The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #25,456 of 29,017
Then I come up with the idea like anax mod- try putting pad inside on the dust cover. And yup there it is. The mid bass is meaty at level I find it more musical yet detailed and unique sound as it design to be.

If you have a chance, try once.

Aren't the mimimamo pads essentially stockings?
How can you put them inside the dust cover?

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #25,457 of 29,017
Aren't the mimimamo pads essentially stockings?
How can you put them inside the dust cover?

Just put it on dust cover and use finger spread equally.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #25,458 of 29,017
in the fool such as I department:

thought i'd try the beyer t1 gen 2. was getting rid of my lcd-3s due to comfort and a bit of lack of engagement with their soundscape. decided to get smart and sell my hd800 too. they sounded great but i had THE BUG. so i bought me some t1.2 and i bought me a fostex th900 (yet to arrive) and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new pair of HD800 (ver 1)'s will arrive on Wednesday. The T1.2s are gone back tomorrow. I strayed and was fortunate enough to be able to recover by replacing my orig hd800 (perfectly functioning but scratched and broken in by the kid who scratched em. got me in em cheap and i passed em along the same way).  But now i get what i always wished i'd had: a brand new pair, waranteed and waiting for me to "tame" them. 

i am going to apply the SupercalifragilisticDupont Mod, having ordered the physical piece from the originator of the mod. i am going to keep them permenently, i swear (i hear a lotta "ahems" and such).

if i dig the fostex th900 i will keep them also. if not: who knows? i need two cans so that when i have the urge to rock out without the hd800's "true light", i will be able to do so. it could be that i'm bound to return to a trusty pair of grados for that, but i'm hoping that the th900's will be my "fun phone".    

i already feel calmer than i have since shipping my hd800's to Nevada Friday.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #25,459 of 29,017
  in the fool such as I department:

thought i'd try the beyer t1 gen 2. was getting rid of my lcd-3s due to comfort and a bit of lack of engagement with their soundscape. decided to get smart and sell my hd800 too. they sounded great but i had THE BUG. so i bought me some t1.2 and i bought me a fostex th900 (yet to arrive) and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new pair of HD800 (ver 1)'s will arrive on Wednesday. The T1.2s are gone back tomorrow. I strayed and was fortunate enough to be able to recover by replacing my orig hd800 (perfectly functioning but scratched and broken in by the kid who scratched em. got me in em cheap and i passed em along the same way).  But now i get what i always wished i'd had: a brand new pair, waranteed and waiting for me to "tame" them. 

i am going to apply the SupercalifragilisticDupont Mod, having ordered the physical piece from the originator of the mod. i am going to keep them permenently, i swear (i hear a lotta "ahems" and such).

if i dig the fostex th900 i will keep them also. if not: who knows? i need two cans so that when i have the urge to rock out without the hd800's "true light", i will be able to do so. it could be that i'm bound to return to a trusty pair of grados for that, but i'm hoping that the th900's will be my "fun phone".    

i already feel calmer than i have since shipping my hd800's to Nevada Friday.

I was tempted to sell my HD800's at one point, but instead I stuck them in the closet for a few months.  When I eventually took them back out and listened to them, I couldn't believe I ever thought of selling them.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #25,460 of 29,017
I do not dream about another headphones after my HD800 got SDR mod and Draug2 cable, although I have listened Focal Utopia in short time (some songs). With the used price, HD800 is the very good p/p headphones if you love the sound sign.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #25,461 of 29,017
I do not dream about another headphones after my HD800 got SDR mod and Draug2 cable, although I have listened Focal Utopia in short time (some songs). With the used price, HD800 is the very good p/p headphones if you love the sound sign.

So u did not like utopia or hd800 better for the money

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #25,462 of 29,017
So u did not like utopia or hd800 better for the money

Both money and sound. Utopia doesn't not fit for my budget and my taste. I've never said that Utopia sound bad, or HD800 sound better. For measurement, Utopia sound better in many way but I can live with my HD800 because I love their sound-sign :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #25,463 of 29,017
  Both money and sound. Utopia doesn't not fit for my budget and my taste. I've never said that Utopia sound bad, or HD800 sound better. For measurement, Utopia sound better in many way but I can live with my HD800 because I love their sound-sign :)

Thanks for Clarifying. I have seen several people say HD800 still better. I only have Elear not Utopia. Best that I have heard to date is Hfiiman HE6 but sadly I did not keep it for the mods were not applied to my liking. For classical eastern music for my taste nothing including HE6 can match HD800 similar to AKG K812 for some female vocals.

I have been listening to Elears and HE560s these days and then put on my HD800 only to realise that at low volumes Elear or HE560 can not match HD800 for many songs including classic rocks.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #25,464 of 29,017
Hello, I'm new in Head-fi, and in the audio world too. I apologyze because i write this here in a Post, but i couldn't find out how to Post something or make a new thread by my own. (My English is very bad too)
I recently bought  a pair of HE400S and they are very good, but i have seen so much vids about the Sennheiser HD 800's that i'v got very curious to them. Their imaging is very amazing, i would like if anyone here can give me some alternatives to them, cheaper. If there is no headphone near to the HD800 in imaging and clarity.. I am disposed to save Money for the next one and half Year to get them. With an nice Amp of course (I'm thinking about the Chord Mojo or the OPPO hA-2,... are this ok?)
Thank you and Greetings form Switzerland.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #25,465 of 29,017
  Hello, I'm new in Head-fi, and in the audio world too. I apologyze because i write this here in a Post, but i couldn't find out how to Post something or make a new thread by my own. (My English is very bad too)
I recently bought  a pair of HE400S and they are very good, but i have seen so much vids about the Sennheiser HD 800's that i'v got very curious to them. Their imaging is very amazing, i would like if anyone here can give me some alternatives to them, cheaper. If there is no headphone near to the HD800 in imaging and clarity.. I am disposed to save Money for the next one and half Year to get them. With an nice Amp of course (I'm thinking about the Chord Mojo or the OPPO hA-2,... are this ok?)

Hi Sebastian, and welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

No, I don't think you'll find anything cheaper with the HD 800's imaging qualities and resolution. Your best bet would be to look for a used pair. The Mojo is fine for driving it.

Greetings from Zurich

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #25,466 of 29,017

Jumping into $1k of headphones needs a better understanding of sound signature. I've never hear of HE400s personally and I couldn't touch that part. You really to consider your preference. I like my HD800 in many ways. First, stock is the most not fun-sounding ever. It has details, damn wide soundstage, less bass, not to mention peaky 6khz. It is quite dry I would say.

I start to fall in love with this headphone because of the clarity and the imaging. Not because of the bass or the peaky 6khz. After quite sometimes with my HD800, i played around with the EQ, the bass and the peaky 6khz solved. It is really good headphone if u know how to play with it. Not to mention, it is good with the stock and some people like it with stock but I'm not one of them.

If u ever want to jump to this. Go for it, you will be amazed with the clarity and if you didnt like the peaky 6khz and the shy of bass, learn how to eq. It is a night and day difference I would promise! Words I can describe for mycurrent HD800 with this eq: Lush and Detail!

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #25,467 of 29,017
Thank you @twiceboss!!! I'm hell curious about that imaging sound that everybody is telling about, I just read something about the Beyer T1, they said that these had a nice imaging too...  what my you say? (if you heard to them yet of course).
Thank you for saying that something with the dry sound, I already was waiting for it, and i'm happy to know that theres a way to "fix" it with an EQ.
I'm very excited that guy like you with so experience and Knowledge are teaching me a bit of this big and amazing world of the Sound.
Thank you Again !! (I'm very happy)

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #25,468 of 29,017
Hello @JaZZ Thank you for answering my Weird and Newbie Question. I'm happy very happy to know that i'm not the only one sound lover in Switzerland.( Im Originally From Mexico but i live here since the last year). Would the Oppo Ha-2 not be enough for the HD 800? 
Thank yoooouu! L.G.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #25,469 of 29,017
Got a new cable, DHC molecule pure copper.  Very welcome improvement over the stock cable.  Slightly less air, but better everything else,  The stock cable is decent, but it's a pretty obvious bottleneck for this headphone for me.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #25,470 of 29,017
  Hello @JaZZ Thank you for answering my Weird and Newbie Question. I'm happy very happy to know that i'm not the only one sound lover in Switzerland.( Im Originally From Mexico but i live here since the last year). Would the Oppo Ha-2 not be enough for the HD 800? 
Thank yoooouu! L.G.

Sorry, I have no idea. I'm a Chord guy anyway (for good reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back