The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #7,636 of 29,013

beerchug.gif
 .. HD800 & HD650 complement imo perfectly. 

+1 
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7,637 of 29,013
To be complementary the phones should be of a similar standard but different enough to have both.
The HD800's and any Audeze phone would be good complementary cans. The HD650's are so inferior to the HD800's that I can't see then as complementary.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7,639 of 29,013
  To be complementary the phones should be of a similar standard but different enough to have both.
The HD800's and any Audeze phone would be good complementary cans. The HD650's are so inferior to the HD800's that I can't see then as complementary.

Agreed, I only kept my HD650 for a very short time alongside the HD800. I think any Audeze (or Hifiman HE500/6) would to better in that role.

I was about to get the HD600 to complement the HD800, I guess it's not such a good idea?

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,641 of 29,013

The HD600 is a great headphone but not sure it would see much use next to a properly driven HD800. I really think the HE500 is a nice complement for a few more $$.

The problem is I'm currently running an OTL amp, not sure it would pair well with HE-500.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #7,643 of 29,013
Anyone know the authorized dealer with the current lowest price?

I purchased a pair the first week they were released and didn't care for them, but I have the itch to try them out again for some reason.  I see they actually raised the MSRP over the years which is kind of ridiculous and puzzling.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #7,644 of 29,013

I've owned the trifecta of HD800/LCD-2 rev.2/HD650 on two separate occasions. The LCD-2 was the least compelling headphone, both times.

Yes, the HD650 is inferior in many ways but to me it beats the Audez'e in terms of engagement. And yes, it can't hold a candle to the HD800 but somehow it's utilised equally.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the requirement that both headphones be of similar "standard" to be complimentary. The real test of a headphone is the extent to which I'm drawn into the music, not necessarily how technically proficient the transducers are. The HD650 excels in this department. It also is different enough in terms of signature that, IMO, it makes for a good complimentary headphone to the HD800.

Your standards must make listening to music such a chore - if the HD650 is so inferior that its redeeming qualities can be dismissed. I'd hate to have that ailment.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #7,645 of 29,013

Agreed, I only kept my HD650 for a very short time alongside the HD800. I think any Audeze (or Hifiman HE500/6) would to better in that role.

I use the HD650 for casual listening and the planars are too heavy for casual times. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #7,646 of 29,013

I was about to get the HD600 to complement the HD800, I guess it's not such a good idea?

I have both and it suits my listening preferences. Having a smaller (soundstage) and a more easy listening hp along side the huge technical mastery of the mighty one can be a welcoming contrast. If it doesn't sound great on one then it will on the other. Plus, and this may sound daft but using a less technical hp for a while makes you really appreciate the HD800 even more. If all you ever listen to is the best, then you stop appreciating it as much and start to look for flaws haha its the nature of this hobby! 

I tend to listen to my hD600 in bed as it is light and more comfortable when lying down. When I'm easy listening... Taking it easy. You get the picture :)

The HD650 are a little darker and would be more of a contrast and probably the better compliment to the HD800 but I could easily recommend both. I couldn't imagine owing the HE500 and HD800 because they are both too similar on a technical level and balance, only one is much better imo. You know the HD6X0 are past flagships. You know they aren't as technically proficient as the younger HD800's, But you love them like the older Uncle(650)/Grandad(600) that they are!

If you are using an OTL amp - stay clear of planar :)  

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #7,647 of 29,013
  Anyone know the authorized dealer with the current lowest price?

I purchased a pair the first week they were released and didn't care for them, but I have the itch to try them out again for some reason.  I see they actually raised the MSRP over the years which is kind of ridiculous and puzzling.

Sennheiser are fairly strict about advertised prices so it's unlikely any retailer will be advertising anything other than full MSRP. What the majority of retailers will do, in my experience, however is offer a discount if you call them up and ask. Just call around a few until you find the best discount. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #7,648 of 29,013
I've owned the trifecta of HD800/LCD-2 rev.2/HD650 on two separate occasions. The LCD-2 was the least compelling headphone, both times.

Yes, the HD650 is inferior in many ways but to me it beats the Audez'e in terms of engagement. And yes, it can't hold a candle to the HD800 but somehow it's utilised equally.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the requirement that both headphones be of similar "standard" to be complimentary. The real test of a headphone is the extent to which I'm drawn into the music, not necessarily how technically proficient the transducers are. The HD650 excels in this department. It also is different enough in terms of signature that, IMO, it makes for a good complimentary headphone to the HD800.

Your standards must make listening to music such a chore - if the HD650 is so inferior that its redeeming qualities can be dismissed. I'd hate to have that ailment.

Well that's where are opinions differ. I owned the HD650's and found them to be vastly overrated. They were boring and never got me involved as any headphone I have owned or listened to since and to say if beats the Audeze's, in my case the 2.2's, in engagement is just so wrong in so many ways IMO.

I could not keep a 'complementary' can if it was so obviously inferior. If I wanted a complementary phone with a different signature then it would have to be playing on the same level as my other phones IMO.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #7,650 of 29,013
IMHO the TH 900 are good complimentary phones to the HD 800. EDM Fun vs Classical Sober
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do not feel any drop in quality when I move from the HD 800 to Th 900 , just a diff sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back