The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,112 of 29,017
So far the most "musical" experience I  managed to get while listening to compilations such like Buddha bar , or cafe del mar:
using a basic foam mod (more meaty bass, tamed treble resonances) , + spl transient designer on dsp chain  to "fatten" the decay.

Sounds like an enhanced hd595,  relaxing, but with much more clarity & bass.
I  guess that for the most "aggressive" stuff , I  should stick to my srh940.

I got limited success with crossfeeds, I rather not use them. 
And no need to eq, with the "foam mod".

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4,113 of 29,017
Quote:
Yes, I am comfortable stating my personal preference. What's your point?

Um...

Quote:
Like all components, I don't think anyone can say one sounds "better" than the other.

wink.gif

Also, let me know when you hear an SS amp that sounds exactly like a ZDSE or ECBA-I'll be first onboard!

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4,114 of 29,017
Quote:
So far the most "musical" experience I  managed to get while listening to compilations such like Buddha bar , or cafe del mar:
using a basic foam mod (more meaty bass, tamed treble resonances) , + spl transient designer on dsp chain  to "fatten" the decay.

Sounds like an enhanced hd595,  relaxing, but with much more clarity & bass.
I  guess that for the most "aggressive" stuff , I  should stick to my srh940.

I got limited success with crossfeeds, I rather not use them. 
And no need to eq, with the "foam mod".

So.....you've found another way to add distortions that make it 'musical' for you....not using tubes. But, distortions just the same. Foam mods, eq, transient tinkerings. Good on ya!

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #4,117 of 29,017
Quote:

So.....you've found another way to add distortions that make it 'musical' for you....not using tubes. But, distortions just the same. Foam mods, eq, transient tinkerings. Good on ya!

-Daniel

Yes .... But people here are refuting here that tube  could "sound better" because of the added distortion.
I've never refuted  that tube could sound better, I'm rather looking for rational explanations.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,120 of 29,017
Haha it seems like you guys have been arguing for the past few pages, but I'm still not quite sure about what.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,121 of 29,017
Quote:
Then look for it in the sound science forums, and do us all a favor and stop spamming the HD 800 APPRECIATION THREAD.
-Daniel

Sorry, I thought it was the appreciation thread for amps & cables good for the hd800.
With you repeating like a broken disc how awesome the hd800 sounds good from a ZDSE, I  think we got the point.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,122 of 29,017
Um...

wink.gif

Also, let me know when you hear an SS amp that sounds exactly like a ZDSE or ECBA-I'll be first onboard!

-Daniel

If you had read (and understood) my comment in its entirety, you would have known that I was saying that I do not believe one should make broad universal comments that one amp is better than another. The context of my comment was clearly that I was stating my own personal preference for one over the other with the HD800 during that particular listening session. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misunderstood and did not purposely take my comment out of context to prove some point.

As for your sarcasm about telling you when I hear a SS amp that sounds exactly like a ZDSE or ECBA...do you not see the irony in your willingness to pigeonhole yourself with your confidence that you believe it is impossible?

Double standards...

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4,123 of 29,017
Erm, so I'm now going to go ahead and post about my appreciation of the HD 800.  

I've had it for a few weeks now, and I'm liking it more and more.  What's surprising to me is that I increasingly like it with types of music that I anticipated I would always prefer my HE-500 for, like metal and heavy rock.  But even with relatively lo-fi music I'm starting to prefer the space and detail of the HD 800.  I've been listening to a fair bit of black metal recently, like the new Vhol and Darkestrah albums, and at the moment I prefer both on the Sennheisers.  It might still be a honeymoon period, but right now I just can't get enough of that beautifully detailed and spacious sound.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,124 of 29,017
Quote:
If you had read (and understood) my comment in its entirety, you would have known that I was saying that I do not believe one should make broad universal comments that one amp is better than another. The context of my comment was clearly that I was stating my own personal preference for one over the other with the HD800 during that particular listening session. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misunderstood and did not purposely take my comment out of context to prove some point.

As for your sarcasm about telling you when I hear a SS amp that sounds exactly like a ZDSE or ECBA...do you not see the irony in your willingness to pigeonhole yourself with your confidence that you believe it is impossible?

Double standards...

I didn't say it was impossible-in fact I said I'd be first onboard as I much prefer the ease of ss over the hassle of tubes. I've also clearly stated a few times that I haven't heard a lot of high end ss amps (YET), so my opinion will probably change. I've listened to PLENTY of mid-fi ss amps with the HD800 though-and frankly they all sounded like s*** one way or another-especially when compared to the ZDSE-but obviously that must be expected at the price differences. Speaking of s***-I JUST placed an order for a Mjolnir to try out with my DP-1/HD800...hoping to be impressed! :)

And please don't try and offend me with the double standards comment-I speak only from my personal experiences as best I can, and am willing to put my money where my mouth is with this hobby. Thanks.

-Daniel

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,125 of 29,017
Quote:
Erm, so I'm now going to go ahead and post about my appreciation of the HD 800.  

I've had it for a few weeks now, and I'm liking it more and more.  What's surprising to me is that I increasingly like it with types of music that I anticipated I would always prefer my HE-500 for, like metal and heavy rock.  But even with relatively lo-fi music I'm starting to prefer the space and detail of the HD 800.  I've been listening to a fair bit of black metal recently, like the new Vhol and Darkestrah albums, and at the moment I prefer both on the Sennheisers.  It might still be a honeymoon period, but right now I just can't get enough of that beautifully detailed and spacious sound.  

Awesome-I always wanted to try the HD800/V200 combo! I just ordered an MJ so I'll post some impressions too-along with comparisons to my former ZDSE (same dac, but balanced to MJ).

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back