The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #27,466 of 28,992
The sundaras are still the best for gaming. The bullets in BFV frighten me through the sundaras (I actually scream sometimes when I'm sniped out of nowhere from the bullet shot ringing out).

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #27,467 of 28,992
Ive told my co-workers this morning these cans are like the heavens opened and I can hear the choir of angels. I am VERY satisfied. I would gladly pay 1k for these again.
Like I’ve said before, a good used pair of 800/S is the biggest bargain in high-end head-fi right now, the 800 more than the 800S (800+SDR+new pads+refurb plastic to new cost me about $700), but an 800S at ~$1k is still excellent! Think of what else you can get for that money - absolutely nothing in this league.

May 10, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #27,469 of 28,992
Just goes to show that the only things you can truly trust are your own ears and own gears :wink: I held out on the HD800 for the same reasons as you, and when I finally got them the only thing I regretted was all that wasted time spent looking for the endgame when it was here all along...
So true. This was exactly my experience as well.

I believe building your system around your headphone instead of the other way around. A great compatible system would make the hd800 a deadly summit-fi can.

May 10, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #27,471 of 28,992
Here’s a suggestion, because I’ve found it useful in preventing paint chipping. I lay my 800’s on a hand towel when I put them down for a moment, it really keeps them in tip top shape :wink:
Agreed. I keep them in their box next to the desk, or on the desk on a large gel gaming pad (I don’t game but the pad is useful). The way some people treat their headphones - putting them down on hard surfaces or hanging them up on unsuitable stands - is just atrocious. Why pay so much money for something and then mistreat it?

May 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #27,472 of 28,992
Like I’ve said before, a good used pair of 800/S is the biggest bargain in high-end head-fi right now, the 800 more than the 800S (800+SDR+new pads+refurb plastic to new cost me about $700), but an 800S at ~$1k is still excellent! Think of what else you can get for that money - absolutely nothing in this league.
I don't think I would get the S version now, I'm very happy with the non S version. And like I said, I listened to the S and it was great, but I don't recall that much difference to justify the cash outlay.

May 10, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #27,474 of 28,992
I don't think I would get the S version now, I'm very happy with the non S version. And like I said, I listened to the S and it was great, but I don't recall that much difference to justify the cash outlay.
Apologies I thought you got the S. I agree, I heard the S on my system and actually didn’t like it anywhere near as much as the 800 I finally bought. Not sure what it was - just didn’t gel with me. I do prefer my 800 with the SDR mod but I liked it before the mod as well. If you’re feeling adventurous it’s an easy and easily reversible mod to make.

May 10, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #27,475 of 28,992
Apologies I thought you got the S. I agree, I heard the S on my system and actually didn’t like it anywhere near as much as the 800 I finally bought. Not sure what it was - just didn’t gel with me. I do prefer my 800 with the SDR mod but I liked it before the mod as well. If you’re feeling adventurous it’s an easy and easily reversible mod to make.
I'm very happy with the way it sounds stock. Very transparent. I spent my whole adult life in search of the perfect speaker/source combo, and I found that in the golden ear/bryston/benchmark combo. I feel I've found that same beauty in the 800/benchmark combo, so I'm good.

May 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #27,476 of 28,992
I'm very happy with the way it sounds stock. Very transparent. I spent my whole adult life in search of the perfect speaker/source combo, and I found that in the golden ear/bryston/benchmark combo. I feel I've found that same beauty in the 800/benchmark combo, so I'm good.
Happy to see your excitement to own them turn to enjoyment. I have only owned mine a few months now and I can not prize them off my head.

May 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #27,477 of 28,992
I've been listening to a lot of Megadeth tonight while playing Days Gone, and the 800 is great for heavy metal as well.

And also My Chemical Romance

And my favorite genre jazz. John Coltrane Blue Train sounds marvelous.

Oh, and Recoil. Jezebel never sounded so evil.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #27,478 of 28,992
I don't know how people say these aren't 'fun' or are fatiguing. I have a no nonsense amp that measures well and I fell asleep last night listening to the 800. All those reviews that made me apprehensive I'm glad were wrong.

Lucky man, I'm a side sleeper so unless I put my head on a doughnut then I dont think it's gonna work out well for me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back