The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #23,026 of 29,010
+1 for Sonarworks. Granted I've only tried the HD650 on the software, but it improves the 650's sound balance by a huge amount.

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #23,027 of 29,010
Yeah the HD800 + Sonarworks is audio bliss and you can fine tune it any way you like so easily.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #23,028 of 29,010
And there are 2 different compensation curves available for the 800's and the 650's.
One has no limits in terms of the bandwidth, while the other cuts off the very bottom end and 'softens' the very top end.

I prefer the no limits curves myself.

JJ

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #23,029 of 29,010
  And there are 2 different compensation curves available for the 800's and the 650's.
One has no limits in terms of the bandwidth, while the other cuts off the very bottom end and 'softens' the very top end.

I prefer the no limits curves myself.

JJ

Is that the 'B' profile that was posted on this forum? Taken from a single headphone. 

Regarding your previous post - I assumed people would be using only Sonarworks in the audio chain, but of course yes, there could be any number of plugins placed before it in the processing chain.

I do that with audio production, and do as you said before, set the output clip manually to about -2dB :¬)

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #23,030 of 29,010
The no limits curve is the standard averaged curve, but with the 'additional' bottom and top end compensation removed.

JJ

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #23,032 of 29,010
Hello everyone, I have a dx80 to chord mojo... And a he 400i. I'm coming from. A se846 which had (to me great clarity) 400i lacks clarity

Everyone recommends me hd800. Is my Mojo worthy of powering this hd800 out? I listen to a lot of electronic music (minimal) and downtempo , also classic rock, and pop from all ages. Truly to me Soundstage isn't a big thing. Expecially for electronic music

Does hd800 force Soundstage on every track

Please guide me the right way.

Financially all I can do is save $ and sell the he 400i and get a used hd800

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #23,033 of 29,010
Hello everyone, I have a dx80 to chord mojo... And a he 400i. I'm coming from. A se846 which had (to me great clarity) 400i lacks clarity

Everyone recommends me hd800. Is my Mojo worthy of powering this hd800 out? I listen to a lot of electronic music (minimal) and downtempo , also classic rock, and pop from all ages. Truly to me Soundstage isn't a big thing. Expecially for electronic music

Do yourself a favor and don't go the HD800 route.  The music that you listen to does not sound exceptional with the HD800 regardless of equipment that you throw at it.
Something like an LCD-X may work wonderfully, and it's easy to drive.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #23,034 of 29,010

Can you share the name of a few of your preferred songs for reference?

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #23,035 of 29,010
Yes definitely, thank you for taking the time to try to help me, I truly appreciate your help

Pop.
Most of Michael Jackson I love
A select few of modern day pop, sia chandelier for example on vocals.
Chris Brown in general as far as modern vocals.

Electronic

Mostly minimal, downtempo.

Jurgen paape (triumph)

Petit biscuit (sunset lover)

Les djings (soundsystem)

Dominique eulberg (lottusefekt)

Certain tiesto (mid 2000s era)

Other stuff

Fleetwood Mac, most songs
Dire, money for nothing
Prince. Most 80s songs

Rap
Certain Eminem here and there,

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #23,036 of 29,010
Yes definitely, thank you for taking the time to try to help me, I truly appreciate your help

Pop.
Most of Michael Jackson I love
A select few of modern day pop, sia chandelier for example on vocals.
Chris Brown in general as far as modern vocals.

Electronic

Mostly minimal, downtempo.

Jurgen paape (triumph)

Petit biscuit (sunset lover)

Les djings (soundsystem)

Dominique eulberg (lottusefekt)

Certain tiesto (mid 2000s era)

Other stuff

Fleetwood Mac, most songs
Dire, money for nothing
Prince. Most 80s songs

Rap
Certain Eminem here and there,

The HD800 is overly bright and analytical for most modern pop recordings, and bass light for the listed electronic and rap. It will be ok for your 'other stuff' but just ok.
You should consider the Audeze LCD-2 and the Focal Elear instead.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #23,037 of 29,010

The HD800 is overly bright and analytical for most modern pop recordings, and bass light for the listed electronic and rap. It will be ok for your 'other stuff' but just ok.

agreed...
but with EQ, hd800 will give lcd 2 bass type and with better mids and treble and soundstage and details. Only with eq though. if you dont plan on equing or modyfying it, for pop, rap and electronica they are not the ebst in stock form

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #23,038 of 29,010
Based on the recent discussions about Sonarworks, I installed the trial yesterday (using JRiver). Bought it today.

The flat curve does EVERYTHING I wanted improved on my HD800!

Better bass weight.........check
Smooth mids.........check
Some correction of harshness with poor recordings....check
Maintains soundstage, decay, and instrument separation.....check

Anyone thinking about using Sonarworks, I highly recommend it. It's easy to set up and A/B results.

Just tried it with my AT-M50x and it does wonders for those too.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #23,039 of 29,010
Yeah I'd recommend Fostex TH900 or the new mass drop thing, perhaps the HD650, LCD-2 or X/C (I can confirm LCD-4 is sublime). However, the Hifiman HE-400i is a highly competitive product; I question the wisdom of upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Your inquiry would be better posed with a clear budget for transducer, as well as an indication of whether you plan to upgrade dac and amp.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #23,040 of 29,010

That's all true until you get Sonarworks Reference 3.

If you own the HD800, you positively must use it. Transforms them. I use that combination for music production when not on speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back