The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4,366 of 29,004
Quote:
Again, your interpretation is grasping at straws. And I don't know what your rig is, but I suggest you try the hd800s on a rig that is up to par for them. You might be surprised.
wink.gif

Yourself have done the anax mod, from what I've seen, so it's not just about rig.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #4,368 of 29,004
Yourself have done the anax mod, from what I've seen, so it's not just about rig.

I tried it, and preferred the stock. Mine are stock. :wink:

With the hd800s, it is most certainly about the rig!

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #4,369 of 29,004
Opinions change, we all have different preferences, and we all choose to spend different amounts of money on our hobby.  Why not just enjoy it?  There are people on these forums with fancy Stax setups and there are people who love their bargain basement Grados.  I don't remember anyone here ever looking down on someone else for having a different or cheaper rig.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4,370 of 29,004
Quote:
Opinions change, we all have different preferences, and we all choose to spend different amounts of money on our hobby.  Why not just enjoy it?  There are people on these forums with fancy Stax setups and there are people who love their bargain basement Grados.  I don't remember anyone here ever looking down on someone else for having a different or cheaper rig.

There's nothing bargain about Grado's sir. I like them, but a bargain they are not :) 

Head-fi is packed full of snobbery, 'I've got the best - but I worked my way here' attitudes. And to be fair there is nothing wrong with that. All hobbies are like this. Someone who has spent a lot of time and money on gear is going to be as proud as a peacock displaying its feathers. But at the same time it can be annoying to peeps starting out. But thats life. Just don't take it to seriously folks...  :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #4,371 of 29,004
Quote:
There's nothing bargain about Grado's sir. I like them, but a bargain they are not :) 

Head-fi is packed full of snobbery, 'I've got the best - but I worked my way here' attitudes. And to be fair there is nothing wrong with that. All hobbies are like this. Someone who has spent a lot of time and money on gear is going to be as proud as a peacock displaying its feathers. But at the same time it can be annoying to peeps starting out. But thats life. Just don't take it to seriously folks...  :)

+1

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4,372 of 29,004
What I meant was that there are many people who are happy with their SR60s or SR80s, the classic bang-for-the-buck cans, and good luck to them.  I actually like my SR125s more than my RS1is.  

Maybe I'm just not so sensitive to the snobbery, I dunno.  When I hear people talk about fancy pants rigs that I can't afford, I simply find it interesting and fun to read about.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #4,373 of 29,004
Maybe not so much snobbery but at a different level.. unobtanium for me but what the heck, I'm enjoying my HD800 with a Schiit stack and may go Woo WA7 someday. Although I love the new 2014 Corvette Stingray, I can't afford it but am sucking up everything I can read about it.  Same with the TOTL systems here.  It's just fun.  Enjoy the journey!
Quote:

Maybe I'm just not so sensitive to the snobbery, I dunno.  When I hear people talk about fancy pants rigs that I can't afford, I simply find it interesting and fun to read about.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #4,374 of 29,004
It's fine to be proud of what rig you have, it's not soo cool to look down upon someone just because they're not running x TOTL gear.

So Peter just tell the dude to enjoy his rig.

And dude, stop stalking Peter, not cool and creepy. 
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4,375 of 29,004
Sometimes when I get the urge to go down the Stax route or I read something that makes me doubt how good the HD800 is I listen to my 650s and just appreciate how good they are instead of picking out the things that make the HD800s better. This puts the hobby back into perspective for me and it makes me realise how far into diminished returns I already am with the 800s and suddenly the idea of buying 009s/amp seems insane!

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4,376 of 29,004
I think there is some snobbery here - as there is everywhere, but I don't see it very often and certainly not among the regular contributors.

I think the reason why headphones have exploded in popularity is their relative affordability. I mean, most of us could own a $7000 headphone setup if we really wanted to, but we choose not to based on cost vs. benefit, diminishing returns, other priorities, etc. It's a choice whether you'd rather have a high end headphone rig or a Honda CBR600 or an Omega Seamaster or a Whites dry suit, right?

So how can someone be a snob based on owning something that almost anyone could own if they wanted to?

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,377 of 29,004
Quote:
I think there is some snobbery here - as there is everywhere, but I don't see it very often and certainly not among the regular contributors.

I think the reason why headphones have exploded in popularity is their relative affordability. I mean, most of us could own a $7000 headphone setup if we really wanted to, but we choose not to based on cost vs. benefit, diminishing returns, other priorities, etc. It's a choice whether you'd rather have a high end headphone rig or a Honda CBR600 or an Omega Seamaster or a Whites dry suit, right?

So how can someone be a snob based on owning something that almost anyone could own if they wanted to?

This is "Summit-Fi" and I'm sorry, but it's not for the faint at heart. Someone asked whether the HD800s were as good as the SR-009s and I happen to own both, so I gave my comments. They then asked was rig/cables I was using, so I answered. That's what we do here on Head-Fi, we share experiences. However when some people who do NOT have any experiences and then make personal attacks against those with them (and I'm not referring to you here in any way), is not cool.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,378 of 29,004
Quote:
Oh God no. Sorry...I'm a big fan of the HD800s and the SR009s are in a whole new class over them with every genre of music. As clean and transparent as the HD800s are, the SR-009s make them seem muddy. 
size]

baka1969 (a HUGE HD800 fan) was in town a few months back and got to hear my HD800/GS-X and SR-009/KGSS and there was no comparison in his words. Initially before he heard them, he mentioned, just how much better can they be as the HD800s were awesome headphones....then he put them on and was shocked (just like I was last September when I got them). The HD800s may image a bit wider, but that's it...the SR-009s take every other category. His final comment was, just sell the HD800s, after hearing the SR-009s, he didn't understand why I needed both. 
size]
 His views only solidified as he heard them several more times over the week during his visit.

That said, I'm such a big fan of the HD800s, I'm still keeping them.

Let's put this thread back on track...

MH, I know you find the 009 to be better than HD800 so I won't ask for any further comparisons, but I am interested in finding out if you *generally* prefer to listen to one over the other depending on the type of music.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4,379 of 29,004
This is "Summit-Fi" and I'm sorry, but it's not for the faint at heart. Someone asked whether the HD800s were as good as the SR-009s and I happen to own both, so I gave my comments. They then asked was rig/cables I was using, so I answered. That's what we do here on Head-Fi, we share experiences. However, NOT have any experiences and making personal attacks against those with them (and I'm not referring to you here in any way), is not cool.

If you hadn't noticed, I happen to agree with you...

If you aren't referring to me, why did you attach my comment?

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,380 of 29,004
Quote:

Let's put this thread back on track...

MH, I know you find the 009 to be better than HD800 so I won't ask for any further comparisons, but I am interested in finding out if you *generally* prefer to listen to one over the other depending on the type of music.

Since you asked 
size]
I generally prefer the SR-009s (actually not generally, but totally) with all types of music (rock, metal, punk, classical, jazz, etc..) but I still find the HD800s very special headphones and as mentioned previously and I do find time to fit them in the rotation. They are among the top 3 headphones I've heard of all time. But that said, while they can be ok with the upstream rig, they really open up and shine when you get that right. They will continue to reward you too as you continually work on your rig. That's both a curse and a benefit of a pair of very transparent headphones.

I started out with a MAD Ear+HD amp with my HD800s, then moved to the Schiit Lyr (didn't like the combination in any way as I found it couldn't keep up with the nimbleness of the HD800s and after all, it was designed as an ortho amp to begin with), then the WA2 (great combination), then a WA22 (a slightly better combination), then Liquid Fire (kinda disappointing actually for the money I spent) and finally here at the GS-X MKII. No snobbery whatsoever, just telling you how I hear it. I'd be very happy if my journey ended with the WA2, but after hearing the HD800/GS-X MKII combination, I finally think that I'm getting every last bit out of them. I'm hearing bass rumble, mids that are crystal clear, treble that is smooth without issue and laser-like imaging. Same go for my DACs too. This my personal amp journey with the HD800s...a long and arduous road for sure. 

But please remember being transparent headphones, if the recording itself is harsh, you'll hear it. Garbage in = garbage out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back