The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #8,896 of 28,989
  Ok I'm generalising :)

But my point is, is that the HD800's aren't bass light or overly bright. They are very transparent. And 300 ohm. Remembering these two factors and you will find happiness :D (As long as you can find a good amp... But that's another story)

That I can fully agree with. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8,897 of 28,989
  What seems obvious to my ears is that a HD800 powered by EC Balancing Act+ Totaldac hasn't anymore harshness even compared to the Abyss that can't definitely be considered as harsh. That been said the HD800 sounds obviously a bit brighter and a bit less bassy too.

But I beat dead horses there  
deadhorse.gif

That emoticon is too disturbing even for me.

A guy wearing headphones.... attached to a dead horses body..... under what appears to be a suffocating plastic bag.... being spanked..... and smiling......

Is this PG-13 allowed???
confused_face_2.gif

I would have loved to hear that headphone combo though. I think my rig is pretty good but if anything is going to best it it's going to be something of that magnitude. Your ears are priviliged
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #8,898 of 28,989
Sennheiser veil was a dead horse beaten topic here many years ago, hence the graphic.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #8,899 of 28,989

But my point is, is that the HD800's aren't bass light or overly bright. They are very transparent. And 300 ohm. Remembering these two factors and you will find happiness :D (As long as you can find a good amp... But that's another story)

<rant>

Absolutely agree with you there. It seems like certain cans have certain power words attached to them and then they're continuously described as such, mostly by people who have little to no experience with them. "The HD 800 is bright and cold." No, it is not. "The HD 650 is veiled." Nope, not to my ears. "The HD 700's treble is harsh and flawed." Ehh, maybe under certain conditions, but again, not to me.

Nothing gets me going more around here when you have people speaking out of inexperience and spitting out rhetoric based on the popular opinion. Go make your own or don't add to the misinformation.

</rant>

Sorry, kinda a crabby morning. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #8,901 of 28,989

<rant>

Absolutely agree with you there. It seems like certain cans have certain power words attached to them and then they're continuously described as such, mostly by people who have little to no experience with them. "The HD 800 is bright and cold." No, it is not. "The HD 650 is veiled." Nope, not to my ears. "The HD 700's treble is harsh and flawed." Ehh, maybe under certain conditions, but again, not to me.

Nothing gets me going more around here when you have people speaking out of inexperience and spitting out rhetoric based on the popular opinion. Go make your own or don't add to the misinformation.

</rant>

smily_headphones1.gif

I tend to agree with most of what you said...but the HD650s I owned were really, really veiled.   Perhaps the varying opinions are the result of different drivers (the ones I had did not have the silver version).

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8,902 of 28,989
I've been tempted to get another pair with the newer drivers just to find out if the veil is there. 

I know for sure that the pair I used to own had the famous veil. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #8,903 of 28,989

Hey guys, is it just me or does most of Genesis recordings treble sounds peaky? With HD800 of course.

"selling England by the pound" sounds fine to me. On WA2 though

I think that's an excellent album, I have it on SACD. Another one I've got by early Genesis is " Foxtrot ", also on SACD, and also ( IMO ) an excellent album.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #8,904 of 28,989

<rant>

</rant>

smily_headphones1.gif

I know what you mean. Also, its so easy to get influenced off others words when reading reviews and such. Especially if the reviewer is well respected.. If he or she says a headphone is 'such and such' you will inevitably be listening out for 'such and such' when you finally hear them. I never realised that the HD650 was veiled until I joined head-fi 
rolleyes.gif
 and I'd had 5 good years with them before then... Fancy never knowing that they were veiled all along ha! I just thought they were easy on the ears with a nice warm tone.

I have to say however and ime, most headphones that I've heard do have some degree of colouring that will always be there no matter what amp or source is used. They will always imprint their character on the sound. My point about the HD800 is that it is quite an exception. Sure there will be colour there under the microscope so to speak - as this is unavoidable, but they are the most transparent (none existing) speaker/transducer component that I've ever heard.   

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #8,905 of 28,989

I tend to agree with most of what you said...but the HD650s I owned were really, really veiled.   Perhaps the varying opinions are the result of different drivers (the ones I had did not have the silver version).

The version I own is the silver version and they are very picky about their amping. In fact... they are more picky about the amping than the HD800 if you ask me. But when you get it right there is no veil and there are still some songs and genres that they do better than my HD800's.

Also. Whenever someone references Genesis i have to post this video
biggrin.gif

Sorry.
redface.gif
It's some kind of unspoken internet law.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,906 of 28,989

Yup. Just to be clear, I'm wasn't ranting against people opinions. Everyone's ears are different. I'm just say I like the impressions to be backed by experience.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #8,907 of 28,989
Mar 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #8,908 of 28,989
  Its the transparency of the HD800 rather than them being amp picky. Feed them a good amp and they will sound good - and price doesn't have to come into the equation. It's just a case of remembering that they are 300 ohms and they will appreciate high impedance output over low. A low impedance/high current amp will give them an overly fed treble and not much beef below.   

Not always...
wink_face.gif

That I can fully agree with. 
biggrin.gif

Good points.  My F1J seems to bring out the bass in these headphones pretty well.  

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8,909 of 28,989
Hi.. Whilst awaiting the arrival of my new cable, I'd like to get some inputs on how difficult it is to remove the original HD800 cables. Are the plugs very tight? Is it a simple straight pull? I'm a bit nervous .. :)

Any tricks or tips?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #8,910 of 28,989
I am curious about the EQ process with the HD800. Questions:

1. What is the process and software required for a Mac?
2. Do you need to get the frequency response from Sennheiser or is there some way to view it live as you make adjustments?

Current chain: Macbook Pro (Audirvana) > USB > Chord Hugo > HD800 with stock cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back