The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #8,866 of 29,004
  haha It's not happening!!!

So... 5 weeks?

biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #8,867 of 29,004
Mar 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #8,868 of 29,004
  Alright, I'm putting you all on the schedule for a little murdering. Does lunch time work?

Sounds perfect.

I have a pawn shop about two blocks over. Just in case.... you know
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though...
biggrin.gif

I've kept my HD650 although I've thought about selling them a couple of times. It happens...

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #8,869 of 29,004
Alright, I will say this. If I were to sell any of the Senn cans, the HD 700 may be in line as the first to go simply because there isn't much that it does that isn't bested by the HD 800. For the price difference, that better be the case. I also know the HD 600 is safe for as long as I live because it not only has a different signature than the HD 800, it's also just one of the greatest cans ever made and is practically the yard stick to which everything else is measured around here. A baseline, if you will, that everyone knows and can compare against.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,870 of 29,004
That's the main reason I still have my HD600 despite it being thoroughly outclassed by the 800.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #8,871 of 29,004
With the following specs, is it possible to calculate if my Apex Glacier should have enough power to be able to drive my HD 800s decently enough?
Using a current feedback amplifier, the Glacier puts out 2.6V RMS (7.4V P-P) and up to 100mA of output current, so can easily drive nearly any headphones.

Maximum output: >2.6V RMS into 150Ω; >1.7V RMS into 32Ω

Source: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Apex_High_Fi_Audio_Glacier_portable_headphone_amp_p/aaa0000010.htm

Other than this, I also have my CEntrance DACport, but by ear I think the Glacier does a better job.
Maximum output level: 8.5V peak–peak (3.0V RMS) into 300 ohms. 

Source: http://www.stereophile.com/content/centrance-dacport-usb-headphone-amplifier-specifications

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #8,872 of 29,004
I am driving the HD800 directly with an e20 DAC [mkIII , w. 0.082ps clock] and it has max. 250mA peak, 1 Ohm output imp. 1Vrms into 60 Ohm
specs here:
http://www.exasound.com/Overview/CompareSpecifications.aspx

-15db acc. to DAC display is the loudest I can stand for a longer time.

The HD800 is not so much about the max. power of the amp it requires but about the quality of the source signal.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #8,873 of 29,004
Mine arrived today and they sound great plugged straight into my Oppo 105--certainly better than my Byerdynamic DT 770s and nearly as transparent yet warmer than my previous Stax 404 system. They might sound better yet with a dedicated amp, but they will do for a while as is. By the way, the instruction manual states that I can view an individual diffuse-field frequency response by entering my S/N on the site, but I see no place to do that. Can someone direct me? Thanks.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #8,874 of 29,004
  Mine arrived today and they sound great plugged straight into my Oppo 105--certainly better than my Byerdynamic DT 770s and nearly as transparent yet warmer than my previous Stax 404 system. They might sound better yet with a dedicated amp, but they will do for a while as is. By the way, the instruction manual states that I can view an individual diffuse-field frequency response by entering my S/N on the site, but I see no place to do that. Can someone direct me? Thanks.

Gevorg can...

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support-services-register-your-product

Enter HD800, fill out the form, and make sure to check the box on the bottom that says "Frequency response certificate". The FR chart should arrive in your email in a couple of days or so.

smily_headphones1.gif

Took me about a day to get it from them. Enjoy!

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #8,875 of 29,004
These last week of work, I've been leaving early every night just to get in listening with this thing. It just makes me so happy.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #8,876 of 29,004
A couple of quick impressions using the amps that are at my disposal right now. The Magni, no. Just no. Far to bright. Asgard 2, kinda the same story. The louder you listen, the more distortion you hear. The Lyr with Orange Globe, no bad. Maybe a tad too warm and you seem to lose some resolution. The Lyr with stock tubes is my favorite so far. A little less punchy than the OGs, but the resolution stays which is what really turns me on.

I know the HD 800 has been known to be extremely amp picky, but I really didn't understand the magnitude until I heard it myself. It's so incredibly apparent with these cans over any others I have heard. I think I've just accelerated my plan to get these things optimally amped through single ended termination.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #8,877 of 29,004

Gevorg can...

Took me about a day to get it from them. Enjoy!

Thanks. I don't like giving them permission to use my personal info as they please, though.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #8,878 of 29,004
  A couple of quick impressions using the amps that are at my disposal right now. The Magni, no. Just no. Far to bright. Asgard 2, kinda the same story. The louder you listen, the more distortion you hear. The Lyr with Orange Globe, no bad. Maybe a tad too warm and you seem to lose some resolution. The Lyr with stock tubes is my favorite so far. A little less punchy than the OGs, but the resolution stays which is what really turns me on.

I know the HD 800 has been known to be extremely amp picky, but I really didn't understand the magnitude until I heard it myself. It's so incredibly apparent with these cans over any others I have heard. I think I've just accelerated my plan to get these things optimally amped through single ended termination.

I've heard very good things about the vali from people I trust.

The HD800 is also infamous for having a sharp treble peak at 6k dB when placed on the head. Tyll demonstrated this on his dummy head and has do with the standing waves between the head and headphone. In fact lots of headphones have this problem but it seems extra severe on the HD800.

I like to inverse that 6k peak in a good EQ program and then lift up the lower end.

(what I actually really do is that I take away an equal amount of everything that is over the "0 dB line" so that I'm taking away bits, not adding them. Usually gives better sound quality).

The HD800 is the best and most comfortable transducer and with the best sound stage. But the freq response when placed on the head leaves a lot to be desired.

Which is why I'm a EQ believer and think the HD800 is the best headphone I've ever heard when EQ'd properly.

Get rid of that 6k peak and let me know what you think. :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #8,879 of 29,004
Someone here compared  the Eddie Current Super7 and the DNA Sonett 2 ? 

I'm officially in the market for an amp upgrade and I'm looking for a transparent & neutral tube amp ( something like a Solid State sound without the edginess and with this very specific tube presentation ) . Nothing overly warm or tubey :wink:

Last Saturday evening , we did a mini-meet with two friends of mine. The one offered the house & diner and the second brought his Jdslabs Abyss, Eddie Current Balancing Act, TotalDAC D1 Dual and a Fostex TH900.... :D.  I personaly was generous enough to bring my ears and my HD800 with my little AudioGD NFB12.1. 

So we did serious listenings. 

The first point is the Abyss is very impressive. the greatest bass (Fast , deep, precise , clean ) I've ever heard from "headphones" and better soundstage & imaging capabilities than our beloved HD800.  Don't get me wrong ,the Abyss don't blow the HD800 Out the water but it's definitely a step above the Senn.  impressive! . i found that Abyss & HD800 was on par for impact and dynamics but IMO HD800 stays the king for resolution , probably due to its slightly analytical signature while the Abyss is little bit ( very very slightly) on the dark side of neutrality. 

But that's not my main point here.

We firstly compared HD800 + NFB12.1 combo against abyss + BA + Totaldac combo. and the difference was huge! I saw desperately my HD800 seriously dominated in every area. Then, i plugged the Senn to the Balancing Act+ Totaldac combo and was immediately blown away. I didn't really believe in Hi-end gear so when I say i was blown away, you can take it seriously.  This moment really changed my mind. Suddenly , all main flaws af my HD800 disappeared.  I usually use a combo with which I'm very happy: REGA DAC + MG Head and I really like to listen to music with my rig ( unfortunately  I didn't take it saturday evening so I couldn't compare directly) but HD800 kept some harshness sometimes. Although the added warmth counterbalance the slight harshness, this harshness stays.  With the BA+Totaldac , i immediately noticed that all harshness has disappeared withou any artificial warmth added. HD800 Sounded crystal clear & sweet with a far higher level of transparency. I was stunned from the first seconds of listening. my HD800 sounded so "right". I've never heard this before. 
After this discover, I've thrown the NFB12.1 in my bag and we've done more listening. HD800 was then far more close to the Abyss. My above comparison is based from listens done on Balancing Act/Totaldac  combo both for HD800 & Abyss. 

Then, you know why I'm now in the market for a new amp. :D . I really can't have enough money for a Balancing Act.  So, less expensive options are welcome !

My favorite so far is the DNA Sonett 2  against Super7 because of the price and the form factor but I can wait a bit more to save money if the S7 is clearly better. Thoughts about it ? other options ? 

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #8,880 of 29,004
^Why tube? I'm sure high end SS wouldn't have that edginess, at least that's what the owners say insofar as to justify their purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back