The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7,516 of 28,989
  Newest member of the HD800 club  :wink: SN 269xx
Also have a Black Dragon cable to go with it.

Nice setup and great album
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #7,518 of 28,989
My pair is still for sale if any lurkers are interested. I'll continue to post in this thread once in a while, as I now feel I somewhat qualify to do so. Haha

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #7,519 of 28,989
WA2 + Hd800 :D

Wa22 is better but requires alot of work for little improvement over the wa2 with good tubes

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #7,520 of 28,989
WA2 + Hd800
biggrin.gif

Wa22 is better but requires alot of work for little improvement over the wa2 with good tubes

My future target amp
biggrin.gif
 the WA2...

Anyway, give this a shot folks, sounds holy schiit with HD800's soundstage

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #7,521 of 28,989
WA2 + Hd800 :D

Hi DG,
Previously you mentioned that the bass on WA2 is better than WA22. Is there any difference in the bass between the single ended and balance output on the WA22?
Thanks

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #7,522 of 28,989
Just chiming in for two reasons. 

One being the recent WA2 + HD800 combo - I can say that I thoroughly enjoy this combination and love changing out tubes as they make a big difference and the right ones sound sublime.  (Personally enjoy the stock a lot and the RCA 6AS7G also).  Surprisingly didnt like the 5998, but that is because I wanted more warmth with my 800's. 

The second and most important reason I am posting -

I take very delicate care of my HD800's, but I absolutely hate the brittle mesh silver grille on the outside of the headphone.  Any slight touch of the finger (especially this occurs when I let someone hear them, as they almost always seem to touch this area) and a very visible fingerprint seems to appear and is very hard to clean off.  That is one slight issue, but recently I was taking out the cable and it happened to very slightly scrape the grille as they were coming out and I ended up scratching the grill.  It made me so upset as I am pretty ocd, especially with my nicer audio equipment. 

Does anyone know a way to fix something like that?  The only way I would know how is to send to sennheiser, but ive heard they charge 700 bucks just to look at them.  I could sell my pair and spend a couple hundred bucks to get another brand new pair for cheaper.  What do you guys think? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #7,523 of 28,989

I take very delicate care of my HD800's, but I absolutely hate the brittle mesh silver grille on the outside of the headphone.  Any slight touch of the finger (especially this occurs when I let someone hear them, as they almost always seem to touch this area) and a very visible fingerprint seems to appear and is very hard to clean off.  That is one slight issue, but recently I was taking out the cable and it happened to very slightly scrape the grille as they were coming out and I ended up scratching the grill.  It made me so upset as I am pretty ocd, especially with my nicer audio equipment. 

Does anyone know a way to fix something like that?  The only way I would know how is to send to sennheiser, but ive heard they charge 700 bucks just to look at them.  I could sell my pair and spend a couple hundred bucks to get another brand new pair for cheaper.  What do you guys think? 

I totally understand where you are coming from, I'm very ocd and the same thing happened to me when I first got mine. I stuck my finger on the thin mesh and it left a mark. I then tried to clean it. This made it worse...hah I spent the next hour trying to make it look new again... The whole next day looking at it and getting annoyed! 

Best just to leave it.. It's unavoidable that it will get marked over time. But it does become less noticeable when all of it becomes dirty. (dirty as in finger prints for e.g) Its a strange material and a patented one. You can't clean it to look new again. Regarding the mark left by the cable, if you are still under warranty contact Sennheiser. If not then try and think of it as your own personalised HD800. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #7,525 of 28,989
Just chiming in for two reasons. 

One being the recent WA2 + HD800 combo - I can say that I thoroughly enjoy this combination and love changing out tubes as they make a big difference and the right ones sound sublime.  (Personally enjoy the stock a lot and the RCA 6AS7G also).  Surprisingly didnt like the 5998, but that is because I wanted more warmth with my 800's. 

I would look into Colorware if I were you. From what I have heard the finish is more robust than the original.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #7,526 of 28,989
  Haha!  Yea you pretty much sounded exactly like me when I first received it.  Do you think a warranty would help with something like that?

Only one way to find out bud..
A few people have scraped the paintwork trying to prize the cables out. They shouldn't be so tight if they are meant to come out. I'd say damage incurred from this could be under the warranty perhaps? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #7,527 of 28,989
Ok, that sounds good.  I will see what I can find out and if not - then I will maybe go through colorware or something 
confused_face.gif

Edit:  Oh no! I have looked around ColorWare's site and apparently they do not have an option to customize the inner mesh grill coloring.  Will see the warranty situation tomorrow.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #7,528 of 28,989
  Ok, that sounds good.  I will see what I can find out and if not - then I will maybe go through colorware or something 
confused_face.gif

Edit:  Oh no! I have looked around ColorWare's site and apparently they do not have an option to customize the inner mesh grill coloring.

Yeah they only color the actual body frame. They don't touch anything that could maybe affect the acoustics. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #7,530 of 28,989
Ok, that sounds good.  I will see what I can find out and if not - then I will maybe go through colorware or something :confused_face:  

Edit:  Oh no! I have looked around ColorWare's site and apparently they do not have an option to customize the inner mesh grill coloring.  Will see the warranty situation tomorrow.
my bad, i thought you meant the small grill in the centre. Soz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back