The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #8,297 of 28,989

Congrats and good luck....
Tell us what is the maximum you want to spend on the amp, and we will come up with many suggestions 2 to 3 times your budget 
dt880smile.png

That's the only part am scared of. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #8,299 of 28,989

Congrats and good luck....
Tell us what is the maximum you want to spend on the amp, and we will come up with many suggestions 2 to 3 times your budget 

Don't forget the DAC designed by a blind savant and the cables blessed by the third son of of castrated Tibetan monk.

Honestly though... the HD800 sounds pretty good even on modest equipment. It just scales very well when you pay more....

A nos DAC and matrix m-stage won't show you everything the HD800 can do but it should be an excellent starting point.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #8,300 of 28,989
Decided that I am going to upgrade to HD 800. Hopefully will purchase soon (been watching the classifieds hoping for an all black colorware set) but I have been researching amps/dacs for $600 or less and I am not sure I have fully decided what I want yet. Tubes sound appealing and some of them look pretty amazing (woo/la figaro), but I honestly think I would forget to turn the amp off often since I use the computer for a few hours a night for games/movies/music and am forgetful.

Some solid state options I have considered - Asus Essence One, Matrix M Stage, Schiit (seems some like magni/modi with HD800, or maybe Uberfrost + Asgard 2).

I read a lot about how picky HD 800 is for amps, but then also how a lot people think some of these reasonably priced options sound great. I guess it is just a little difficult to determine how much to spend.

I have only heard the headphone through the BH Crack, and that was over a year ago.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #8,301 of 28,989
  Decided that I am going to upgrade to HD 800. Hopefully will purchase soon (been watching the classifieds hoping for an all black colorware set) but I have been researching amps/dacs for $600 or less and I am not sure I have fully decided what I want yet. Tubes sound appealing and some of them look pretty amazing (woo/la figaro), but I honestly think I would forget to turn the amp off often since I use the computer for a few hours a night for games/movies/music and am forgetful.

Some solid state options I have considered - Asus Essence One, Matrix M Stage, Schiit (seems some like magni/modi with HD800, or maybe Uberfrost + Asgard 2).

I read a lot about how picky HD 800 is for amps, but then also how a lot people think some of these reasonably priced options sound great. I guess it is just a little difficult to determine how much to spend.

I have only heard the headphone through the BH Crack, and that was over a year ago.

I can recommend WA3 / WA6 for a starter (WA3 if you want lusher, more tubey sound, and WA6 if you want more detailed, SS-like sound). And if you want a tube-like sound but don't want the hassle of tubes, there's the Graham Slee Solo. I have never heard the Ultra Linear DE, but I've heard the SRG-II (with PSU1) with HD800 and it was pretty phenomenal. Graham Slee even recommended to never turn off the amp as well, another less hassle for you there. Till this date, I still sort of regretted getting the WA3 instead of the GSP Solo.

I can't recommend Magni/Modi with HD800 at all. Tried it, sounds very bad IMO. YMMV though.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #8,304 of 28,989
  I have Bttlhd Crack & WA6, I prefer the Crack more than the WA6 with the HD 800.

I noticed on your profile that you have a Lyr. Care to give a concise impression on how does it compare to WA6 with HD800?

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #8,305 of 28,989
Ok Let's start a new game : "vote for the most cheap & valuable rig  for HD800"  
biggrin.gif

@Lugbug1:  you're banned from the game, Vintage gear are too old. Period. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,306 of 28,989
Don't confuse "picky" with "expensive" :)

It's important to get the synergy right, but you can get the synergy right even on less expensive equipment.

The HD800 is a very transparent/detailed and slightly "lean" headphone.

So in my mind a general baseline recommendation would be that you want a dac that's "organic sounding", that is it's more "musical" than "analytical". Nos DAC's tend to be good for this. And you want an amp that's fast and detailed but not cold sounding.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8,307 of 28,989
So in my mind a general baseline recommendation would be that you want a dac that's "organic sounding", that is it's more "musical" than "analytical". Nos DAC's tend to be good for this. And you want an amp that's fast and detailed but not cold sounding.

+1 .. Same experience here and I experienced good dacs that sounded awfully with my HD800. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #8,308 of 28,989

I noticed on your profile that you have a Lyr. Care to give a concise impression on how does it compare to WA6 with HD800?

I haven't heard the Lyr since 3-4 weeks, the Crack, WA6 & Meier Classic have taken up all the listening time. I do not want to do a comparison based on the sound of Lyr from my memory. I  will post my impressions after a side by side comparison between the Lyr & WA6 on Thursday.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #8,309 of 28,989

I haven't heard the Lyr since 3-4 weeks, the Crack, WA6 & Meier Classic have taken up all the listening time. I do not want to do a comparison based on the sound of Lyr from my memory. I  will post my impressions after a side by side comparison between the Lyr & WA6 on Thursday.

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,310 of 28,989
How about the Little Dot MK VII+ Balanced Headphone Amp? ($385)

And solder your own connectors on the stock cable?

Otherwise the matrix-m stage I know is ridiculous good for it's price.

NOS DAC maybe something from Metrum? Could be better/cheaper options out there though. I know there are a lot of really cheap nos amps floating around on ebay that some people say sound 10x their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back