The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #10,081 of 28,989

I'm currently considering the T1/LCD-2.2 to complement the HD800. Can't be bothered to amp the HE-6. I've never heard the TH900, but the general consensus seem to suggest that it's a pretty bass heavy headphone, if I get it correctly. I don't really like tons of bass...

Yape TH900 is mad with the bass, (more than LCD2.2 IMO), sometimes too much for me, but it doesn't hurt to have few options :)
I might consider T5p or UE8, or maybe Oppo to drop price around $500 ish.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #10,082 of 28,989
The Little Dot Mk 3 OTL is pretty good with the HD800 as well. And do check out the Little Dot tube rollers thread - this amp is plenty versatile and enjoyable for tube rollers and it's relatively cheap as well.

I tried a brand new TH900 and it sounded "V" shaped to me - boomy bass and sharp highs. Perhaps it's not burnt in yet and it doesn't isolate that well either. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #10,083 of 28,989
  The Little Dot Mk 3 OTL is pretty good with the HD800 as well. And do check out the Little Dot tube rollers thread - this amp is plenty versatile and enjoyable for tube rollers and it's relatively cheap as well.

I tried a brand new TH900 and it sounded "V" shaped to me - boomy bass and sharp highs. Perhaps it's not burnt in yet and it doesn't isolate that well either. 

Your observation is similar to mine except I found the mids quite recessed 

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #10,084 of 28,989
  Your observation is similar to mine except I found the mids quite recessed 

Hmm..on hindsight, yes i agree with you although the vocals seem pretty forward sounding. Think the HD800 sounds better 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #10,085 of 28,989
My HD800 have developed an annyoing squeak when I move around.  Coming from the earpads.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #10,087 of 28,989
  My HD800 have developed an annyoing squeak when I move around.  Coming from the earpads.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Are you sure it's the headphones? 
biggrin.gif

Could it not be from the little hinges that attach the headband to the cups? I would add a little WD40 or similar if it is that. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #10,088 of 28,989
Apr 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #10,089 of 28,989
Would a bifrost uber be bottlenecking an amp like sonett 2 or wa2 and the likes?

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #10,091 of 28,989

down the road: geek pulse x and ifi micro iDSD as sources. strongly leaning toward auralic taurus mk.ii for amp. waiting to see how the schiit ragnarok turns out before making this decision. i know people are saying TUBES TUBES...but i'm set on SS these days.

I'm also thinking about the Taurus...but I'm waiting to see if the Oppo HA-1 amp section is good enough to power the HD800.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10,092 of 28,989

Don't forget the Hifiman HE-560, I expect great things from that one.

I've personally found the LCD-2/3 too heavy and uncomfortable, and the soundstage too cramped. I've heard that the LCD-X improves on the soundstage but it's still really heavy, I would like to hear it though before I completely make up my mind.

But my gut tells me that I shouldn't be surprised if 6 months from now the HE-560 is the default recommendation in the sub $1000 category.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #10,093 of 28,989
Although this may seem like in the wrong thread, I figure more people here have tried lesser HP's than other have tried the HD800's.

Head-fi has turned me into a crazed headphone/music lover and as much as I love it I have spent much more than I should have... I know I know, warnings were there (forum slogan :p). Anyways, I think I have to let go of my hd800's (new version 25***). Any suggestions for a good mid-fi headphone that could fill (obviously not completely) the void where this sound stage/detail monster once lived?

It would need to be comfortable and lightish as it would be my casual computer listening set. Probably matched up with my E-MU 0404 which is a very competent DAC/AMP (would consider purchasing another AMP to go with a cDAC that I also have but the point is to save money lol). I listen to a lot of classic rock/rock/prog rock/jazz. Although that is not technically a strength of the HD800's, with my BHA-1, it could handle anything!

Right now I am looking at a pair of HD600's, or HD650's. Anything else I should be looking at? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #10,094 of 28,989
  Although this may seem like in the wrong thread, I figure more people here have tried lesser HP's than other have tried the HD800's.

Head-fi has turned me into a crazed headphone/music lover and as much as I love it I have spent much more than I should have... I know I know, warnings were there (forum slogan :p). Anyways, I think I have to let go of my hd800's (new version 25***). Any suggestions for a good mid-fi headphone that could fill (obviously not completely) the void where this sound stage/detail monster once lived?

It would need to be comfortable and lightish as it would be my casual computer listening set. Probably matched up with my E-MU 0404 which is a very competent DAC/AMP (would consider purchasing another AMP to go with a cDAC that I also have but the point is to save money lol). I listen to a lot of classic rock/rock/prog rock/jazz. Although that is not technically a strength of the HD800's, with my BHA-1, it could handle anything!

Right now I am looking at a pair of HD600's, or HD650's. Anything else I should be looking at? 

I will always recommend the HD600's as second best if you like the Sennheiser sound. The 600's sound great with both rock and jazz. The only time some feel they are lacking is when you want fully extended sub bass. But this is mainly for electronic fans. Otherwise they are still a wonderful and versatile headphone. 

I prefer them over the HE500, LCD2, HD650. to name a few big names.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #10,095 of 28,989
  I will always recommend the HD600's as second best if you like the Sennheiser sound. The 600's sound great with both rock and jazz. The only time some feel they are lacking is when you want fully extended sub bass. But this is mainly for electronic fans. Otherwise they are still a wonderful and versatile headphone. 

I prefer them over the HE500, LCD2, HD650. to name a few big names.

Thanks for the quick reply. From what I have read the 600's are a bit faster and less bloated in the bass than the 650's so I'm assuming I would like them better... even If I also hear that they aren't as different than people make them out to be... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back