The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #25,443 of 29,017
On Mac, you need Sonarworks, Pedalboard, and Soundflower. Funny how all the names are two otherwise incongruous words. 

What next? Lightbank? Columnbook? Fruitwave? 

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #25,444 of 29,017
  On Mac, you need Sonarworks, Pedalboard, and Soundflower. Funny how all the names are two otherwise incongruous words. 

What next? Lightbank? Columnbook? Fruitwave? 

Just get Audio Hijack, so much easier and better SQ (when I tested them anyway). Pedalboard was prone to cracks and pops.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #25,445 of 29,017

What next? Lightbank? Columnbook? Fruitwave

I know what you are talking about, and taking a step back and just reading these words from a perspective of someone reading this for the first time. I cannot imagine the confusion on their faces. The names these days... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #25,446 of 29,017
"Pedalboard" is just two incongruous words? Holy hell, not one musician here. Dancing about architecture indeed.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #25,447 of 29,017
I need some advise and thought of ear pad replacement for HD800. I bought HD800 second hand mid last year and looks like I am the 3rd owner but not sure how much usage it had in total. The condition of the unit is excellent and much much better than I expected it for it is early production unit (serial 2197). I got a new balanced cable though stock work well.

Now my question is how do I determine if it require change of ear pads?. As I can see no any damage to ear pads but cannot tell if it is compressed etc. I keep the headphone on a wooden headphone ($30 from ebay from China) stand all the time but it is not a perfect fit for HD800. I got the unit for $750 and earpads cost almost $160 in Australia (but I could get from UK much less).

I also want to understand from someone who actually changed ear pads not because they were broken /damaged but just for passage of time if they experienced any difference. I do not want to waste money for unnecessarily as my ear pads are in good physical condition as I can see. HD800 is not my only headphone and have Elears, AKG K812, HE560 as such my listening time divided

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #25,449 of 29,017
  Can your ears touch the drivers? Do the ear pads smell?

Those are my two criteria. 

LOL, bosiemoncrieff. If I were ever tempted to purchase a used pair of headphones I would make sure I had a replacement set of earpads (and headband) purchased in advance or no deal.

I try to be careful about where I stick my nose.

Amazon US has them for $90.00 US and a combo with a replacement headband is $141 US.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #25,450 of 29,017
I need some advise and thought of ear pad replacement for HD800. I bought HD800 second hand mid last year and looks like I am the 3rd owner but not sure how much usage it had in total. The condition of the unit is excellent and much much better than I expected it for it is early production unit (serial 2197). I got a new balanced cable though stock work well.

Now my question is how do I determine if it require change of ear pads?. As I can see no any damage to ear pads but cannot tell if it is compressed etc. I keep the headphone on a wooden headphone ($30 from ebay from China) stand all the time but it is not a perfect fit for HD800. I got the unit for $750 and earpads cost almost $160 in Australia (but I could get from UK much less).

I also want to understand from someone who actually changed ear pads not because they were broken /damaged but just for passage of time if they experienced any difference. I do not want to waste money for unnecessarily as my ear pads are in good physical condition as I can see. HD800 is not my only headphone and have Elears, AKG K812, HE560 as such my listening time divided

They must have seen a lot of usage I bet. IIRC an HD800 with SN #11XXX could be hitting its 5 years old mark already, so for one in #02XXX, that could be 6-7 years but not sure so CMIIW.

In my case, I could feel the earpads are kinda oily (eew) with some of the textures deteriorated, so I replaced it.
Funnily enough, comparing my old earpads and my 1 year old earpads, they more or less have the same thickness but fresh earpads feel softer.
Either way if your HD800 earpads have never been replaced before, I would advise to replace it since the old earpads have seen looots of use during its lifetime.
Also, changing earpad, I couldn't notice any sound difference.

Never actually heard of someone having ears big enough to touch the drivers since HD800's cups are really deep 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #25,451 of 29,017
I got mine used 18 months ago, SN 6311, and my ears always touched the lining inside the ear cups when i first got them. replaced headband and earpods as soon as i could, and now they only grace the lining occasionally, in certain odd positions on my head. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #25,452 of 29,017

Thanks for the reply. No for both. That means there is no need to change. I appreciate the fact that only you provided direct answer for one of the two questions I raised. I never question about hygiene If it is hygienically unacceptable I would not even ask the question and would have changed the pads.

No one yet to answer the question- those who did not change specifically for Hygenic/damages to ear pad if they find sonic improvement after the change.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #25,453 of 29,017
I am about to change to my 3rd set of pads.
And no I don't hear much, if any, change just due to a pad swap.

However moving them around on my head does change the acoustic presentation and is quite noticeable.

JJ

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #25,454 of 29,017
  I am about to change to my 3rd set of pads.
And no I don't hear much, if any, change just due to a pad swap.

However moving them around on my head does change the acoustic presentation and is quite noticeable.

JJ

Thanks

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #25,455 of 29,017
I have bought SDR mod kit to use with hd800 and I find it quite good for its price to reduce 5-6 kHz peak but I somehow find it still need thicker mid bass so I look at my inventory and find mimimamo pad which I used with mdr 1r.

Firstly I put to cover the pad and I feel the sound is worse - soundstage isn't what it should be.

Then I come up with the idea like anax mod- try putting pad inside on the dust cover. And yup there it is. The mid bass is meaty at level I find it more musical yet detailed and unique sound as it design to be.

If you have a chance, try once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back