The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #27,481 of 28,989
My cottage is now under water, but I was able to save my audio gear there. Thank goodness for that. Well, except for that nht sub in the picture. Ottawa valley flood.
20190512_104213.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #27,482 of 28,989
Oh **** not good. Hope you have killed the power, you have things still plugged in.

May 13, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #27,487 of 28,989
Try the TH900, mate. And you'll kiss the sundara bye-bye.

Agree. Aside from that I'm kinda amazed how the HD800 and TH-900 still cannot be beat for gaming/movies. The only other headphone which I would place next to them would be the Susvara because it is not soft as most of today's Hifiman, has great width, depth and height, the details, natural tonality etc etc.. However 6k? No way.

A few days ago I finished The Last of US on the PS4 (yeah, years late) and it was a fantastic experience. Both the game itself and how the audio part was presented. Most Sony titles do it right. I switched between the HD800 and the TH-900 for each session.
The sounds of those guns were truly menacing and having used the rifle with pretty high accuracy (scarcity of ammo makes you hold onto the "every bullet counts" philosophy very dearly) every one of its shots made me feel both powerful and also kinda wary.

Overall I'd give the nod to the HD800 because it doesn't really concede much, shines especially on openness, air, soundstage, attack and still goes menacingly low while maintaing a very tight and hardhitting midbass. TH-900 wins for subbass, immediacy and "wow factor". Yeah the latter doesn't really say much, it simply has its own charme with its thunderous, clean, clear presentation. If you own one you know what I mean.

May 13, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #27,488 of 28,989
@Fegefeuer
Damn right you are late to play that masterpiece. Now try to beat it on grounded mode :) I did.

Pretty much by 2020 is last of us 2.

May 13, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #27,489 of 28,989
I have to say I slightly regretted playing on normal because I only died out of sheer arrogance and it was never because I had a hard time succeeding or surviving. Overestimated the challenge. TLOU was still a very exciting journey and the technical limitations of the PS3 era compared to today's didn't bother me at all.

Soundwise it's one of the rare games that really shine on great headphones and speakers. I have a few titles on my queue, if TLOU2 will indeed arrive in 2020 and not 2019 then I might find time for the "grounded mode". Until then I have SOTC, TLG, Days Gone, Sekiro and Until Dawn to play. Probably Sekiro next. Not sure yet.

May 13, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #27,490 of 28,989
@Fegefeuer
Damn right you are late to play that masterpiece. Now try to beat it on grounded mode :) I did.

Pretty much by 2020 is last of us 2.
Yeah, TLOU was amazing, though I played it years ago. Days Gone I'm playing now and it has a similar vibe. I have disagree about the 800s and games because my sundaras can't be beat for shear dynamics in BFV. I'm going to keep them solely for gaming now. I keep my sony platinums around for when I need a mic.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #27,491 of 28,989
I have to say I slightly regretted playing on normal because I only died out of sheer arrogance and it was never because I had a hard time succeeding or surviving. Overestimated the challenge. TLOU was still a very exciting journey and the technical limitations of the PS3 era compared to today's didn't bother me at all.

Soundwise it's one of the rare games that really shine on great headphones and speakers. I have a few titles on my queue, if TLOU2 will indeed arrive in 2020 and not 2019 then I might find time for the "grounded mode". Until then I have SOTC, TLG, Days Gone, Sekiro and Until Dawn to play. Probably Sekiro next. Not sure yet.
I hear you, I played on hard and normal on two different play throughs.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #27,492 of 28,989
Might be a stupid question because you have plenty of good gear in your signature, but are you driving the HD 800 from the O2 amp? If yes, I suggest loaning a different amp or bringing your HD 800 to a meet.

The HD800 can be very muscular, dynamic, hardhitting and overall "ballsy". The low end will not have the low end heft of an Audeze or the rumble of the TH-900 but it will still hit hard and have "startling" dynamics/transients.

May 13, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #27,493 of 28,989
Might be a stupid question because you have plenty of good gear in your signature, but are you driving the HD 800 from the O2 amp? If yes, I suggest loaning a different amp or bringing your HD 800 to a meet.

The HD800 can be very muscular, dynamic, hardhitting and overall "ballsy". The low end will not have the low end heft of an Audeze or the rumble of the TH-900 but it will still hit hard and have "startling" dynamics/transients.
I'm using the Benchmark dac 1 hdr or a dac 2 D, depending on whether I'm in my bedroom or home theatre. They are extraordinary products. I'm all good. I'm very happy with the way benchmark and the 800 sound together. Stephanie Sykes hits VERY hard. That's all the bass I need.

I'll probably buy a benchmark dac 4, when it's released, and an hpa4, which looks awesome.

I use the O2 with my Nightowls which sounds downright luxurious.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #27,494 of 28,989
However 6k? No way.
There you go.
A few days ago I finished The Last of US on the PS4 (yeah, years late) and it was a fantastic experience.
One of the best game ever. Will invoke emotions. Better late than never, mate.
Overall I'd give the nod to the HD800 because it doesn't really concede much, shines especially on openness, air, soundstage, attack and still goes menacingly low while maintaing a very tight and hardhitting midbass. TH-900 wins for subbass, immediacy and "wow factor". Yeah the latter doesn't really say much, it simply has its own charme with its thunderous, clean, clear presentation
Hd800 does feel more airy and open. Stage is larger. Bass is also a killer on the right chain. Detailed and slams too.

But for movies/gaming, TH900 is the best. It has better imaging and pinpoint location than HD800.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back