The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #7,546 of 28,989
Jan 17, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #7,547 of 28,989
Hi DG,
Previously you mentioned that the bass on WA2 is better than WA22. Is there any difference in the bass between the single ended and balance output on the WA22?
Thanks

i only used the balanced output on WA22. 

the WA2 has more bass than the WA22. the WA22 in return has more treble extension and a bigger soundstage with a more focused midrange, its more lush as well rather than the silky smoothness of the WA2. 

Do you recommend any tube upgrade for the WA2? 

yeah depends on what your setup is but i do enjoy Tung Sol 5998 or GEC 6AS7G power tubes the most. I also like the Amperex drivers and the RFT EZ80 rectifier.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #7,549 of 28,989

yeah depends on what your setup is but i do enjoy Tung Sol 5998 or GEC 6AS7G power tubes the most. I also like the Amperex drivers and the RFT EZ80 rectifier.

What about for Bottlehead Crack? I guess I would prefer better technicalities like in details, transparency, imaging, and separation, as opposed to a sound signature change. I'm getting the warm, lush sound signature from my Quickie preamp already.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #7,550 of 28,989

What about for Bottlehead Crack? I guess I would prefer better technicalities like in details, transparency, imaging, and separation, as opposed to a sound signature change. I'm getting the warm, lush sound signature from my Quickie preamp already.

GEC, the Tung Sol is slightly less airy and detailed, having a little more body and bass bloom.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #7,551 of 28,989
So anyone else ever have the urge of trying out lower end or past headphones just to see how far you've come and how your ears have adapted? I've always found it easier to notice differences going to poor sound quality as opposed to better. I guess you could call this headphone slumming.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #7,552 of 28,989

i only used the balanced output on WA22. 

the WA2 has more bass than the WA22. the WA22 in return has more treble extension and a bigger soundstage with a more focused midrange, its more lush as well rather than the silky smoothness of the WA2. 

Thanks DG.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #7,554 of 28,989
I started off the whole audiophile experience with the HD650 + Asgard.  I recall enjoying the HD650 and listening to the Koln Concert for the first time.  I wonder if I went back with a little more experience under my belt, would I enjoy the HD650 as much.  3+ years later I have a better understanding about headphones and other equipment.  But there was a magic with the HD650 that still sticks in my head today.  Do I dare spoil those memories?  Or would I sell everything to go back to a less expensive rig?

Quote:
  So anyone else ever have the urge of trying out lower end or past headphones just to see how far you've come and how your ears have adapted? I've always found it easier to notice differences going to poor sound quality as opposed to better. I guess you could call this headphone slumming.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,555 of 28,989
Yup.. probably going to get a lesser HP that is more forgiving of older recordings. With good recordings, the HD800 are spectacular but with a lot of 80's music, not so much.  I also have the Momentums and find it a hard listen.. only use them when I travel.
Interested in the upcoming HE400i or HE560.  Have no urge to go back to what I've had before.

Quote:
  So anyone else ever have the urge of trying out lower end or past headphones just to see how far you've come and how your ears have adapted?

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #7,556 of 28,989
  Hello everyone. I got some HD800 a couple weeks ago. And now i am on a continuous hunt for the best flac files for my headphones as everyone knows how picky these cans can be. Even many flac files just dont do these headphones justice. Can anyone provide a link to top tracks for these headphones to really show off its massive soundstage. Looking for the most 3 dimensional recordings. 

I like ALL types of music from A-Z. My favorite albums I have found so far are Wycliffe Gordon: Dreams of New Orleans(as i love trumpets & trombones) & Michael Jackson: Thriller was great. 

One of my better sounding hires album                http://www.hdtracks.com/there-s-a-time-134442?format=FLAC

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #7,557 of 28,989
tongue.gif

So I am.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #7,559 of 28,989

thats a really great point, I also started with the same HD650 and Asgard and was quite satisfied but we can't leave well enough alone.
Spending more we got some things that are technically better but really when it comes down to it, Does it provide any more enjoyment and satisfaction? Im still on the fence regarding that.

on this site they always say "welcome to head fi sorry for your wallet", but there used to be a great saying on audiogon or was it audioasylum? but anyway it went "you have to spend a whole lot of money, in order to learn that you didn't have to spend alot of money"

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7,560 of 28,989
tongue.gif

I've been hp slumming it since I got my HD800's (well, after 6 months of getting them). I like buying headphones. I also still really like the past flagships. I've re-bought both the HD600 and K701 since getting the HD800 and still enjoy them immensely. And yes it really does make you appreciate the 800's even more. I'm close to getting another Grado actually... 225 or something just for fun. I used to own those and the RS1. Kinda miss em..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back