The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #11,296 of 28,992
  Is there such thing?  
biggrin.gif

Much have been argued for and against the practice of burning in headphones.  For dynamics, I have personally conducted experiments by buying two headphones that are of the same make. There are apparent and appreciable differences between the old and the new (out of the box).  At the end of the day, it boils down to what you are willing to do versus what may be perceived as a probable benefit that may be derived from the burn-in treatment.  

Over time, through regular usage, your HD800 will get to that "settled sound" anyway. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11,297 of 28,992
Please read my reasoning and review
On burn in
On the audio GD M7 thread.
Al

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #11,298 of 28,992
Nice! Heard a lot of great things about the PWD.
Quote:
Mickey the HDVD800 is a killer amp and DAC combo, I picked up a perfectwave DAC used and pristine for 500.00 couldn't pass it up, but I was very happy and I am sure you will love the combo balanced out.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #11,299 of 28,992
If you get one, try to get the last remastered ones (40th Anniversary)
I recommend you all but they are very different and one can like "In the Court of the Crimson King" and one "Red" for example.
I suggest, get all :)
If you like a bit of Jazz get "Lizard" and "Islands"
If more heavy rock then "Larks Tongues of Aspic" and "Red"

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #11,300 of 28,992
I didn`t burn in, I just started listening, and kept a record of times and impressions.  My HD800s started squirting endorphin directly into my brain right around the 125 hour mark.  After 150 hours I stopped noticing any change (probably due to delirium).  These are my impressions, from memory and I have no interest in hearing contrarian arguments claiming to prove that my impressions are wrong.   

You are going to love these headphones.  Enjoy ! 

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #11,301 of 28,992
What do you guys think of the Q701s? I remember hearing the comparisons between these and HD800 back in the day. Should I even entertain these or not?

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #11,302 of 28,992
  What do you guys think of the Q701s? I remember hearing the comparisons between these and HD800 back in the day. Should I even entertain these or not?

I think they are great headphones for the money these days. But the only similarity to the HD800's is the soundstage size. They are drier and more distant sounding and the FR can be annoyingly flat for some tastes. With a little EQ at the 2khz mark and a very powerful amp they can sound remarkable with good recordings. But in general they are very picky with recordings. Defo a love or hate hp - but I've always loved em!  

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #11,303 of 28,992

Not to sound overly blunt but from my recollection of the 701 there is no comparison.

The 701 for as long as I can remember has had the distinct reputation for being sterile, lifeless, dry, cold, and simply unimpressive.

These impressions were all conceived just after the headphones release also,  a time when "new toy syndrome" usually counteracts the negative aspects.

Admittedly I have noticed that the 701 (in all of its glorious variations) has made somewhat of a comeback here on Head-Fi .....cannot for the life of me understand why. (lol....perhaps my post is overly blunt) (oh almost forgot ... no offense to anyone)

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #11,304 of 28,992
  I think they are great headphones for the money these days. But the only similarity to the HD800's is the soundstage size. They are drier and more distant sounding and the FR can be annoyingly flat for some tastes. With a little EQ at the 2khz mark and a very powerful amp they can sound remarkable with good recordings. But in general they are very picky with recordings. Defo a love or hate hp - but I've always loved em!  

Yeah, no way I'm buying for retail. I was getting them closer to $150 new, so curiosity got the best of me. I've always heard that they were hard to amp. My DM Source powers the HD800 very well, rarely needing to go above 12'o clock (halfway max). I checked up on the sensitivity of HD800 (102 dB) vs Q701 (105 dB). Would you say that these two headphones share certain amping load based on experience?

I was looking at them for movies and TV shows mainly and maybe some hip hop music from time to time. Leaving other bass heavy stuff for speakers and D2000.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #11,305 of 28,992

Not to sound overly blunt but from my recollection of the 701 there is no comparison.

The 701 for as long as I can remember has had the distinct reputation for being sterile, lifeless, dry, cold, and simply unimpressive.

These impressions were all conceived just after the headphones release also,  a time when "new toy syndrome" usually counteracts the negative aspects.

Admittedly I have noticed that the 701 (in all of its glorious variations) has made somewhat of a comeback here on Head-Fi .....cannot for the life of me understand why. (lol....perhaps my post is overly blunt) (oh almost forgot ... no offense to anyone)

Yeah I was just thinking of picking them up in the meanwhile. Might just let them go and wait for the HD800 whenever I do get them. The HD800 have been getting pushed back constantly with speakers, TV, Oppo video players and another DAC. So thought, if these would be alright for a little bit. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #11,306 of 28,992

Yeah I was just thinking of picking them up in the meanwhile. Might just let them go and wait for the HD800 whenever I do get them. The HD800 have been getting pushed back constantly with speakers, TV, Oppo video players and another DAC. So thought, if these would be alright for a little bit. 

I just saw your post above Zoom25.  If you are getting a good deal on them may as well give them a shot.  They me a tad bass shy however. ("tad" referring to non existent)

Or.....save your money and put it aside towards the HD-800.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #11,307 of 28,992

I just saw your post above Zoom25.  If you are getting a good deal on them may as well give them a shot.  They me a tad bass shy however. ("tad" referring to non existent)

Or.....save your money and put it aside towards the HD-800.

Yeah might just do that. I am looking to free up my DM Source from living room first with something like Emotiva DC-1. Next, I need a video processor for videos and HDMI processor like Oppo BDP 103. Then I can worry about the HD800.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #11,308 of 28,992
Cannot say about Q701, but K701 (very similar?) driven by speaker amp 
tongue.gif
 is def not bass shy compared to HD800, sure lower octave is a bit lacking. I completely disregarded these phones until i heard these with a Marantz speaker amp.
They actually punch really hard and fast well driven.
Only thing limiting its use for me is the artificial mid-range.

Still they are just mid tier cans next to HD800, well no comparison really. HD800 resting on a headphone stand images better and has better sound-stage than K701 worn on head.
It escapes me how anyone thinks K701 has great sound-stage.. and compares these with HD800 in this regard.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #11,310 of 28,992

Yeah, no way I'm buying for retail. I was getting them closer to $150 new, so curiosity got the best of me. I've always heard that they were hard to amp. My DM Source powers the HD800 very well, rarely needing to go above 12'o clock (halfway max). I checked up on the sensitivity of HD800 (102 dB) vs Q701 (105 dB). Would you say that these two headphones share certain amping load based on experience?

I was looking at them for movies and TV shows mainly and maybe some hip hop music from time to time. Leaving other bass heavy stuff for speakers and D2000.

The AKG's will need a little more volume than the HD800. But they also like more voltage to bring out the lower end and this helps to add body. The AKG's are more like planars in respect to the low impedance but need for loads of power. So hybrid amps such as the Lyr that give out lots of watts are recommended, vintage amps are a cheaper option too and would be my first choice if you have the desk space :) 

Anyone who claims these are lifeless and sterile are simply under amping them. Its a classic tell tale sign :) They are one of the most neutral hp's out there, that is all.

They should suit your needs perfect for movies etc with the wide soundstage. You might want to add some bass with EQ for hip-hop though. 

Also and just in general, I don't think its fair to compare the QK/701 to the HD800. The AKG's had their little moment at the top many years ago and so in the interests of what is relevant now (in terms of technology and monies) we should just let them enjoy their retirement :D   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back