The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #23,011 of 29,017
At first I thought it was a "Saturday Nite Live" skit. Gotta" give him credit for his enthusiasm and snappy delivery. I wasn't able to tell if his tongue was firmly pinned to his cheek or not. State of the art Head Phones but a low res TT. C'mon, a SOTA with vacuum to pull that Black Sabbath LP down flat would have saved that phono stylus from having to do the wave with every revolution!

First good laugh of the day for me, a positive start for the rest of today.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #23,012 of 29,017
Well, cable and HD800 came today. Except instead of the Hd800 this was in the box

The cable looks great, no idea how it sounds. Boxed up the gamer headset up and sent it back. They should have my Hd800 to me by Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm out of town until Thursday.

Eh, such is life. Sent back my Hd800 loaner yesterday, so now I have to slum it with the He400i and thx00. How will I live?

dang dude, you took that extremely well. I guess that's why you were able to get far enough in life to afford HD800s. If it happened to me i would have blown up on the internet, screamed in my parent's voice mail, told everybody i knew that my life was hell and i was going to commit suicide, and ended the day in the psych ward again. 

You are an inspiration to me! cus you show that you can calm down and breathe, let it go and be patient and find a solution rather than go crazy and end up costing yourself much more than a thousand dollar headphone <3 

but then again i wonder maybe the world is my hell and its just showing me you to make me more miserable as a way of taunting me.... *sigh* i think i should go lay down again.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #23,013 of 29,017

dang dude, you took that extremely well. I guess that's why you were able to get far enough in life to afford HD800s. If it happened to me i would have blown up on the internet, screamed in my parent's voice mail, told everybody i knew that my life was hell and i was going to commit suicide, and ended the day in the psych ward again. 

You are an inspiration to me! cus you show that you can calm down and breathe, let it go and be patient and find a solution rather than go crazy and end up costing yourself much more than a thousand dollar headphone <3 

but then again i wonder maybe the world is my hell and its just showing me you to make me more miserable as a way of taunting me.... *sigh* i think i should go lay down again.

The older you get, the less this bothers you, and sadly, the more you just expect incompetence.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #23,015 of 29,017

I just refuse to let stuff like this impact my happiness.  There are much bigger things in the world than a tiny bit more resolution in a dynamic headphone.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #23,016 of 29,017

I just refuse to let stuff like this impact my happiness.  There are much bigger things in the world than a tiny bit more resolution in a dynamic headphone.

I am not sure about that 
beyersmile.png

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #23,017 of 29,017
Jul 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #23,018 of 29,017

I detect 1 big implied contradiction in your statement. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #23,019 of 29,017
Just in case some HD800 owners have missed this before, this is a must have:

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

Calibration software for pro audio. Seriously good, no HW mods needed.

You can use an application (OSX) called Audio Hijack to output all system (or specific application) audio through it.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #23,020 of 29,017
  Just in case some HD800 owners have missed this before, this is a must have:

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

Calibration software for pro audio. Seriously good, no HW mods needed.

You can use an application (OSX) called Audio Hijack to output all system (or specific application) audio through it.

I'm religiously against any kind of EQ-ing, but it seems that everyone is crazy about SonarWorks and HD800 so I think I should'a give it a go!

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #23,021 of 29,017
Well, cable and HD800 came today. Except instead of the Hd800 this was in the box

The cable looks great, no idea how it sounds. Boxed up the gamer headset up and sent it back. They should have my Hd800 to me by Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm out of town until Thursday.

Eh, such is life. Sent back my Hd800 loaner yesterday, so now I have to slum it with the He400i and thx00. How will I live?

How will you live??? Can you imagine the look of the guy's face that ordered that headphone and instead received a pair of HD800? He must be going ballistic like Beztis (sorry Beztis, I just had to throw you in there because it fit the situation so well, lol). He had been waiting anxiously for his gamer headphones and then receives this in the mail. I bet he would send them back immediately and blast the company for sending him such 'Princess Leia" filth. Oh wait, he might be into that Star Wars stuff so maybe he won't take it too hard and fantasize/cross-dress with them for a bit first before returning them.

Okaaaaaayyyyy... back to my still favourite headphone (even after trying out the HD800S for a short while)...

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #23,022 of 29,017

I'm religiously against any kind of EQ-ing, but it seems that everyone is crazy about SonarWorks and HD800 so I think I should'a give it a go!

I was too, until I built a production studio. Even with top end monitors and room treatment, using sonarworks with the speakers was a revelation. I tried the HD800 and was sold instantly.

There's a wet/dry mix knob too, so you can fine tune the amount of EQ that's applied.

It's vital that you enable the Avoid Clipping option, otherwise you'll get distortion.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #23,023 of 29,017

I was too, until I built a production studio. Even with top end monitors and room treatment, using sonarworks with the speakers was a revelation. I tried the HD800 and was sold instantly.

There's a wet/dry mix knob too, so you can fine tune the amount of EQ that's applied.

It's vital that you enable the Avoid Clipping option, otherwise you'll get distortion.

An alternative to using the "Avoid Clipping option" is to set the amount to say -6dB and not use this feature.
I found it was a little excessive in its attempts to deal with clipping.
And pay attention to the input overload 'leds' as well, as they need a different solution than the built in output clip control.

I discussed this in a post a ways back.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/210#post_12300653

JJ

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #23,024 of 29,017
  An alternative to using the "Avoid Clipping option" is to set the amount to say -6dB and not use this feature.
I found it was a little excessive in its attempts to deal with clipping.
And pay attention to the input overload 'leds' as well, as they need a different solution than the built in output clip control.

I discussed this in a post a ways back.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/210#post_12300653

JJ

The auto clipping amount depends on how much the EQ has been pushed. On my HD800 it automatically hits -8.1dB, on my reference speaker setup it will go to -6.8dB. I can't really see the need to set it manually below that, as the 1-2dB difference is a negligible compensational increase of volume. Especially in a production environment, not worth the risk! :¬)

Why would your input be clipping? 

Jul 9, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #23,025 of 29,017
Much depends upon what other processes are being used in DSP and in what sequence.

Mostly if the input to the sonarworks is already clipped (as evidenced by the clip leds) then that needs to be dealt with BEFORE the output should be reduced.

As for using the automatic setting, what I have seen are up to 20dB reduction, which is WAY to much.

So if 8 or 10dB is enough then use that.
But if a BIG transient is sent to the plugin, the automatic clip function will respond accordingly, which can sometimes be over the top.

AND using a fixed reduction means the entire signal processing chain becomes much more consistent.

Just a few thoughts.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back