The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,126 of 29,017
Quote:
I've listened to PLENTY of mid-fi ss amps with the HD800 though-and frankly they all sounded like s*** one way or another-especially when compared to the ZDSE-but obviously that must be expected at the price differences.

I'd be curious of your reactions with the HDVD800 or Violectric HPA V200 then.
If all the ss amp sounds like s** including the high end one, you'd just have to admit you like tube sounds.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,127 of 29,017
Quote:
Did I say that ? I was talking of transparency. Transparent should always sound same, a subtlety you seem to miss.

EDIT:

No not really. Transparency is only transparent til you hear something you couldn't before. For instance the Dynalo was long considered one of the most transparent amps you could buy. Small problem-my ZDSE (
cool.gif
) dug much further into the recording, revealing depth to textures, details across the spectrum, and outright TROUNCED my Dynalo across the board (except for digital glare, and brittleness). So tell me which was more 'transparent'?

'Transparency' isn't as cut and dry as we tend to believe.

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #4,128 of 29,017
Quote:
Awesome-I always wanted to try the HD800/V200 combo! I just ordered an MJ so I'll post some impressions too-along with comparisons to my former ZDSE (same dac, but balanced to MJ).

-Daniel

Nice!  My current setup is basically the most high-end one I've heard, so I don't have a lot to compare with, but for what it's worth the Violectric stack seems to sound very good with the HD 800.  The Mjolnir has a reputation for being aggressive, so I'm curious how it will work with your HD 800.  

Most of all, I'm looking forward to my Taboo MKIII arriving - it should ship any time now.  :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,129 of 29,017
Quote:

I'd be curious of your reactions with the HDVD800 or Violectric HPA V200 then.
If all the ss amp sounds like s** including the high end one, you'd just have to admit you like tube sounds.

*all the ss amps I've owned*
Stop putting words in my mouth. I would like to hear both of those amps-but I have a more transparent one being built as we speak. :) Here's hoping the Mjolnir can tide me over.

You go listen to a ZDSE, and if that sounds like s*** to you, you'd just have to admit you like digital glare, 2D imaging, lack of texture, and music in general.  Amirite?

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,130 of 29,017
Quote:

Nice!  My current setup is basically the most high-end one I've heard, so I don't have a lot to compare with, but for what it's worth the Violectric stack seems to sound very good with the HD 800.  The Mjolnir has a reputation for being aggressive, so I'm curious how it will work with your HD 800.  

Most of all, I'm looking forward to my Taboo MKIII arriving - it should ship any time now.  :)

Very nice-I've almost pulled the trigger on a Decware numerous times-I'm sure you'll love that Taboo with the Senns. Regarding the Mjolnir, it seems that a lot of the bright/aggressive comments have stemmed from pairing it with the Gungnir it seems. My Eximus is on the sweet (not warm) side, and I've heard those who's opinions I trust say that the MJ is smooth and dynamic. We shall see. Enjoy that Violectric stack-I'm sure it would cost serious $$ too beat it by a fair bit. Good choice!

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4,131 of 29,017
Quote:

Hmmm, I've done a google search, it seem that the "scientific" word of transparency seems reserved when you can't make distinction between a lossy & lossless file. While there's is an audiophile understanding of the words "transparent source", which off course don't follow a strict definition:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary
Well,  it's seems to me more a problem of vocabulary than anything.
But my understanding from  HA and even elsewhere  is that all source with good specs (low thd, freq response, output impedance etc)
should sound same, which is very "cut and dry".

This what I've been to told once at kvr forum, a place you'd see audio engineers, dsp developpers:
Quote:
I'd strongly recommend against valves in any reference piece of kit that one wants linearity from/total same results.

Which means valve (= tube amp)  have non linear distorsions.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #4,135 of 29,017

Taboo mk iii, wow. Would like to hear your comparison to V200 please. Thanks,

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,136 of 29,017
Quote:
No not really. Transparency is only transparent til you hear something you couldn't before. For instance the Dynalo was long considered one of the most transparent amps you could buy. Small problem-my ZDSE (
cool.gif
) dug much further into the recording, revealing depth to textures, details across the spectrum, and outright TROUNCED my Dynalo across the board (except for digital glare, and brittleness). So tell me which was more 'transparent'?

-Daniel

Can you please explain what this digital glare means to you?  I've read what it means to others on the other site.  Just want to hear your meaning.. 

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,137 of 29,017
Quote:
Hum ok. Did you listen to them extensively ? Did you find a lot of difference between the ss amps you like ?
At least you recommend a model that doesn't break the bank.

Yes-in fact I've owned the m-Stage 3 times now lol. The m-Stage and Phonitor are about as different sounding as you can get. The m-Stage is very warm, and sounds somewhat congested compared to other amps, esp the Auditor-which is extremely detailed, transparent(!) and spacious. I did find the Auditor/HD800 combo distracting at times-I think because of the somewhat unnatural soundstaging of the Auditor caused random frequencies to sound sucked out at times and tended to make some vocals/instruments distractingly wonky sounding at times. The Rock I didn't use for an extensive period-but if memory serves it reminded me of the m-Stage, but with muddier bass (and more quantity).

Quote:

Can you please explain what this digital glare means to you?  I've read what it means to others on the other site.  Just want to hear your meaning.. 

Thanks.

I guess it's not something I would have ever noticed until I got used to the ZDSE, then went back to more ss amps lately. I guess it kind of seems to me like there's a constant digital sheen or fog over ALL frequencies-kind of like a subtle piercing treble, but much less noticeable because it is even throughout. Kinda reminds me of the difference between a good NOS dac vs. most delta-sigmas, if that's something you can relate to...

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,138 of 29,017
Quote:

I guess it's not something I would have ever noticed until I got used to the ZDSE, then went back to more ss amps lately. I guess it kind of seems to me like there's a constant digital sheen or fog over ALL frequencies-kind of like a subtle piercing treble, but much less noticeable because it is even throughout. Kinda reminds me of the difference between a good NOS dac vs. most delta-sigmas, if that's something you can relate to...

-Daniel

Cool - Gotcha....

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,139 of 29,017
Quote:

Your gonna love the Taboo MKIII, I think, next is tube rolling...
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Wow, lot of posts to skip over, with the old married couple arguing....
tongue_smile.gif
 poke poke

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4,140 of 29,017
bearFNF you really, really made me laugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back