The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #12,902 of 29,010
I liked the Mini Torii? with HD800s when I heard it years ago. It was very a lushing sounding euphonic amp with good technicalities. I was familar with source or recordings used so I cannot say much more.

Sonnet2 should probably be there on the list. HD800 works out of the box with it. Same sonic signature as Stratus, but plays it more straight because it lacks the DHTs. The Stratus' DHT sound is like an all body massage.

Thanks Marv

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #12,903 of 29,010
http://www.tubecad.com/october99/page4.html

https://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/docs/WCFOptimization.pdf

Valhalla 2 indeed uses this topology, as they mention on their spec page. Read through that Cavalli white paper as I think it explains it very well.

White Cathode Follower is not what I would consider a global feedback loop though. More of a local degeneration that uses a triode (in place of a resistor or another form of biasing device). Let's also keep in mind that most circuits use degeneration to some extent, even those that advertise themselves as "no-feedback".

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #12,904 of 29,010

Sonnet2 should probably be there on the list. HD800 works out of the box with it. Same sonic signature as Stratus, but plays it more straight because it lacks the DHTs. The Stratus' DHT sound is like an all body massage.

Thks. Can you develop please? My english is not good enough to catch precisely your feelings. Where could sit the Sonett in your list compared to an for example EC S7 or a Valhalla .What does mean "more straight" ?

One other point: which amps would you qualify "gooey" with the HD800 ?

The main problem with the HD800 IMO is precisely to keep its strenghts ( great sense of space and detail with a very specfic way to present the music in a kind of diffuse field but without  lack of power or impact) , and to tame its flaws ( dryness and/some  harshness )

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #12,905 of 29,010
  Would you consider the recent EC's end game by any chance? I'm having these in serious consideration but only the ECBA uses the tubes that I have.

They had better be. If not-what is? I plan on the Leviathan as my endgame, so I hope it delivers. By all accounts it will. If I were you I'd look at the EC2A3 mkIV or EC445 for your HD800/planar needs. The ECBA is somewhat polarizing regarding the HD800 specifically-and won't do the more power hungry planars justice either. You might also check out the ZDSE or DNA Stratus which are cheaper than the above mentioned.

-Daniel

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #12,906 of 29,010

Thks. Can you develop please? My english is not good enough to catch precisely your feelings. Where could sit the Sonett in your list compared to an for example EC S7 or a Valhalla .What does mean "more straight" ?

One other point: which amps would you qualify "gooey" with the HD800 ?

The main problem with the HD800 IMO is precisely to keep its strenghts ( great sense of space and detail with a very specfic way to present the music in a kind of diffuse field but without  lack of power or impact) , and to tame its flaws ( dryness and/some  harshness )

I sat down and listened to Sonnett 2 with some high ohm Beyers and HD800, and I was like, wow this sounds a lot like the Stratus w/ Donald's signature sound. An improvement in clarity over the Sonnett 1 which I have stated that I really did not care for. So the Sonnet sounded pretty good. That is until I heard Status, which I have more clarity, separation, space, microdynamics which sort of make everything come alive.

Sonnett 2 is like getting a good quality massage from like this:

Stratus (with the recent improvements) is like getting a massage from her:

but imagine her completely naked covered in soapy suds and she rubbing her [dedacted] and [dedacted] over your back and buns.

I could be exaggerating the differences, but I think it depends upon alot upon personal sensitivities. I kind of felt the Stratus was the better deal despite being twice the price. But Sonnett is excellent as long as you never hear the Stratus.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #12,908 of 29,010

I sat down and listened to Sonnett 2 with some high ohm Beyers and HD800, and I was like, wow this sounds a lot like the Stratus w/ Donald's signature sound. An improvement in clarity over the Sonnett 1 which I have stated that I really did not care for. So the Sonnet sounded pretty good. That is until I heard Status, which I have more clarity, separation, space, microdynamics which sort of make everything come alive.

but imagine her completely naked covered in soapy suds and she rubbing her [dedacted] and [dedacted] over your back and buns.

I could be exaggerating the differences, but I think it depends upon alot upon personal sensitivities. I kind of felt the Stratus was the better deal despite being twice the price. But Sonnett is excellent as long as you never hear the Stratus.

My experience with the Stratus has been different than yours.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #12,909 of 29,010

My experience with the Stratus has been different than yours.

rofl...you made my spit my drink across the room with that one. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #12,910 of 29,010

Sold, cannot afford it presently, but damn I need that Stratus!

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #12,911 of 29,010
Bah. My EC 2A3mkIV destroys with the hd800. Especially with we417 drivers

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #12,913 of 29,010
Oh my!! I knew I wasn't crazy. That ARCAM is serious serious fidelity. I'm pairing with a Burson with an audioquest king cobra cable and a Pangea 9se AC power cable for the Burson through a Furman 8 a PST power conditioner. I'm wondering if sound through a headphone listening experience can really get better for me? I think the 'end game' for me would be to purchase the CHORDETTE CUTE EX DAC. 1795$ price tag! :frowning2:
Anyway. Thanks for the killer impressions. Happy listening to you. Oh and your advice or opinion on my head-rig is always welcome. Thanks. Great feedback.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #12,914 of 29,010
Not sure about the NAD, but I've just auditioned the Arcam irDAC and the MF M1DAC today, and IMO the irDAC wins (by a slight margin). The M1DAC does have a more forward presentation, but it sounds a bit unbalanced IMO. The bass sounds weaker and at the same time, not as controlled compared to the Arcam. The mids of the Arcam sounds thicker, which to me gives it a more 'fun' and enjoyable character. The highs of the Arcam, while not as forward as the M1DAC, sounds much cleaner to me. The M1DAC's treble sounds a bit harsher sometimes. Regarding soundstage, while the M1DAC does have a more '3-dimensional presentation', the Arcam's soundstaging sounds more natural to me.

While the M1DAC does come with balanced outs, to be honest I can't distinguish any difference balanced input makes on an amp (was using an HDVA600, with CH800S balanced cable). The sound gets louder with balanced input, but that's about it. When I match the volume, I can't hear any difference between XLR-in and RCA-in at all. So in the end, I think I'd prefer the Arcam irDAC to the M1DAC. But there's still the Benchmark DAC1-USB to be auditioned, and the NAD D1050, so I'm not rushing into any decision.

PS: The Arcam irDAC can be used as a (decent?) USB-COAX converter, which I guess could come in handy if I decide to upgrade my DAC in the future.

Oh my!! I knew I wasn't crazy. That ARCAM is serious serious fidelity. I'm pairing with a Burson with an audioquest king cobra cable and a Pangea 9se AC power cable for the Burson through a Furman 8 a PST power conditioner. I'm wondering if sound through a headphone listening experience can really get better for me? I think the 'end game' for me would be to purchase the CHORDETTE CUTE EX DAC. 1795$ price tag! :frowning2:
Anyway. Thanks for the killer impressions. Happy listening to you. Oh and your advice or opinion on my head-rig is always welcome. Thanks. Great feedback.

What do you think of the cyrus 8a headphone amp in the integrated amp itself?? I'm thinking of trading my Burson soloist for it cause I wanna get loud speakers. I'm sure OPAMPS or at least some can compete with class A amp designs and signal pathways?? Maybe. Not sure.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #12,915 of 29,010
Bah. My EC 2A3mkIV destroys with the hd800. Especially with we417 drivers

We417 is scary good. Your setup is more like being touched by the hand of God (0D says it's more like a handle from the holy ghost). Different experience. Some may prefer the soapy suds experience with [redacted] at Watercourse Way in Palo Alto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back