The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #25,336 of 28,991
  Which mods are recommended today, if I just want to make it closer to 800S, and don't want to test everything?

SuperDupont Resonator + Dust Covers removed, that's it?

Just recently I've simply kept my Anax mod and used my HD650 sponge dust cover. I will have to say this has been a pleasant mod for me.

Not sure what you use for amplification but when I add my Stello U3 usb/spdif converter to my Burson Virtuoso it really smooths out the HD800. I've even tested my old jds 02 amp, stello u3, Burson dac with Grant fidelity tube buffer and it's surprised me in how it tames the HD800. 

SuperDupont seems like a nice mod if your willing to roll the adhesive covers off your HD800.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #25,339 of 28,991
I love my new Norne Audio Draug 2 balanced cable. Well matched to both amp and headphone, too!

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #25,340 of 28,991
I just installed superdupont mode but using comply large tips. Will it count? i feel the slight different though. Some said Shure will be better tips for the superdupont

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #25,341 of 28,991
  I just installed superdupont mode but using comply large tips. Will it count? i feel the slight different though. Some said Shure will be better tips for the superdupont

Tips?  Like tips from IEM's?  The SDR is quite a bit more complicated than just a piece of foam...  The real thing isn't expensive and you can them directly from @Sorrodje

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #25,342 of 28,991

Tips?  Like tips from IEM's?  The SDR is quite a bit more complicated than just a piece of foam...  The real thing isn't expensive and you can them directly from @Sorrodje

Would love to have the original one. But im lazy to make one. Will @Sorrodje  sell it? :D

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #25,343 of 28,991
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #25,345 of 28,991
Feb 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #25,346 of 28,991

Just recently I've simply kept my Anax mod and used my HD650 sponge dust cover. I will have to say this has been a pleasant mod for me.

Not sure what you use for amplification but when I add my Stello U3 usb/spdif converter to my Burson Virtuoso it really smooths out the HD800. I've even tested my old jds 02 amp, stello u3, Burson dac with Grant fidelity tube buffer and it's surprised me in how it tames the HD800. 

SuperDupont seems like a nice mod if your willing to roll the adhesive covers off your HD800.

My AMP/DAC is really not up to HD800 level (Yulong U100), I will upgrade both later, but at least it can drive it for now. I got this used at a good price (with Cardas cable).

Home theater project is also taking my money and time.

Ok, I have to investigate every current mod and their variants, and choose/try to make ones that sound good (on paper) for me.

SuperDupont seems pretty easy after Denon mods with Dynamat (god I hate that stuff) etc.

My Dust covers are still there. No need to remove them if you don't want to. 

Ok, good to know. Seems they are often removed with cork and rug mods though, and some even said that toilet paper sounds better. :p

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #25,347 of 28,991
  My AMP/DAC is really not up to HD800 level (Yulong U100), I will upgrade both later, but at least it can drive it for now. I got this used at a good price (with Cardas cable).

Home theater project is also taking my money and time.

Ok, I have to investigate every current mod and their variants, and choose/try to make ones that sound good (on paper) for me.

SuperDupont seems pretty easy after Denon mods with Dynamat (god I hate that stuff) etc.
Ok, good to know. Seems they are often removed with cork and rug mods though, and some even said that toilet paper sounds better. :p

Everyone has some form of money pit :)

The HD800 for me is a nice alternative to my home hifi stereo setup.  I have substantially more in my Blue Circle power conditioning than all of my headphone gear combined. 
However my stereo still sounds substantially better than my HD800/HD650 with Tube dac, Burson viruoso combo. 2 channel to me is holographic and truly feels like your deep into the music with a real sense of layers. Just like anything subjective ears and financial "justification"of cost of gear is rampant in all of these forums LOL!!! I do find in audio it's not always a matter of cost $$$$ of gear......combination of different sound characteristics of each component in the gear combo. 

For example an HD650 can probably tolerate a faster paced dac like the Concero HD. It adds more soundstage to the HD650 too. However the HD800 with Concero HD was one of the worst DACs to use with an HD800 making the music sound less engaging, hyper detailed and shrilled till my ears bled.  

So far my ears appreciate tube gear for engaging vocals. Some prefer hyper details listening to solid state. I'll admit the $$$ dacs can potentially sound more analog.  This is where everyone has a preference.......

Have fun with the home theater setup :)  My HT setup has been one of the most enjoyable audio setups I've ever spent $$$ on.  

Impress your ears and enjoy your gear! 

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #25,348 of 28,991
Nice combo I tried raga dac r with sennheiser hdva 600 amp , none drug 2 balanced to sennheiser hd800. This combo tames the hd800 well without losing anything .

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #25,350 of 28,991
So I went to the Sennheiser shop in NY and did an A/B demo of the HD800 Vs the HD800S using the Hdvd800 amp.

Using my favorite reference album (Natalie Merchant Tigerlily), I found the HD800 to consistently outperform the HD800S... Specifically, the HD800 highs sounded "live" and exciting while the HD800S were more subdued and dare I say pedestrian in treble.

The HD800S also seemed to have more congested bass than the HD800.

I wonder if this is due to amp mismatch with the HD800S or if I just prefer the HD800 sound? For the record, I prefer the HD700 sound over the HD600 sound with the right amp (using parasound zdac v2 to drive the hd700 currently.)

Thoughts? My only concern is that the HD800 bass might not be enough for electronic music but I was unable to test this. I have heard some say the HD800 has cleaner bass but less of it compared to the HD700 - is this accurate or just an amp issue? I am very satisfied with HD700 bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back