The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,381 of 29,013
Quote:
If you hadn't noticed, I happen to agree with you...

If you aren't referring to me, why did you attach my comment?

Oh no, I mentioned that in my post that I was not referring to you "in anyway" whatsoever. 
size]
 But I think we both know who? 
size]

I was referring to your comments about snobbery and I simply stated that that Summit-Fi was not for the faint hearted. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #4,382 of 29,013
I personally believe that with audio equipment, once you reach and surpass a certain price point (so that you are not listening to significantly low fidelity, distorted sound), it comes down to people own preferences of different styles of sound signatures. Sound quality is still important but IMO personal preference in sonic style trumps all that (e.g. I know plenty of people who enjoy the HD650's more laid back sound than the HD800's supposedly "superior" sound). To me being an audiophile means doing one's best to get the most enjoyment out of music (and not striving for the most accurate reproduction of recorded sound).

Even some qualities that sound relatively objective are actually quite subjective. For example, detail, most people would agree with more details = better, but often detail causes more fatigue for some people, and for these people slightly less detail is better. In addition, who's to say that the music producer intended for you to hear all that detail? I doubt music producers check their tracks on SR-009s driven by BHSE or something similar, and maybe some details you were not meant to hear, and if the original artist heard during production, they would've been removed as they were undesired. It's like using a microscope to examine a painting, sure you can see all the details but they may not be intended by the painter (e.g. blemishes and imperfections on the canvas). Now I'm not here to say high-end, detailed audio gear is bad or unnecessary, but I'm just illustrating that personal preference of sound signature is very very important.

Also keep in mind that people generally associate "more expensive" with "better" (I know I've done it). When there is a perceived difference between two different headphones/amps, people often trick themselves into thinking that the more expensive one is better, when otherwise the preference could've gone either way. I'm not saying that this happens all the time (I've been trying to stop myself from doing it), but it definitely happens (a lot).

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #4,383 of 29,013
Quote:
I personally believe that with audio equipment, once you reach and surpass a certain price point (so that you are not listening to significantly low fidelity, distorted sound), it comes down to people own preferences of different styles of sound signatures. Sound quality is still important but IMO personal preference in sonic style trumps all that (e.g. I know plenty of people who enjoy the HD650's more laid back sound than the HD800's supposedly "superior" sound). To me being an audiophile means doing one's best to get the most enjoyment out of music (and not striving for the most accurate reproduction of recorded sound).

Even some qualities that sound relatively objective are actually quite subjective. For example, detail, most people would agree with more details = better, but often detail causes more fatigue for some people, and for these people slightly less detail is better. In addition, who's to say that the music producer intended for you to hear all that detail? I doubt music producers check their tracks on SR-009s driven by BHSE or something similar, and maybe some details you were not meant to hear, and if the original artist heard during production, they would've been removed as they were undesired. It's like using a microscope to examine a painting, sure you can see all the details but they may not be intended by the painter (e.g. blemishes and imperfections on the canvas). Now I'm not here to say high-end, detailed audio gear is bad or unnecessary, but I'm just illustrating that personal preference of sound signature is very very important.

Also keep in mind that people generally associate "more expensive" with "better" (I know I've done it). When there is a perceived difference between two different headphones/amps, people often trick themselves into thinking that the more expensive one is better, when otherwise the preference could've gone either way. I'm not saying that this happens all the time (I've been trying to stop myself from doing it), but it definitely happens (a lot).

Price is far from the only factor. Look at a lot of the audio gd stuff....if the Master 8 were made here in North America it would be more than twice its cost. From all accounts it looks like a real deal TOTL amp. Then there was my Liquid Fire, in the end, I've heard better with cheaper gear like my GS-X (or my WA22 that wasn't too far off). 

FWIW, I  never loved HD650s against even similarly priced headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,384 of 29,013
Quote:
Don't get me wrong here it is sometimes pretty hard work to change my assessment, some phones or rigs are close enough not to matter while in other cases the difference is huge.  Like I said it's all part of the FUN in this hobby, that some of us really enjoy.  Like getting ice cream, I have my favorites, some times its hard to choose. But, I am always looking for the next flavor to add/try.

It's up to each of us to decide how much trust we put into someone else's comments (do we even know the each other beyond this forum?).  Personally I take all the comments I can get, put them all in a bucket, drink it all in, and let it digest a while.  Then go make MY OWN decision.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to follow their advice, it all comes back on the individual to take the risk and make their own choice.  No ones fault but their own.  They and They alone can make the determination as to whether their choice was good.    If some one allows themselves to be influenced/pressured by peers to buy something and then are not happy about it...tough, lesson learned move on...don't let that happen again.

Exactly...and after a few weeks, I found the mod took too much away from the HD800's brilliance (less details, smaller imaging), so I went back to stock. Nice thing as the mod is totally reversible. I would have never done it if it were. Initial impressions are one thing, but sitting down with something for a few weeks is something entirely different and I'm amazed that some forget this fact. Unless you absolutely hate them upon first listen (like the SRH940s....and the second....and the third, etc...
size]
).

In the end, use this information on Head-Fi as inputs, then get out there to a few meets (or audio stores) and listen for yourself and make your own decisions. You're spot on with that.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,385 of 29,013
Quote:
I started out with a MAD Ear+HD amp with my HD800s, then moved to the Schiit Lyr (didn't like the combination in any way as I found it couldn't keep up with the nimbleness of the HD800s and after all, it was designed as an ortho amp to begin with), then the WA2 (great combination), then a WA22 (a slightly better combination), then Liquid Fire (kinda disappointing actually for the money I spent) and finally here at the GS-X MKII. No snobbery whatsoever, just telling you how I hear it. I'd be very happy if my journey ended with the WA2, but after hearing the HD800/GS-X MKII combination, I finally think that I'm getting every last bit out of them. I'm hearing bass rumble, mids that are crystal clear, treble that is smooth without issue and laser-like imaging. Same go for my DACs too. This my personal amp journey with the HD800s...a long and arduous road for sure. 

I really want to try the ECP L-2 (similar price as the GS-X MK II). Tyll recently said it is the best amp for the hd800 he has ever heard hands down, and that he'd choose the hd800 with the L-2 as his island headphone (changed his mind from the LCD3 because of the amp lol)

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #4,386 of 29,013
Quote:

Price is far from the only factor. Look at a lot of the audio gd stuff....if the Master 8 were made here in North America it would be more than twice its cost. From all accounts it looks like a real deal TOTL amp. Then there was my Liquid Fire, in the end, I've heard better with cheaper gear like my GS-X (or my WA22 that wasn't too far off). 

FWIW, I  never loved HD650s against even similarly priced headphones.

Yeah, once I got the HD800's and the HE500's the HD650's went in their box and only come out when I want to compare new equipment and then only for a short time and very rarely.

They are probably destined to be sold soon...

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,387 of 29,013
Quote:
I really want to try the ECP L-2 (similar price as the GS-X MK II). Tyll recently said it is the best amp for the hd800 he has ever heard hands down, and that he'd choose the hd800 with the L-2 as his island headphone (changed his mind from the LCD3 because of the amp lol)

I wonder why ECP Audio doesn't get more mentions here? It looks like a great amp for the HD800s for sure and I'd love to try it. But that said, The GS-X MKII can drive my IEMs right up to the HE-6s. How many amps can do that? However, if I was looking for an HD800 only amp, it would be right up there (with the GS-X and maybe a few others); except for the fact that this old tube guy has happily settled into a solid state only lifestyle. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4,388 of 29,013
I've had my HD 800s for a while now, and am currently swapping between them and the HE-500 all the time.  I just keep both plugged into the V200 and swap over whenever I feel like it.  The HD 800 is definitely superior technically, and is often more enjoyable, but there are songs and albums where I suddenly miss the magic of the Hifimans.  Both fantastic headphones, at the moment I like them about equally.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4,389 of 29,013
Quote:
I wonder why ECP Audio doesn't get more mentions here? It looks like a great amp for the HD800s for sure and I'd love to try it. But that said, The GS-X MKII can drive my IEMs right up to the HE-6s. How many amps can do that? However, if I was looking for an HD800 only amp, it would be right up there (with the GS-X and maybe a few others); except for the fact that this old tube guy has happily settled into a solid state only lifestyle. 

gs-x mkii can drive iems? all the amps i've tried cannot, iems sound weird through them (variety of issues, no mid no bass, lots of noise, etc). does it actually make iems sound better than straight out of portable outputs?

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4,390 of 29,013
Quote:
gs-x mkii can drive iems? all the amps i've tried cannot, iems sound weird through them (variety of issues, no mid no bass, lots of noise, etc). does it actually make iems sound better than straight out of portable outputs?

The Burson Conductor (Soloist) for example drives IEMs perfectly.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #4,391 of 29,013
Originally Posted by negura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Burson Conductor (Soloist) for example drives IEMs perfectly.

As does the Violectric V200.  I've used it with the HD800, HE-400, etc.. down to the JH13 and other very sensitive IEMs.  It works with it all extremely well.  the gain switches are excellent control (+/- 6dB & +/- 12dB), so the noise floor will be very low and there will be room for travel on the pot.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4,392 of 29,013
Quote:

As does the Violectric V200.  I've used it with the HD800, HE-400, etc.. down to the JH13 and other very sensitive IEMs.  It works with it all extremely well.  the gain switches are excellent control (+/- 6dB & +/- 12dB), so the noise floor will be very low and there will be room for travel on the pot.

my v200 cannot drive my ie8 iems. there is no bass, and sounds extremely weird (thin). like there is clearly something wrong with the sound, not just bad quality. no noise though.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #4,393 of 29,013

my v200 cannot drive my ie8 iems. there is no bass, and sounds extremely weird (thin). like there is clearly something wrong with the sound, not just bad quality. no noise though.

"Weird, thin sound" ?  No bass?  From what I've read, the IE8 is a bass monster of sorts.  Seems to me that something might be wrong with your IEMs.. or, you're not getting the proper fit (which would account for the very type of sound you described).

The V200's output impedance is less than .06 ohms, so I highly doubt the poor sound quality you're experiencing is due to inadequate damping between the V200 & IE8.  Your V200 could have some issue.. but I find that extremely unlikely, too.. since Violectric is renowned for incredible build quality and I've never once read of a defective Vio/Lake People amp.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #4,394 of 29,013
Quote:

"Weird, thin sound" ?  No bass?  From what I've read, the IE8 is a bass monster of sorts.  Seems to me that something might be wrong with your IEMs.. or, you're not getting the proper fit (which would account for the very type of sound you described).

The V200's output impedance is less than .06 ohms, so I highly doubt the poor sound quality you're experiencing is due to inadequate damping between the V200 & IE8.  Your V200 could have some issue.. but I find that extremely unlikely, too.. since Violectric is renowned for incredible build quality and I've never once read of a defective Vio/Lake People amp.

my ie8s sound perfectly fine from portable sources that i use (iphone, laptops, and yes it has bass). it sounds weird as in there clearly is an issue with the v200 and ie8, like its not driving it properly. my v200 is perfectly fine otherwise and drives my fullsized phones fine. i have noticed this with other amps as well (otl tube amp), basically certain spectrum in the sound would be missing, the only thing is tube amps also have a constant noise (tubes have higher noise floor), but v200 is quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back