The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #9,871 of 28,989
What was saying to someone who asked me about balanced is: It's really something we only consider because it affects how we connect the headphones. When we buy an amp, most people don't think about anything much more than whether it is a tube amp, who made it and what people said about it. We don't think about the topology/circuit beyond that. We don't even realise that "balanced" can mean a number of different things, as can "tube amp" or "solid state". There are about a dozen common types of amp, but we don't realise that. If headphones had had a 4-pole plug to begin with, we probably wouldn't be asking the question most of the time.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #9,872 of 28,989
When I heard them at the Toronto HeadFi meet last year with my system at the time I found the bass was deeper and cleaner and that the highs where much smoother. The HD700 and HE500 went up for sale the next day to fund the HD800.  No looking back :)

Quote:
Ah.. MickeyVee, I remember you had the HD700, welcome to HD800 club
smily_headphones1.gif
Why you sold it ? (I never liked HD700 by the way).

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #9,873 of 28,989
Just a minor correction, the ZDSE is not transformer coupled. Pretty much the same thing as a ZD except with different output caps and a toggle switch for increased feedback / lower output Z / lower gain. The ZDT is the one which is transformer coupled. The Eddie Current house sound tends to be less "tubey" than most Woo amps.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #9,874 of 28,989
What's the best DAC+AMP combo you guys have ever heard with the HD800?

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #9,876 of 28,989
Apr 9, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #9,877 of 28,989

TotalDAC D1 dual + Eddie Current Balancing Act .
biggrin.gif

I meant as a one piece combo thing, rather than separates, but thanks for that too :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #9,879 of 28,989
The ones I've heard are the HDVD800 (need to try balanced), Naim DAC-V1 which I own and the McIntosh D100.  They are all  really good but will not get near a separate DAC/amp combo, even in the same price range.
The new McIntosh MHA-100 may be killer but at $5K, it would have to be.
Quote:
  I meant as a one piece combo thing, rather than separates, but thanks for that too :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #9,880 of 28,989
Hello,

Not sure if this will be out of topic, if yes, please let me know so i can take it down.  Would i be able to appreciate HD800 with the ifi products as per this thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/714057/ifi-product-set-to-drive-hd800

I mostly listen to vocals, instrumentals/guitars, occasionally rock - I appreciate good amount of bass but i cant say i am a bass head.

any opinion will be greatly appreciated. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #9,881 of 28,989
  Hello,

Not sure if this will be out of topic, if yes, please let me know so i can take it down.  Would i be able to appreciate HD800 with the ifi products as per this thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/714057/ifi-product-set-to-drive-hd800

I mostly listen to vocals, instrumentals/guitars, occasionally rock - I appreciate good amount of bass but i cant say i am a bass head.

any opinion will be greatly appreciated. 

Contrary to popular belief I think the HD800 sounds fine even on modest equipment, it's not a hard headphone to drive and it has high sensitivity.

I've tried my HD800 with computer soundcards and it's definitely not bad sounding. In my mind a HD800 driven by $300 equipment still sound better than the vast majority of $300 headphones driven by high-end equipment.

The problem with the HD800's is that they are super-revealing and have a slight treble peak, so if you match them with a bright dac, a bright amp and have poor recordings they're going to sound absolutely awful.

Match them with neutral/warmer/darker/non-aggressive equipment and have good source material and you'll be fine even on low budget stuff.

The HD800's are not that hard to drive and personally I think the HD800's is one of the few headphones where it's more important to pick a really good DAC than a good amp.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #9,882 of 28,989

Contrary to popular belief I think the HD800 sounds fine even on modest equipment, it's not a hard headphone to drive and it has high sensitivity.

+1

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #9,883 of 28,989
I tried plugging the HD800 straight into FiiO X3. While the volume may be loud enough for me even without high gain, to me it sounds unbelievably thin and lifeless. The lows were weak and highs were harsh. Interestingly, I didn't find the mids to be recessed, but that's about it. Soundstage do suffer as well..

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #9,885 of 28,989
For me they show you how good your amp is rather than synergy. But impedance matching will always effect performance as well and this has to be taken into consideration - as they will no doubt sound thin and lifeless with a low powered low impedance amp that is designed more for IEM's and 32ohm can's. They maybe very sensitive but they require voltage to gain any weight to the sound, simply because of their resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back