The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #25,411 of 29,013
What's a closed set that emulates the HD800S the best? I have been rotating closed sets, not satisfied so far. Really miss he amazing soundstage. But at work I can't use an open set. Slight sound leaking is fine as I have a private office, but at normal listening level the H800S can be heard from outside the office so not an option. Source will be Chord Mojo, or something similar.. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #25,412 of 29,013
I wouldn't worry about bass issues on HD 800. It's exceptional for any and every genre. For me it outclassed LCD-2, LCD-3, HE-500, and HE-6.

I would be far more worried about fatigue in long term listening sessions. Sonarworks or manual EQing the HD 800 can fix this.

Really3 preference. I'm good with its bass but sometimes i want more. Also the sibilant part, some tracks have that issue.

Will be saving my money for z1r!

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #25,413 of 29,013
I have a question about HD800: did anyone find one for sale with 'mockup' drivers? I found someone selling a 'chassis' with everything included but drivers. Compared it with an original working pair and they look identical, including the cable.

Actually drivers are included but are empty inside (only the back cover and grill are present) AND they are not soldered to anything - no wires between the driver connectors and input jack. Seller says I can buy drivers and install them and it will work. 

Was wondering how could a normally looking headset (very few signs of wear and tear) ending up with empty drivers and if it's safe to buy them and order drivers for them (found some suppliers, total price, including chassis and 2 new drivers would be less than 700 eur).

PS: sorry to ask here but I'm a new member and cannot yet open a new thread.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #25,414 of 29,013
Really3 preference. I'm good with its bass but sometimes i want more. Also the sibilant part, some tracks have that issue.

Will be saving my money for z1r!

Check out LCD-2 in that case. My favourite pleasing headphones.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #25,415 of 29,013
  I have a question about HD800: did anyone find one for sale with 'mockup' drivers? I found someone selling a 'chassis' with everything included but drivers. Compared it with an original working pair and they look identical, including the cable.

Actually drivers are included but are empty inside (only the back cover and grill are present) AND they are not soldered to anything - no wires between the driver connectors and input jack. Seller says I can buy drivers and install them and it will work. 

Was wondering how could a normally looking headset (very few signs of wear and tear) ending up with empty drivers and if it's safe to buy them and order drivers for them (found some suppliers, total price, including chassis and 2 new drivers would be less than 700 eur).

PS: sorry to ask here but I'm a new member and cannot yet open a new thread.

I don't think you could buy a pair of HD800 drivers. Could also be that the guy used his HD800 drivers for some DIY haedphones or something. Don't know what else this 'someone' was up to but it'll be a looot better if you just buy a used pair of HD800 in complete and working condition.

To be honest I'm pretty interested in this 'chassis' you're talking about since I might need just the left slider for my HD800 since mine has become loose. Care to share the link?

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #25,416 of 29,013
I would share a link but cannot post links yet (new member :)) and you would not see anything special in the photo.

It looks and feels (tried them on the head)exactly like the HD800 (a headset and a cable, no box) except that the drivers are empty and the seller specified that.

I can order full capsules from UK, at about 200 pounds/capsule. (google 'hd800 capsule audiosanctuary')

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #25,417 of 29,013
  I would share a link but cannot post links yet (new member :)) and you would not see anything special in the photo.

It looks and feels (tried them on the head)exactly like the HD800 (a headset and a cable, no box) except that the drivers are empty and the seller specified that.

I can order full capsules from UK, at about 200 pounds/capsule. (google 'hd800 capsule audiosanctuary')

HD800 drivers are matched at the factory.  I can't imagine why anyone would buy just one (as it would be a random driver).  Order 2 is just as bad...  I would imagine the drivers on the site you are referencing are either B stock or came from somewhere even worse...

They are not listed on Sennheiser's site as a dealer.

I know you are trying to save a few bucks, but stop.  Just buy a used pair that is complete from the factory.  If you can't afford them, have a little restraint and save up: it will be a good life lesson.  

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #25,418 of 29,013
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #25,419 of 29,013
Does anybody use HD 800 with Deckard? If yes, are they a good match?

A little worried about power (Deckard is rated 279 mW at 300 Ohms), but I have read good reviews on matching tonality and character.

And how would they compare with Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo?

Or Valhalla 2 / Bifrost combo?

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #25,420 of 29,013
Does anybody use HD 800 with Deckard? If yes, are they a good match?

A little worried about power (Deckard is rated 279 mW at 300 Ohms), but I have read good reviews on matching tonality and character.

And how would they compare with Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo?

Or Valhalla 2 / Bifrost combo?

Thats the amp I demoed my hd800s with, and bought it after 30 mins. Nice and smooth, didn't go past 12 o clock. Be warned though mine are hd800s, which has a slightly warmer sound signature.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #25,421 of 29,013
Lcd2 must heavy. Would be something bad...

At the time I had them, I didn't enjoy their headband because of the bumps, which was overcome with a foam strap for $15. The earpads were comfortable on both LCDs. The weight was not too bad because of how it fit. HE-500 for example was more annoying. It might be worth a try based on the sound alone since you love the mids. Mine was pre-fazor. Although, if you audition them, 2 things:

1) Make sure you have adequate and decent power. Both quality and quantity really helped open up things

2) It seems kind of boring at first. Once you get used to them, other headphones might seem more energetic. Also, did you try Sonarworks or other EQ methods for the HD 800 yet?

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #25,422 of 29,013
I realize that there is some opacity about whether we should refer to a pair of headphones in the singular or plural. When naming conventions tack the letter S onto the end of a model name that also exists without it, this is the perfect storm for misinformation. 

"I like my HD800s." Does one mean one's HD800? Or does one mean one's HD800S? The only satisfying conclusion I can reach as a grammarian is to refer to every headphone resolutely in the singular. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #25,423 of 29,013
  I realize that there is some opacity about whether we should refer to a pair of headphones in the singular or plural. When naming conventions tack the letter S onto the end of a model name that also exists without it, this is the perfect storm for misinformation. 

"I like my HD800s." Does one mean one's HD800? Or does one mean one's HD800S? The only satisfying conclusion I can reach as a grammarian is to refer to every headphone resolutely in the singular. 

If I need to refer to the newer HD 800, this is how I do it: the 'S' should be capital and with a space after 800. It should appear like: HD 800 S.

If everyone did that, it would certainly help going through previous comments without having to question the ambiguity every few seconds.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #25,424 of 29,013

HD800 drivers are matched at the factory.  I can't imagine why anyone would buy just one (as it would be a random driver).  Order 2 is just as bad...  I would imagine the drivers on the site you are referencing are either B stock or came from somewhere even worse...

They are not listed on Sennheiser's site as a dealer.

I know you are trying to save a few bucks, but stop.  Just buy a used pair that is complete from the factory.  If you can't afford them, have a little restraint and save up: it will be a good life lesson.  

Well, you can't really save money with this hobby (neither with photography :D )... I did a lot of research last night and ended up deciding to buy a new pair, as I originally intended. Now the question is HD800 or HD800s? Need to dig some more.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #25,425 of 29,013
At the time I had them, I didn't enjoy their headband because of the bumps, which was overcome with a foam strap for $15. The earpads were comfortable on both LCDs. The weight was not too bad because of how it fit. HE-500 for example was more annoying. It might be worth a try based on the sound alone since you love the mids. Mine was pre-fazor. Although, if you audition them, 2 things:

1) Make sure you have adequate and decent power. Both quality and quantity really helped open up things

2) It seems kind of boring at first. Once you get used to them, other headphones might seem more energetic. Also, did you try Sonarworks or other EQ methods for the HD 800 yet?

Attemptedmany times but always crash.
Can you gimme a step by step for that? Seems like so complicated with DAW etc :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back