The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #4,156 of 29,010
Nah not that, I cannot imagine what they were doing with their HD800 to chip them! mine seem very resilliant, my cosmetic things are:

the foil grill that goes around the outsides is not sturdy and if I put a finger on it by accident when lifting the phones off my head it bends
I hate the dual side cable, every so often I forget it's there and almost neck myself :)
I'm sure it's some sort of requirement for the quality however the thickness and weight of the cable is forever reminding me it's there :frowning2:
lastly that they weigh a bit much, I know in theory it's all for quality, but my old 590's I could wear for 4-6 hour periods with no issue at all

so... as I said, cosmetic really, the sound is great, the Bass & Treble extension as well as being quite a smooth sound (best I can describe it) works wonders with the Euphoric trance I love:)

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #4,159 of 29,010
Quote:
I'm findng the coloware paint job (glossy paint) is proving to be most durable compared to the stock paint mess job.

This is why I'm (secretly) saving up for a Colorware HD 800..
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #4,161 of 29,010
Quote:

I might be wrong.  But I think I heard they're doing re paint jobs now..  

Send in IS back for $299, so it's a good way to refresh a slightly dinted/scratched HD 800 and get a 1 year extended warranty. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4,162 of 29,010
Quote:
100+ posts since a day ago when I was last on. 

I've laughed, I've cried, I got angry a bit.. I felt disorientated at times.. But very entertaining folks!! Especially these guys

beerchug.gif

exrabigmehdi                                                         BournePerfect

I'm the man!
L3000.gif

-Daniel

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4,163 of 29,010
hey guys i refrained from posting til i had a few weeks with this HD800 (#13xxx) i picked up recently. i have a AudioGd phoenix & only a simple custom OPT SET EL84/12ax7 5watt amp to drive them at the moment. while the HD800 sounded decent on the Pheonix, it really came alive on tubes. huge natural (to me) soundstage, very detail & extended up top, focus mids & deep bass with decent slam (as much as a PS500 to my ears). it does have a grainy quality to the sound esp at high(er) volumes that i like. got a 15" Cardas cable from another headfier mainly for the extend length but on initial 1 day listening, i found that bass seems fuller (& just a mite slower it would seem), details seems ever so slightly flushed out & the graininess (stock cable) seems tamer. all in all, im pretty surprized at the changes in cabling. fwiw, i also have an incoming full recon Fisher 400 tube receiver & a modern Audio Space Galaxy 300b -both with headphone outs tapped off the trafo with 470ohm series resistors if im not incorrect- to try out as i attempt to build a rig round these HD800s. while i cannot say if these cans are the endgame for me, i can say that with the simple tube amp & cardas cable, this HD800 is the singular best headphone i have listened to. it exceeds my full speaker rig in flushing details & provides as much sonic pleasure as the speakers (& i dont believe i have a crap speaker rig IMO). for sure, in the later evenings, it brings a smile to my face when i cannot crank up the stereo. im sooo glad i joined the HD800 club!!! Viva La Senn....!!! EDIT:tried to put in separate paragraphs but it doesnt seem to be working for me so pardon the long paragraph!

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4,164 of 29,010
I sometimes forget just how good the hd800's really are when I'm using them for casual gaming, home theater purposes or new music discovery via mog.  I'm not saying that pop and rock aren't enjoyable on hd800's (far from it), but it is when I sit down and really listen to some well recorded classical, jazz or other acoustic music, and immerse myself in the incredible realism, timbre, detail and sound stage these cans have to offer, that my jaw drops all over again.  I found myself rooted to my seat last night at 1:30 a.m. listening to Pierre Fournier's Bach Cello Suites (http://www.amazon.com/Suites-Solo-Cello-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000001GRZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ).  Simply wonderful.  I couldn't bring myself to pry them off and go to bed.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4,165 of 29,010
Quote:
hey guys i refrained from posting til i had a few weeks with this HD800 (#13xxx) i picked up recently. i have a AudioGd phoenix & only a simple custom OPT SET EL84/12ax7 5watt amp to drive them at the moment. while the HD800 sounded decent on the Pheonix, it really came alive on tubes. huge natural (to me) soundstage, very detail & extended up top, focus mids & deep bass with decent slam (as much as a PS500 to my ears). it does have a grainy quality to the sound esp at high(er) volumes that i like. got a 15" Cardas cable from another headfier mainly for the extend length but on initial 1 day listening, i found that bass seems fuller (& just a mite slower it would seem), details seems ever so slightly flushed out & the graininess (stock cable) seems tamer. all in all, im pretty surprized at the changes in cabling. fwiw, i also have an incoming full recon Fisher 400 tube receiver & a modern Audio Space Galaxy 300b -both with headphone outs tapped off the trafo with 470ohm series resistors if im not incorrect- to try out as i attempt to build a rig round these HD800s. while i cannot say if these cans are the endgame for me, i can say that with the simple tube amp & cardas cable, this HD800 is the singular best headphone i have listened to. it exceeds my full speaker rig in flushing details & provides as much sonic pleasure as the speakers (& i dont believe i have a crap speaker rig IMO). for sure, in the later evenings, it brings a smile to my face when i cannot crank up the stereo. im sooo glad i joined the HD800 club!!! Viva La Senn....!!! EDIT:tried to put in separate paragraphs but it doesnt seem to be working for me so pardon the long paragraph!

Nice impressions and welcome to best club in town! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,166 of 29,010
Quote:
 I'm not saying that pop and rock aren't enjoyable on hd800's (far from it), but it is when I sit down and really listen to some well recorded classical, jazz or other acoustic music, and immerse myself in the incredible realism, timbre,

Well so far the genre that work best for me on  hd800 (without mod or trick):
- classical
- dark metal
- dark ambient
- etheral stuff

I'd be curious of which pop or rock you enjoy on your hd800 .
It's really not a surprise that the hd800 succeed for classical.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4,167 of 29,010
thxs bud. so far, im super impressed by them. i also briefly tried out a LCD2v2 powered by a ****t Gungir & Mjolnir (or something like that) & i can safely say that my HD800 with the cheap ($300) tube amp out classed it in almost everyway including -believe it or not- bass, both in extension & slam! its weirding me out that my HD800 out slams the (in)famous Audeze!!!

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4,168 of 29,010
Just picked up a Sansui Receiver to run the HD800 off them.  Wanted to see if it would be better than Mojo + HD800.  Mojo with my LCD3 is great but not so much with the HD800.  Hope it gets better.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,169 of 29,010
ran the HD800 off a Sansui AU-517 & though good, its no where close to what i hear from tubes. i hear harshness up top where i dont on tubes but it could also be cos of the old caps on the vintage Sansui. also sounds is more flat with SS while its more full bodies with soundstage & depth on the tube amp.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,170 of 29,010
well, not sure what's happening to yours, I throw mine around a bit and not a single chip so far, I don't have a headphone stand or anything, they just get dumped in the same spot the amp is... no padding or anything, maybe it's just a matter of time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back