The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #14,866 of 29,017
No mod here.  Not tested Yet.

Thus far , I'm still extremely happy with the DAC Beresford Caiman mkII. This dac sounds IMO almost as analogic as the Metrum Octabe but brings (still in my opinion) more excitement, more transparency and a better 3D soundstage to the table. I'm currently thinking about selling the Metrum.. and that says something because I love the Metrum sound.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #14,867 of 29,017

Yes, so I've heard. AND I really don't want to start that debate here. The Anax mod has given me better results and I'm very satisfied with the results.

That is the only thing which is really important
beerchug.gif
The debate thing will get ugly anway
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #14,868 of 29,017
  I don't know what the change is exactly and you're right, you can't A/B the change it but at least now I can really enjoy the cans and sit back and listen to it fatigue free for hours. Maybe the change has done something psychological, but whatever works.

Haha whatever works is a great moto. Nice one man. Enjoy!

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #14,869 of 29,017
  That is the only thing which is really important
beerchug.gif
The debate thing will get ugly anway
biggrin.gif

Definitely can't be bothered getting into a big debate about it. I can only suggest people give EQ a go if they've never tried it. You might like the results. 

At the end of the day all every single part of the music you're listening too has been eq'd and there's certainly nothing wrong with using it to adjust the tonal balance of your cans if you find them a bit bright. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #14,872 of 29,017

The main purpose of the anax mod is to reduce ringing at specific frequencies.
I doubt you can get that through eq.

That's correct. As ringing as in the time domain. 

That said... HD800s are very capable headphones and I don't think the small amount of ringing is the main issue most have with them. Most just want the HD800s to be a little smoother in the high end. Something that can easily be accomplished with eq. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #14,873 of 29,017
  5 years late to this party.
But better late than never.

[size=12.8000001907349px][/size]

S/N 33XXX

Feels great to join you guys here 
redface.gif

Welcome to the club mate! What amp/dac are you using with it at the moment, if I may ask?

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #14,877 of 29,017
happy to report no ringing in my unmodded HD800s. well, cardas blue cable is a mod, but...

I think it's great that somebody that is getting a ringing of any kind has found a mod that solved the problem and maybe even delivered an overall improvement (in the highs or where ever).

I myself am too chicken to mod headphones that I love. I had the outter "cages" removed professionally on my pair of akg K1000's years ago (by Stefan audio while recabling them) and admit to never knowing if it made a difference. only mod I ever made except reverting to flats on grado rs1/rs1i's.   

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #14,878 of 29,017
  I recently decided to break out the craft tools and make the Anax mod per innerfidelity. Overall I'm very happy with the results and don't plan to go back. This is my rig:

pc>usb>uberfrost>moon audio Black Dragon IC's>Valhalla 2>modded hd800 (stock cable).  I've ordered the Norne Audio Draug 2 and hopefully will have it soon.

How many of you are using the 800 modded, just curious.

Let me know how you get on with that cable - im interested, have my on it since Rumay talked about those changes he heard

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #14,879 of 29,017
No mods here.. I like my HD800's how I like my women. No extra bits of cloth or foam stuck to em with sticky tape etc.

Though... If I could stop the 'ringing' effect that my wife's voice seems to be afflicted with, I might consider it! 

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #14,880 of 29,017

Though... If I could stop the 'ringing' effect that my wife's voice seems to be afflicted with, I might consider it! 

Foam and duck tapes should be useful. Not easy to do and even more dangerous to remove though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back