The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #9,991 of 28,989
That was post 9999.  I'm sniping post 10,000.  

Cheers fellow 800 bros!

beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #9,993 of 28,989
Try the HD650, Fidelio X1, Hifiman HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2/3.

Those are my personal favorites for a more forgiving sound.

If you want to give the HD800 one last chance try a pure copper cable (doesn't need to be fancy), and some mild EQ'ing of the 6kHz band, does wonders for taming the HD800 in my opinion. See my sig for an EQ setup to try if you're interested.

Thanks for the tip but I've put these up for sale. So, back in the box they have gone :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #9,994 of 28,989
Great!  Good enough answer?  :D

It's as if the Mjolnir has very little or almost no sound of its own.  It's powerful, it's free from anything that bugs me and seems to have a nice grip on the drivers making the bass just that little bit better.  It's as close to nothing as I've ever heard in my headphoning years, except for maybe one or two other solid state amps that was a Beta22 or GS MkI or something of that level.  

Edit:  The headphones sound like they're known to sound if you're bugged by brighter headphones.

Sidenote: my 800s have Creatology foam in them, like an early version of the Anax mod.  The ring and the trapezoid.  Nothing over the metal mesh.  I tried the shelf liner and took it back out.  I'm 38 and can't hear over 14k and like it a bit on the loud side, like party mode sometimes.

I really enjoy the Mjolnir with the 600s also.  That's like the daily driver set up, and the 800s are for a night out on the town.  650s for Sunday morning after the night out.

Hmm...might consider the MJ for my 600..but I need a balanced cable first LOL

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #9,995 of 28,989
Thanks for the tip but I've put these up for sale. So, back in the box they have gone
smily_headphones1.gif

That's such a brief time with the HD800 .  Not the HP for your preference?

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #9,996 of 28,989
I couldn't live with the HD 800s as my only pair of headphones either. I love having them around, and do admire them greatly, but as a listener of rock and metal I very often reach for the HE-500 instead.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #9,997 of 28,989
Thanks for the tip but I've put these up for sale. So, back in the box they have gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey they are not for everyone. If there is one hp that I'd really like to own also (money permitting), it would be the LCD3. Good luck! 

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #9,999 of 28,989
I think as many of us hd800 owners should take part in this http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/04/internet-test-24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio.html?m=1
As possible. We all want the the same thing, the best sound quality possible. This is something we can all do to help build a better understanding of whether high res is worth it .

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #10,000 of 28,989
Unfortunately not. They are nice to look at, pretty comfy but difficult to amp match, sorta like a HE6. With limited budget, I can't afford to roll amps and lose money in the process..

I love my HD 800 but i had to go through 3 amps before I understood what they are really capable of. The other three amps were not bad (Meier Classic, Schiit Lyr & Woo WA 6, The WA6 was the best of the 3) but I always felt the HD 800's were not performing upto their potential. Its when I got the Btl HD Crack with good tubes that I finally had a WOW
eek.gif
moment & I realised that these are keepers. The WA22 has taken them to a new level.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #10,001 of 28,989
i love my HD800 once i put it on my head. The precision, soundstage and separation of sound are far better compare to most of the headphones i tested before. 2ndly, the weight and its comfort... speechless, please allow me to say 'FXXXING GOOD'.

the only problem i had when i listen to them initially was the sound feel a bit lifeless, thin and bright through my current dac and tube amp. i rectified this condition by improving the RCA cable to a cheap and affordable chord company crimson plus cable. The result is noticeable, the sound become thicker and warmer, most importantly tune down the peak in treble. Thus, i have continuously enjoying this HD800 up to date which is more than 1.5years.

rolleyes.gif
 last but not least, forget the gears and enjoy your music. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #10,002 of 28,989
I have heard this talk that metal is usually mastered poorly and the HD800's were consistently regarded as a no no with such music but I do not feel that is the case.

A lot of the time it's the system chain and not the recording that is the issue.
I have thousands of rock and metal CD's and can honestly say that only one CD that I have ever played through the HD800's has been un-listenable.

Most just sound superb. The inherent qualities of the HD800's (speed, detail, clarity, dynamics and bass control) are all important attributes with metal music as they are with other genre's.

You have to also consider in what way is the recording 'bad'.  I have heard many recordings that have been overly warm, mushy, lacking hf's, bloated bass, poor dynamics and lacking clarity. I would want to use the HD800's with these recordings and they will sound far better than the 'forgiving' LCD2.2 I have when doing so.

As for brightness, well I just don't hear it even though I use silver cables, neutral SS amp and Sabre32 DAC.
There are many headphones that are brighter than the HD800's.
I know from personal experience the K701 and most Grados are brighter and the Grados are supposed to be the general recommendation for rock/metal, so how does that work when many people consider the HD800's too bright yet brighter phones are recommended!

I am also amazed people find then thin or boring/detached sounding even with tube amps. I don't hear that even when running through my PC.

I have absolutely no issues using the HD800's with metal, in fact I think they are superb with metal. And as Frank I said if I want to hear everything on a recording it's the HD800's I turn to.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #10,003 of 28,989
  I have heard this talk that metal is usually mastered poorly and the HD800's were consistently regarded as a no no with such music but I do not feel that is the case.

A lot of the time it's the system chain and not the recording that is the issue.
I have thousands of rock and metal CD's and can honestly say that only one CD that I have ever played through the HD800's has been un-listenable.

Most just sound superb. The inherent qualities of the HD800's (speed, detail, clarity, dynamics and bass control) are all important attributes with metal music as they are with other genre's.

You have to also consider in what way is the recording 'bad'.  I have heard many recordings that have been overly warm, mushy, lacking hf's, bloated bass, poor dynamics and lacking clarity. I would want to use the HD800's with these recordings and they will sound far better than the 'forgiving' LCD2.2 I have when doing so.

As for brightness, well I just don't hear it even though I use silver cables, neutral SS amp and Sabre32 DAC.
I know from personal experience the K701 and most Grados are brighter and the Grados are supposed to be the general recommendation for rock/metal, so how does that work when many people consider the HD800's too bright yet brighter phones are recommended!

I am also amazed people find then thin or boring/detached sounding even with tube amps. I don't hear that even when running through my PC.

I have absolutely no issues using the HD800's with metal, in fact I think they are superb with metal. And as Frank I said if I want to hear everything on a recording it's the HD800's I turn to.

+1 to that....My Cary makes the HD800's sing for metal....Plenty of bass and the open soundstage is like being at the concert.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #10,004 of 28,989

Hi Nigel, would you mind sharing your set up used to drive the HD800? I love the speed and soundstage but the bass seems pretty tame. I have a couple of Grados and yes they do sound bright yet the strong mid bass more than makes up for it.

If i can be shown the right direction, then I hope to meet mu audio nirvana without over spending. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back