The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #22,996 of 29,017
Thks. I'm interested in your thoughts . i'm doing the same comparison ( HD800SD vs LCD-X 2016 drivers) currently :) 

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #22,997 of 29,017
I'll post more tonight if I get some time before I travel.  Otherwise will be exploring more when I have time starting this coming weekend. I'll be interested to see how the different kinesthetic experiences play out over time.  Short of HP's being strikingly uncomfortable I've always had the sense that it was the sound, the sound, the sound in a way that wasn't dependent on the overall design details. Something new has been woven in with 800's for me that seems structural but inseparable from the sonic characteristics.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #22,998 of 29,017
Another first impression as they always seem important.  There seems to be a cooler silence/space between notes and  instruments in the HD800's, where the LCD-X's have a warmer, softer silence.  They SQ strike me as just as distinct and resonant, but richer.  I don't think I am saying anything new when I think of the impressions I've read of both HPs.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #22,999 of 29,017
cus YOLO i'm gonna try the HD800s again, i hear that they tend to sound sharp only if u don't drive them properly, so gonna do it up with the warmest thing - my LDMK3 OTL tube amp, with 1962 Mullard m8100s :D

also if that ends up being too sharp, would an EQ like this be ideal? or what? cus i saw a bunch of EQ threads, with all kinds of crazy software that make me so confused, i rather just use the EQ in Foobar....should i do something like this if the hd800 is too sharp even with the mk3?

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #23,000 of 29,017
  Where did I blame the HD-800 for a bad DAC?  My mention of the O2 does not include the ODAC, I would have stated it as ODAC/O2 if I wanted to mention the ODAC.

FWIW I also have a Bimby, its ok but I prefer the UD-301, a little more dynamic sounding DAC with the added benefit of a amp section that seems to pair well with my EL8, Grados and Grado like builds (SennGrado, Magnum and soon Ypsilon driver)

Misread your OP, apologies. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #23,001 of 29,017
cus YOLO i'm gonna try the HD800s again, i hear that they tend to sound sharp only if u don't drive them properly, so gonna do it up with the warmest thing - my LDMK3 OTL tube amp, with 1962 Mullard m8100s :D

also if that ends up being too sharp, would an EQ like this be ideal? or what? cus i saw a bunch of EQ threads, with all kinds of crazy software that make me so confused, i rather just use the EQ in Foobar....should i do something like this if the hd800 is too sharp even with the mk3?

You really only need to dip 5khz and 7khz.

Yes. Proper amp and DAC will really help get the job done. The HD800 is so revealing, you can hear just about everything in your chain. I switched power conditioners recently and, while it shouldn't have been that stark of a difference, it totally was. Same with other stuff like RCAs and USBs - changes I'd never notice on another HP actually make an audible difference on the HD800. It's freakin' impressive!

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #23,002 of 29,017

Here you have the frequency response of my Sennheiser HD800 (sn. 22xxx) for reference.

The dip between 2kHz and 5kHz is a good thing most of the times.
It makes the sound less intrusive, less shouty and more speaker like.

The peak centered at 5800Hz is a bit too high and it's the main cause of HD800's love/hate nature.
A parametric equalizer should be used to address the peak precisely.

The peak over 10kHz is not that relevant and it's dependent on the measuring techniques.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #23,003 of 29,017
Well, cable and HD800 came today. Except instead of the Hd800 this was in the box

The cable looks great, no idea how it sounds. Boxed up the gamer headset up and sent it back. They should have my Hd800 to me by Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm out of town until Thursday.

Eh, such is life. Sent back my Hd800 loaner yesterday, so now I have to slum it with the He400i and thx00. How will I live?

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #23,004 of 29,017
eek.gif
... you are not kidding, right?
I hope you are not being had with the purchase of the HD800 and you will get what you paid for or was the offer too good to be true?

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #23,005 of 29,017
:eek: ... you are not kidding, right?
I hope you are not being had with the purchase of the HD800 and you will get what you paid for or was the offer too good to be true?

It's a pretty large/reputable seller. Sometimes with big warehouses stuff gets mixed up. At *this* point it's not a big deal to me. There's also a chance that if they don't have the like new in the box unit I ordered, I'll get a sealed new unit for the like new in the box price. If they pull funny business they'll get hit with an Amex chargeback and Amazon can revoke their seller privileges which given their size I don't think they want to mess with.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #23,006 of 29,017
It's a pretty large/reputable seller. Sometimes with big warehouses stuff gets mixed up. At *this* point it's not a big deal to me. There's also a chance that if they don't have the like new in the box unit I ordered, I'll get a sealed new unit for the like new in the box price. If they pull funny business they'll get hit with an Amex chargeback and Amazon can revoke their seller privileges which given their size I don't think they want to mess with.

I've gotten mixed up orders from Amazon in the pass and it was corrected really quickly, for some companies their Amazon affiliation is very important so they really try to keep customers happy.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #23,007 of 29,017

Sorry to hear this. Hope you'll get your HD 800 soon! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #23,010 of 29,017
That combination for a Black Sabbath album is on par with Miles Davies through a pair of ultrasones.

The backwards baseball hat probably enhances the sound even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back