The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #22,246 of 28,989
Strange question. Yesterday I retrieved the HD 800 from the sennheiser box where it has been stored for some listening. But now it is kinda smelly. I think it's the earpads. I tried to clean it with water but it still smells.

Any idea on what to do next? Can the earpads be thrown in the washing machine safely?

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #22,247 of 28,989
Any idea on what to do next? Can the earpads be thrown in the washing machine safely?

Hell NO!

Just let it air out a few days.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #22,249 of 28,989

Wouldn't that amount of force cave the screen in the center of the earcup?

Nope, if you look at the HD800, the black plastic around the metal mesh is what provides the structural strength. It will not bend, and is very strong stuff, Leona plastic If I recall correctly. I too feared breaking my HD800s initially, but Sennheiser clearly made this headphone to last, as they do with most of their higher end models.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #22,250 of 28,989
A properly amped and EQd HD800 is something to behold...

I whole heartedly agree…

There's a reason stuff like Harman Curve exist. Just sayin.
And while the bass can be spectacular, when it is properly coupled with the mids and up the results can be sublime.

JJ

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #22,252 of 28,989
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker of head-fi for about a year now. 

I just got my HD800's yesterday and am currently seeing how they do on a Schiit Lyr 2. I do agree with most people that the 6-7k frequency spike is quite fatiguing on some recordings and music types. Thinking about modding them..

Right now I only have a Modi 2U -> Lyr 2 / Magni 2 setup so I'm trying to decide if I really need a new amp (something along the lines of the Vioelectric V200) for the HD800s or not.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #22,253 of 28,989
  Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker of head-fi for about a year now. 

I just got my HD800's yesterday and am currently seeing how they do on a Schiit Lyr 2. I do agree with most people that the 6-7k frequency spike is quite fatiguing on some recordings and music types. Thinking about modding them..

Right now I only have a Modi 2U -> Lyr 2 / Magni 2 setup so I'm trying to decide if I really need a new amp (something along the lines of the Vioelectric V200) for the HD800s or not.

Welcome to Head-Fi kavasc.

According to many Violectric / Lake People afficianados the V200 is a nice match up for the HD-800.  Seems to offer a good value in terms of a price / performance ratio.

As you are probably aware the 800 responds well to proper amplification, in some cases helping to tame those highs by bringing the bass more forward.  Better amplification offers the HD-800 the ability to breath and spread its wings so to speak.  The Anax mod is well worth looking into.

Surely others will chime in with more suggestions and perspectives ...... have fun
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #22,254 of 28,989

Welcome to Head-Fi kavasc.

According to many Violectric / Lake People afficianados the V200 is a nice match up for the HD-800.  Seems to offer a good value in terms of a price / performance ratio.

As you are probably aware the 800 responds well to proper amplification, in some cases helping to tame those highs by bringing the bass more forward.  Better amplification offers the HD-800 the ability to breath and spread its wings so to speak.  The Anax mod is well worth looking into.

Surely others will chime in with more suggestions and perspectives ...... have fun
biggrin.gif

Thanks! I am considering the V200 but I couldn't buy it right now after just having bought the HD800. Hopefully I can upgrade down the road, but at the moment I am really enjoying them with the Lyr 2. I have seen the Anax mod and I will probably end up doing that, just to see how it effects things.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #22,255 of 28,989
Can you please put your bass perception of the HD 800 into perspective with for example the LCD 2.2 or the HE 560?
I'm afraid I can't since I have neither, nor have spent any time with those cans.

I have heard the HE1Ks and LCDx's though.
And on my system in a back to back comparison.

Both of those planar cans have plenty of impact and bass response but in comparison lack, definition, inner details, and subsonic bass extension of the very bottom end.

Also the planars are more polite and smooth, but again are missing those inner details and the full range of the harmonic over and undertones in the midrange (and up) as well.

So if your goal is for enjoyable and smooth sonic traits vs hearing all of those micro-details and intonations, those planars will serve up a very pleasing acoustic presentation.

But I've become accustomed to hearing those subtle nuances in the music and miss them when they are lacking.

JJ

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #22,256 of 28,989
  I wondered how good / strong the bass can be when EQed?

My heavily modded HE 560 is my current weapon of choice and as my memory serves right the HD 800 had a larger soundstage, better sound separation and clearer mids but little to no bass.

I think my complaint was of the HE-6, and the answer is quite good, though I'm still on the fence about the vegan pads.

HD800's bass can be improved, though it will never be planar bass; all told, I prefer HD800 for most classical and orchestral recordings, especially given my inadequate amping, but HE-6 is better for most everything else.

I too had a horrible time replacing my ear pads last summer on the HD800—the trick as far as I can tell is to get three or four hands pulling the plastic part of the ear pad toward headphone frame at the same time. My issue was it seemed to 'click' in in one or two places, but not all 3-4 necessary to latch. With some dedication, though, it worked. I would replace the ear pads when they come to the end of their life. I replaced mine when I bought mine used and they had an incredible improvement on the sound.

Magni and Lyr are both less than ideal for HD800—Vali and Valhalla are what you want, though Lyr is surely finer than Magni. Get Bifrost when you can :) 

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #22,257 of 28,989
Great impressions guys, thanks!

In my memory the HD 800 has incredible detail and separation of all the sounds.
There is this song "KAASI - Those Days" in particular were you can constantly hear rain sounds in the background (back of the head slightly to the left).
With my HE 560 I can only ever so slightly hear it, whereas with the HD 800 the sound was always present and had a clear place in the headroom.

I came to love the HE 560 for its more laid back sound, but somehow miss this detail.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #22,259 of 28,989
It's not as clear as Mjolnir, Phonitor, Ragnarok, WA5, etc., but despite a slightly smeared sound it has a truly beautiful tone. In terms of value it's a no-brainer.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #22,260 of 28,989
I don't think the V200 should be considered with the HD800 at all. You loose a bit of top end detail, air, and the soundstage is a bit smaller. The tone is warmer overall, but I can't get over the lack of ultra fine detail that the V200 is missing. After using the Phonitor Mini and switching to the V200, I can tell a lot of smaller details are lost and the resolution of the amp is lacking. The sound is a bit more congested. Bass looses some tightness and definition as well as some of it's texturing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back