The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,397 of 29,013
Quote:
gs-x mkii can drive iems? all the amps i've tried cannot, iems sound weird through them (variety of issues, no mid no bass, lots of noise, etc). does it actually make iems sound better than straight out of portable outputs?

Actually its the best amp I've found for IEMs. All of the IEMs I tried with it sounded the best I heard them (SE535, Westone 4, TF10). Zero base noise/hum and incredibly great finesse with them.
Quote:
Peter, you stole my dance partner-but I won't complain.
wink_face.gif
 I've never learned my lesson it seems: "don't squabble with the freshmen."

Meanwhile: the Mjolnir continues to burn in...been about 72 hours now-even Jason has told me to give it at least a few more days of burn in since I'm still not finding much synergy with the HD800s...

-Daniel

LoL, lucky me. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4,405 of 29,013
Quote:
I'm buying a new PC right now, so actually, nothing, I'm wanting to buy everything together, what should I get, in your opinion?

I'm honestly considering buying them.

Ok that's cool. Well you're skipping to what is undoubtedly one of the best headphones ever made, and along with the cost of the headphone you'll also have to take into account the gear that will be necessary to drive it. It's not a headphone you will want to plug right into the headphone jack of an iPod or something. You are going to be looking at around $2000 to $2500 for a decent rig, more if you want something high-end. You'll also end up swapping source gear a few times until you find just the right combo that sounds the best to you, and that will add to the cost. If this is within your budget then yes, definitely, it is worth the money and you will not be disappointed.

I've not heard the HD800 with the Essense STX. I'm sure it will be able to drive them, but not so sure that it would be a very good pairing. You'll generally want to lean toward something that will impart a bit of warmth into the HD800 as it can be a little dry or bright to some people.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,406 of 29,013
Id be kinda scared to make a jump into the hd 800s starting from nothing. Though you will have one of the best headphones available right now :D

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4,407 of 29,013
Quote:
I'm buying a new PC right now, so actually, nothing, I'm wanting to buy everything together, what should I get, in your opinion?

The soundcard I'll get is; ASUS Xonar Essence STX

The HD800 may not be a good choice for a first headphone with the gear you have.  

What kind of music do you listen to?  What sounds are important to you? -  like..  Bass, treble, vocals and so on..

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,408 of 29,013
In my experience, HD800 was an acquired taste... My sonical preferences changed throughout my headphone adventure, though my musical tastes remained the same. I really didn't like the HD800 when I first began my quest, while I was in love with my LCD2, but towards the end, I kept reaching for the HD800 (yes, I had the LCD2.2, LCD3, and HD800 all at the same time in the same room on the same table). And then I got to demo the DNA Stratus at my home and it was all magical from there. :) However, HD800 wasn't great with any of the lesser amps I used, and it really shows that you need to invest a whole lot more money to squeeze the sound out of these stubborn babies. Don't even get me started on the HD800 with O2.

Don't get a sound card, get a DAC/amp. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #4,409 of 29,013
Quote:
In my experience, HD800 was an acquired taste... My sonical preferences changed throughout my headphone adventure, though my musical tastes remained the same. I really didn't like the HD800 when I first began my quest, while I was in love with my LCD2, but towards the end, I kept reaching for the HD800 (yes, I had the LCD2.2, LCD3, and HD800 all at the same time in the same room on the same table). And then I got to demo the DNA Stratus at my home and it was all magical from there. :) However, HD800 wasn't great with any of the lesser amps I used, and it really shows that you need to invest a whole lot more money to squeeze the sound out of these stubborn babies. Don't even get me started on the HD800 with O2.

Don't get a sound card, get a DAC/amp. 

Hot dang I love how the LCD looks :)

Which DAC/amp would you recommend my friend?
Quote:

The HD800 may not be a good choice for a first headphone with the gear you have.  

What kind of music do you listen to?  What sounds are important to you? -  like..  Bass, treble, vocals and so on..

I listen to quite alot actually, but my favourite type is Jazz, where I love the bass guitar, so the bass. But I also love Disco. I have hundreds of LPs' from my father and mothers' youth, and enjoy the old styled music, like Rod Stewart, oh god I love me some Rod Stewart.

Quote:

Ok that's cool. Well you're skipping to what is undoubtedly one of the best headphones ever made, and along with the cost of the headphone you'll also have to take into account the gear that will be necessary to drive it. It's not a headphone you will want to plug right into the headphone jack of an iPod or something. You are going to be looking at around $2000 to $2500 for a decent rig, more if you want something high-end. You'll also end up swapping source gear a few times until you find just the right combo that sounds the best to you, and that will add to the cost. If this is within your budget then yes, definitely, it is worth the money and you will not be disappointed.

I've not heard the HD800 with the Essense STX. I'm sure it will be able to drive them, but not so sure that it would be a very good pairing. You'll generally want to lean toward something that will impart a bit of warmth into the HD800 as it can be a little dry or bright to some people.

Hey, alright!

Thanks for the nice help, and for not bashing on me for asking all of this.
Could you name me the gear I'll be needing? The names of the items, and all.

I heard the Xonar Essence One is needed for it from a friend, but I don't really know if it's really required, or just his preference.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #4,410 of 29,013

The soundcard I'll get is; ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Get the HD650 with that card. Great sound all around and the STX doesn't limit the cans' potential too much. I had an STX and the sound was a bit harsh IMO, so not really a good match for the HD800 (tho I never heard my 800 on it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back