gungnir, love the dynamics, it as the original promise of digital. Thought I could live without the 800, but after speaking to Matt, eventually I must have one.

There are plenty of people around here who couldn't stand the Gungnir coupled w/ the HD800-myself included. In fact it's the only dac I've owned so far that gave me problems with the Senn. Way to aggressive and somewhat bright sounding made for a terrible pairing to my ears-with a few different amps even. Also, it's definitely not the last word in microdetail or soundstage depth, thus hindering a couple of the 800s main strengths.

As always, try to audition one, everything's subjective, ymmv yadda yadda. My .02.

-Daniel

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #13,067 of 28,989
It seems logic and reason has taken a back seat in this thread. If I was a noob I would imagine the HD800 as some wild beast that needs putting in a cage. The truth is that it's voiced in a way that is amazing or frustrating depending on the recording. No amount of tweaking in the last 5 years has changed that fact so shouldn't we just accept that it's the nature of the HD800 'beast' ? ( basically what I'm saying is if we can't agree that analaxus mod plus (insert expensive tube amp) makes the HD800 into something it's not then surely it's time look at other options? I personally think the HD800 is a remarkable headphone but it can't polish a turd. A schiit recording is a schiit recording! For them recordings I reach for something to hide the truth. Heck somedays I prefer my car stereo to any of my gear. It is what it is. I'm not saying we shouldn't crave for more ( this is headfi) but sometimes it's good just to appreciate and enjoy how lucky we all are to be able to hear music in such privileged way instead of looking for faults that can't be fixed. Not many people can say that. Sorry for the rant but I just felt the urge for some perspective. Love you all! James :)

Keep in mind some of those turds that need polishing aren't just recordings, but also some crap gear. The HD800 is a sonic chameleon.

-Daniel

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #13,068 of 28,989
It seems logic and reason has taken a back seat in this thread.

I don't understand why ?

PS : No offense here but I really don't understand your point :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #13,069 of 28,989
Keep in mind some of those turds that need polishing aren't just recordings, but also some crap gear. The HD800 is a sonic chameleon.

-Daniel

You say that but surely if that was the case we would all have settled on a rig already. Even the ones that seem happy mention a future upgrade which suggests they are not 100% satisfied no? Basically nobody has convinced this thread of a setup that rules them all. Eq would be more effective to suit individual tastes .

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #13,070 of 28,989
I don't understand why ?

PS : No offense here but I really don't understand your point :)

Basically lots of misleading, exaggerated and subjective posts about amps and dacs. It's like everyone forgot that opinions do need to be backed up with evidence to have any meaning. Some influential people in here and many will just accept their opinion as fact .

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #13,071 of 28,989
You say that but surely if that was the case we would all have settled on a rig already. Even the ones that seem happy mention a future upgrade which suggests they are not 100% satisfied no? Basically nobody has convinced this thread of a setup that rules them all. Eq would be more effective to suit individual tastes .

Just the opposite actually...we haven't all settled on a rig because it is a chameleon. Meaning the rigs all sound different because the HD800 is such a sonic microscope, and frankly, never the weak link in the chain. It's ceiling, if you will, will likely never be reached, especially on any reasonable budget. Subjectively sure, objectively, doubtful. That's part of the fun of the 800s imo-being able to test other gears on.

Don't get me wrong, I can absolutely enjoy the Senns on a budget amp/dac like many here can attest to. But to dismiss the fact (not pointing fingers here) that the Senn can't scale markedly better on much higher end equipment, serves an injustice to both the listener and the Senns. Could I be happy with the Senns long term with a very modest Vali/Bifrost combo? Absolutely! Does that combo reach the satisfaction I heard from a ZDSE or P1u even? Hell no.

-Daniel

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #13,072 of 28,989
Basically lots of misleading, exaggerated and subjective posts about amps and dacs. It's like everyone forgot that opinions do need to be backed up with evidence to have any meaning. Some influential people in here and many will just accept their opinion as fact .

Is that an opinion or a fact ?
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #13,076 of 28,989
I know you did the IMO - I don't that's correct to recommend a beginner.   The amp / HD800 paring is definitely more important.  Yeah - I see that's your opinion.  This is just mine I guess.

Yup I can also understand where you coming from and yes I think my opinion was in the context of it might be harder to gain more for hd800 assuming one already has a decent level of amp performance/output maybe like a v200 or soloist while HE6 continue to scale more with amp.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #13,078 of 28,989

Thanks James, I'll certainly try that. I worry though that it won't be more trebly enough - that it'll be too similar and that there's a better (likely more recent/more expensive) solution. Anyone else have any suggestions for alternate 'phone or whether I can 'fix' the HD800 missing midrange issue with an amp and/or cable?

Really? Ah jeez. It just got more complicated 
rolleyes.gif

Ian

You might be interested in the DEALS thread recent posting on special on the Sennheiser HD 600:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/6645#post_10798359

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,079 of 28,989

You might be interested in the DEALS thread recent posting on special on the Sennheiser HD 600:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/6645#post_10798359

Thanks for the tip!!

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #13,080 of 28,989
 A schiit recording is a schiit recording! For them recordings I reach for something to hide the truth. 

I know this belief is widespread, but it has never made any sense to me.  I listen to a lot of clipped, closed-in, close-miked digital recordings, and I want them to sound exactly as they sound.  Sometimes the bad recording quality detracts from the music, in my eyes, but I can't fix that problem by glossing over it.

I don't see the urge to hide the truth as being true to our purpose here.  We should strive for fidelity, friend, not euphony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back