The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #12,916 of 29,017
Bah. My EC 2A3mkIV destroys with the hd800. Especially with we417 drivers

Pretty expensive tube amp. What DAC are you pairing with the Eddie current? :smirk::thumbsup:

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #12,917 of 29,017
Crashem, wait til you do 2 EML mesh, 2 AVVTs:

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/AVVT/2A3/Mesh-Plate/116161

Then the touching you're experiencing that Purrin is alluding too will get more intimate.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #12,918 of 29,017
I sat down and listened to Sonnett 2 with some high ohm Beyers and HD800, and I was like, wow this sounds a lot like the Stratus w/ Donald's signature sound. An improvement in clarity over the Sonnett 1 which I have stated that I really did not care for. So the Sonnet sounded pretty good. That is until I heard Status, which I have more clarity, separation, space, microdynamics which sort of make everything come alive.

Ah ah ah. I see clearly what you mean. You're really selling dreams!

But what about the sonett vs. Valhalla or bottlehead crack or other amps of your list?

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #12,919 of 29,017
From the k712 thread:
"ASR: I just recently re-acquired a pair of these headphones.

Holy crap I'd forgotten how good they are. I'm impressed all over again by their sound—overall just a great performer in almost every aspect that brings near-complete musical satisfaction to my ears. And at their current price on Amazon ($349) they're totally a must-buy for anyone who hasn't yet heard one! Even though they're "only" $500 MSRP, I definitely think they're end-game headphones easily, over dynamic flagships like the HD800, T1, and TH900, and even planar magnetics like the Audeze and HiFiMan models (including the newest HE-560)."

Has anyone else compared the K712 to HD800?

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #12,920 of 29,017
From the k712 thread:

Holy crap I'd forgotten how good they are. I'm impressed all over again by their sound—overall just a great performer in almost every aspect that brings near-complete musical satisfaction to my ears. And at their current price on Amazon ($349) they're totally a must-buy for anyone who hasn't yet heard one! Even though they're "only" $500 MSRP, I definitely think they're end-game headphones easily, over dynamic flagships like the HD800, T1, and TH900, and even planar magnetics like the Audeze and HiFiMan models (including the newest HE-560)."

I've listened to the K712 numerous times, and IMO it compares more to the K/Q70x than the HD800. The soundstage, while enormous, comes with neither-here-nor-there imaging. The centerstage is absent, making the super-stereo effect very obvious. It's not a bad headphone, but comparing it to the HD800 and T1, it's a no contest.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #12,921 of 29,017
That's why i asked, i find it weird that he wrote that the K712 sounds better than the HD800, i had the K701 and didn't liked it at all, , and then i had the HD800, which is in a different leauge!
I never heard the K712 but i really doubt they are better than the HD800.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #12,922 of 29,017
Typical K7XX soundstage with diffuse phantom center, aka oval soundstage with bad imaging/staging in the center and emphasized more towards the sides. 

However for the price they are great and with respect to the price ranges they should be high on the recommendation list. Above factors sound terrible but only in comparison with the other mentioned HPs. 

The HD 800 is over 1000 bucks more. 
much better at everything

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #12,923 of 29,017
  Typical K7XX soundstage with diffuse phantom center, aka oval soundstage with bad imaging/staging in the center and emphasized more towards the sides. 

However for the price they are great and with respect to the price ranges they should be high on the recommendation list. Above factors sound terrible but only in comparison with the other mentioned HPs. 

The HD 800 is over 1000 bucks more. 
much better at everything

Yup.  This.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #12,924 of 29,017
From the k712 thread:

I wrote early on how strikingly similar the measurements are other than distortion.  Also the driver design are pretty similar SPWild mentioned.  Makes sense to give it direct comparison for a fair chance.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #12,925 of 29,017
I do not find the GS-X mk2 + HD800 to be too bright. Actually I have surprised myself by pulling out my dusty Headroom MicroDAC which I long abandoned because I thought it a bit on the bright side. Until I go balanced with a better DAC, it seems to be my source that best provides the level of detail that the combo deserves.

The result certainly is not dark and laid back but it is not excessively bright to my ears.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #12,926 of 29,017
Ah ah ah. I see clearly what you mean. You're really selling dreams!

To present an alternate view - one person there said the Stratus was clearer and smoother and Sonnett had a snap timbre (in a not good way.) Not a huge difference. But I can say that I am very familiar with Stratus and other of Donalds amps and small differences tend to mean more to me than others.

But what about the sonett vs. Valhalla or bottlehead crack or other amps of your list?

Hard to say without putting them all together with same source. Vahalla probably plays it more honest than the others, letting the HD800 be bright, but its also the fastest sounding. With Val2, I would use Anax mods and/or cable. On Sonnett 2 I preferred with un-modded HD800s. Crack really needs the speedball and can sound very different based on tubes, but 120 output impedance will have a very measurable effect on the bass, and in typical arrangements Crack is warmish. Sonnett 2 is probably the most tubey "wet" with Vahalla the least.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #12,927 of 29,017
Ok thks :wink:

I think I have all information I need to decide my own strategy. I'll stay on my current rig until I have enough money & enough desire & enough space somewhere in my home to upgrade to something like a Stratus + Metrum Hex rig . What I'm looking for is definitely a bit more clarity without loosing this analog kind of sound so your feelings are really helpful. :cheers: . I imagine you tried the Sonett with stock tubes. I swapped the JJ rectifiers for a nos mullard one :wink: . it's a real improvement with more sparkle/Clarity IMO.

For now I'm definitely happy with what I have. My HD800 (unmodded) + Metrum Octave + Sonett 2 sounds right and homogeneous to my ears with the music I like and I usually listen to . Indeed , the combo is more oriented to make the HD800 a better allrounder . it's what I was after when I've choosen those components.  I've lost something for Classical but I've gained so much for other genre.
L3000.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #12,929 of 29,017
  I'm sorry for the weird question, but what is exactly the matriel that the HD800 is made of, i mean i know it's plastic, but what type is it? it has to be more durable than normal plastic.

According to Tyll at InnerFidelity it is "Leona plastic--a 60% glass fiber filled, high stiffness specialized plastic".

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12,930 of 29,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back