The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #27,498 of 29,013
Are you using the Benchmark Dac 1 headphone amp jack to drive the HD800?
Yes, and before you say anything, I contacted rory rall at benchmark yesterday and he said both the dac1 and dac2 with their headphone jack is more than enough to drive the 800.

And they must work well together because I have not heard better outside of my golden ears. The dynamics, soundstage, bass are all magnificent. Duel of the Fates really wowed me with the bass.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #27,500 of 29,013
Yes, and before you say anything, I contacted rory rall at benchmark yesterday and he said both the dac1 and dac2 with their headphone jack is more than enough to drive the 800.

Actually i wasnt doubting the power limits. I am thinking how it sounds? Is it warm, bright, etch...

Now i am wondering how the Dac 3 will sound?

May 14, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #27,501 of 29,013
Actually i wasnt doubting the power limits. I am thinking how it sounds? Is it warm, bright, etch...

Now i am wondering how the Dac 3 will sound?

I believe the sound is just clean and uncolored. There is nothing added to my ears.
Here is what Rory said about the combo and its honesty:

"I think that it may be because the Benchmark dacs are so transparent and the 800’s as well. Too much of a good thing?"

I responded that is not too much of a good thing for me. I love the accuracy.

May 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #27,502 of 29,013
I believe the sound is just clean and uncolored. There is nothing added to my ears.
Here is what Rory said about the combo and its honesty:

"I think that it may be because the Benchmark dacs are so transparent and the 800’s as well. Too much of a good thing?"

I responded that is not too much of a good thing for me. I love the accuracy.

So the Dac1 is not bright for the HD800? Theres no glare and such?

May 14, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #27,505 of 29,013
So the Dac1 is not bright for the HD800? Theres no glare and such?
Not that I can tell. I mean even champagne supernova and wonder wall sounded the best I've ever heard! The only track last night that sounded too bright was the pixies b side wave of mutilation surf mix, and I blame a bad recording.

DMs enjoy the silence, which I've been listening to since it came out, sounds incredible. There's so much detail.

I don't think the combo is bright at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back