The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #14,881 of 29,017

Though... If I could stop the 'ringing' effect that my wife's voice seems to be afflicted with, I might consider it! 

Foam and duck tapes should be useful. Not easy to do and even more dangerous to remove though.

I'm not quite sure that would be legal 
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #14,882 of 29,017
No mods here.. I like my HD800's how I like my women. No extra bits of cloth or foam stuck to em with sticky tape etc.

Though... If I could stop the 'ringing' effect that my wife's voice seems to be afflicted with, I might consider it! 

+1, I like the way it sounds without any modification, :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #14,884 of 29,017
Same here....Toxic Cables Silver Widows with stock HD800's. Love them!

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #14,885 of 29,017

No mods here.. I like my HD800's how I like my women. No extra bits of cloth or foam stuck to em with sticky tape etc.

+1, I like the way it sounds without any modification,
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. I tried the mod for couple of weeks and finally decided to take it off.
Losing the 90% I love to improve the missing 10% was not what I was looking for.

Its great as is.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #14,888 of 29,017

5 years late to this party.
But better late than never.

S/N 33XXX

Feels great to join you guys here
redface.gif

What is that "concierge" thing? i never had it on my box...

German Scientists come over to open the hermetically sealed box and place the unit on your head while wearing lint free white gloves.....

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #14,889 of 29,017
No mods here either other than a Norne Draug2...

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #14,891 of 29,017

That's correct. As ringing as in the time domain. 

That said... HD800s are very capable headphones and I don't think the small amount of ringing is the main issue most have with them. Most just want the HD800s to be a little smoother in the high end. Something that can easily be accomplished with eq. 

Eq does not make them smoother, rather just dull. IMO at this level of hi-fi digital sound alterations are harmful to the net result.
Proper chain is what the HD800 needs +maybe some modding for the standing waves area.
To my ears the usual 6-8k area is not a real problem from a decent amp and dac. I'm however finding there is a bit of emphasis at around 2.8kHz.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #14,892 of 29,017
What is that "concierge" thing? i never had it on my box...

Bought this back in my country.
When we register for this concierge service(upon purchase), it allows us to service the headphone at our doorstep. Meaning the staff will collect it from us and deliver back to us when it is done. A loan unit will be available during the service period as well. For a period of 2 years.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #14,893 of 29,017
I switched to balanced mode with Senn's own balanced cable and can't go back. (It's been about 2 months now, so I'm confident in my impressions.)
The sound is fuller with more ease and really helps with the 800's well known problematic areas precisely.
(I have no mods on mine.)

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #14,895 of 29,017
I have a GREAT set of balanced cables for my Senn HD 800s, custom made in red and black (to match my HD 800 and HDVD 800 as in my avatar) by head-fi member zabzaf.  He also kindly included a single-ended-to-balanced pigtail, so I can quickly switch between balanced and single ended for comparison.

When I first tried his cable in balanced mode, the soundstage became MUCH wider and the vocalist that was at center stage in single ended mode became just off center.  Overall tone was darker and bass was deeper, perhaps addressing the concern of those folks how find a bit a stridency in the HD 800 high end (I never did). I then tried his cable with pigtail converter in single-ended mode, comparing it to the stock Sennheiser single-ended cable that came with the headphones.  It sounded a bit better... a little faster and brighter, and the vocalist returned to center stage!

A picture is worth 1,000 words...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back