The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #12,151 of 28,989
Added the Metrum to my list, thanks. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #12,153 of 28,989
I have these combo for 1.5 years. I like them, but it will depend a lot on the source. I slightly prefer zana though when compare between both (using my previous audio-gd ref5 fed by ap2). More dynamic and engaging while soloist more laid back.

That's the thing with the Burson. It has this laid-back character that sometimes hinders me in terms of wanting to get into the music and really enjoying it (as in foot tapping). But to me the HD 800 is not that type of HP as well (as opposed to say the TH 900). 

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #12,155 of 28,989
I have heard the 800 also on a couple of very good SS amps. I would rather have a good SS amp to complement my Crack/800's than more hp's at this point in the game. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #12,157 of 28,989
Crack and hd800 is just right for me. Perfect combination of value and performance. Sure you can go better but you have to spend so much more

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #12,158 of 28,989
Talk to me, my good man. What SS amp do you like with the 800? My Mojo is not suited to the 800, IMO

Crack and hd800 is just right for me. Perfect combination of value and performance. Sure you can go better but you have to spend so much more

There is a lot of bang for the buck goodness in the 800/crack combo. It's a rich, organic flavor that the crack puts into the 800. I'm not sure that anything at the price point can compete...maybe the Vali, but I haven't had the Vali and the 800 at the same time, so I won't comment. 

With regard to SS amps, the gs-x mkii is the end game amp for the 800 IMO.  I'd love to hear that amp again and compare it at the same time with the Crack. My memory recalls better bass and more transparency with the gs-x mkii. It was better across the board TBH...but also 10x the price. If I had the money, I'd buy the gs-x and be done. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #12,159 of 28,989

With regard to SS amps, the gs-x mkii is the end game amp for the 800 IMO.  I'd love to hear that amp again and compare it at the same time with the Crack. My memory recalls better bass and more transparency with the gs-x mkii. It was better across the board TBH...but also 10x the price. If I had the money, I'd buy the gs-x and be done. 

Looks like the GS-X is the endgame amp for a lot of HPs. Wonder how that does with the HE 6. Then I'd be done with SS amps at least.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #12,164 of 28,989
  I suppose though, just by reading the thread, that the speaker amps are just a class above the headphone amps for the HE 6. Or is this statement too much of a generalization?

Yep.

I have heard a number of < £800 speaker amps from the like of Yamaha, Rotel, NAD, Marantz etc and none were better than my Master-6 driving the HE-6's.

I do feel that a speaker amp would ultimately be the best choice for the HE-6 but in my experience you have to go higher up the food chain to the £1000 level at least, which is basically Master-9 money anyway.

And then you will be left with an amp that will have less flexibility than the Master-9 or any other high powered headphone amp.

As I have a Cyrus CD player (used as a transport) I am tempted to try the Cyrus X power amp, but then I listen to the HE-6's, and can't be bothered!

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #12,165 of 28,989
I was having an email discussion with an audio buddy and decided to share my thoughts here regarding the comparison of HE-560 to the HD800:

I have been listening well into the early morning hours last four nights with the Teac HA-501, comparing the HD800 and HE-560 cans. I am extremely impressed with the amp, which seems to be opening up more and more. It find it bizarre that it seems to require a very long break in time.

So far, I have to give the edge to the HD800 and that lead is by a baby's hair. If the HD800 had more deep bass it would be a clear winner. OTOH, the HD800 has a slight rise in that sibilance region that excludes favor with much recorded material. When I go back to the 560, I am floored at how damned neutral it is, and how perfect the bass! It is truly a fantastic headphone. And the HD800 is breathtaking at conveying with precision the recording details - soundstaging, imaging, low level details, lower midrange naturalness, and everything about the "bones" of the recording. It is extremely revealing.

People want to compare these two headphones which is a little unfair to me for the simple reason they are state of the art examples of two operating types: Dynamic (HD800) and Planar Magnetic (HE-560). The HD800 excels at some dynamic "snap" and imaging/soundstaging while the HE-560 excels at neutrality and very wide bandwidth with extremely well controlled and low distortion deep bass.

In short, with the right amp (and I think I found a good match for both in the Teac), they are to me equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back