The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #28,757 of 28,989
Nov 30, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #28,758 of 28,989
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #28,760 of 28,989
I agree - I think the size and density of the stock pads are important elements of the design - and affect the sound quite a bit. As mentioned above, the only non-genuine pads I've tried that come close are Geekria (on Amazon) - pretty good I think.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #28,761 of 28,989
Everyone has different anatomy and neurological make-up so it's understandable that some like the stock earpads and others like a 3rd party earpad. I personally use the Dekoni Elite fenestrated and find them quite enjoyable. Paired with a Topping A90 amp, the HD800 with the SuperDupont resonator mod are still my favorite.

Side note: I just wish Topping products were more reliable... I've had two DX7 Pro DAC/amp units die in the same manner. It starts with no audio or being unable to adjust the volume via the knob or remote, and when you turn the unit off, it will no longer turn back on. My original DX7 Pro was repaired under warranty and is on the way back to me, but a second-hand unit I purchased now needs the same repair. I'm highly unlikely to buy another Topping product based on this experience.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #28,762 of 28,989
Everyone has different anatomy and neurological make-up so it's understandable that some like the stock earpads and others like a 3rd party earpad. I personally use the Dekoni Elite fenestrated and find them quite enjoyable. Paired with a Topping A90 amp, the HD800 with the SuperDupont resonator mod are still my favorite.

Side note: I just wish Topping products were more reliable... I've had two DX7 Pro DAC/amp units die in the same manner. It starts with no audio or being unable to adjust the volume via the knob or remote, and when you turn the unit off, it will no longer turn back on. My original DX7 Pro was repaired under warranty and is on the way back to me, but a second-hand unit I purchased now needs the same repair. I'm highly unlikely to buy another Topping product based on this experience.
Yes, point taken. Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer - I simply meant to say I'm convinced that the pads really do affect the sound. My own preference for the stock pads reflects my preference for a sound that's as 'open' as possible (impressionistic, I know). I think this contributes a great deal to the sense of distance from the performance space that these phones can create - and which I particularly like. Having tried a range of non-genuine replacements, I haven't found one that's as 'good' in this respect. As mentioned, the density and size seem to affect the issue.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #28,763 of 28,989
Does anyone know of a person or place to repair HD800's? The pin on one side of the headphones popped out and the earcup is all loose now. Luckily I have a pair of HD650 as backup and not sounding too bad.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #28,764 of 28,989
Does anyone know of a person or place to repair HD800's? The pin on one side of the headphones popped out and the earcup is all loose now. Luckily I have a pair of HD650 as backup and not sounding too bad.

@jfunk

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #28,765 of 28,989
How is the tactility of percussive attacks on the hd800?
I have had the 600's for many years (8?) and have recently been trying various planar headphones like the Ananda and LCD-X. One thing I've been bothered by is no matter how I EQ these planars, they never produce the same tactility of symbols, guitar strumming, and other high frequency transients as the ole HD600. On the 600's I really get that sense of physicality and the attacks really jump out from the texture before subsiding down. While on Planars they always feel stuck behind other instruments.
Would the HD800 improve on the 600 soundstage while maintaining that sense of tactility given they would be EQ'd?

I tried the 800S once, but couldn't mess with EQ. The midrange dip really blunted things. Curious to hear thoughts on how they respond after EQ

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #28,766 of 28,989
The HD800's are significantly better at percussive attack than the 600 series.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #28,768 of 28,989
Good to know! In your sig you got LCD-X. How'd you compare the two in this regard?
If I want some EDM I love the LCD-X's. If I want clarity I enjoy the 800's.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #28,769 of 28,989
How is the tactility of percussive attacks on the hd800?
I have had the 600's for many years (8?) and have recently been trying various planar headphones like the Ananda and LCD-X. One thing I've been bothered by is no matter how I EQ these planars, they never produce the same tactility of symbols, guitar strumming, and other high frequency transients as the ole HD600. On the 600's I really get that sense of physicality and the attacks really jump out from the texture before subsiding down. While on Planars they always feel stuck behind other instruments.
Would the HD800 improve on the 600 soundstage while maintaining that sense of tactility given they would be EQ'd?

I tried the 800S once, but couldn't mess with EQ. The midrange dip really blunted things. Curious to hear thoughts on how they respond after EQ
I have both the HD800s and the HD600.
IMO they are 2 totally different headphones, if you really like your HD600 and want to retain the same qualities but with more of everything, the Focal Clear is a better choice that the HD800s in my opinion.
The HD800s sounds pretty thin compared to the HD600, yes the HD800s is a good headphone but imo it's not very fun compared to the HD600, the Focal Clear has a similar signature to the HD600 but with more of everything, better details, more low end, punchier.

Anyway, that's how I hear things, best option is to try them yourself and see what you like.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #28,770 of 28,989
I agree that the Focal line of Dynamics has a more defined low end than the HD800's. I never considered the HD800's to be thin. My Utopia's compare better to my HD650's than the HD800's but they are a significant upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back