The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,026 of 28,989
Quote:
I am interested on Metrum for a long time, partly because of the looks, but I've been hearing bass and hf frequency roll off. What is your impression?

The Metrum is one of the least colored and most neutral DAC's I've heard to date. It is not a dark sounding DAC, but neither is it a bright sounding one. It has exceptional transparency but may sound dry (especially if you're already using a headphone like the HD800), so I like to warm it up and give it some more body in bass by pairing it with April Music's Stello U3. IMO, most April Music gears I've listened to tend to sound somewhat dark, which is why I like them.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,028 of 28,989
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know whether the NFB 11.32 is an adequate amp/dac for the HD 800? Anyone used the NFB 11.32 with the HD 800 before?

Thanks.

The Audio gd line tend to have a tilt towards warmth and musicality rather than being analytical and dry. My C2.2 amp is a fine match with the HD800's. Large soundstage and no hardness in the treble. I say go for it :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,030 of 28,989
No, just no.  The Meturm has no rolloff.  Where the Metrum and PWD2 really smoked the W4S was in top extension and tonal balance.  The W4S is a dark source dry source, the Metrum has great tonal balance and the PWD2 keeps that balance but is also butter smooth.  Which might be what MH feels is an overriding colour where I just hear it as completely etch free, the so called analog sound.  And yes it is a monster =)

Not do much as smooth, but warmish/sweet. Inviting for sure, but not as transparent (and Fwiw, I found the pwd2 a bit darker and a whole lot bigger physically too). :)

EDIT: I don't think I've ever heard a dark ES9018 based DAC as dark.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,031 of 28,989
Quote:
Quote:
No, just no.  The Meturm has no rolloff.  Where the Metrum and PWD2 really smoked the W4S was in top extension and tonal balance.  The W4S is a dark source dry source, the Metrum has great tonal balance and the PWD2 keeps that balance but is also butter smooth.  Which might be what MH feels is an overriding colour where I just hear it as completely etch free, the so called analog sound.  And yes it is a monster =)

Not do much as smooth, but warmish/sweet. Inviting for sure, but not as transparent (and Fwiw, I found the pwd2 a bit darker and a whole lot bigger physically too).
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I don't think I've ever heard a dark ES9018 based DAC as dark.

+1...But that is why there are lots of choices. We all hear WHAT we hear...
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,032 of 28,989
Quote:

I agree.

2.2.0 has excellent tonal balance, it's very resolving, I hear no color in this version.  It has lots of body and very good PRat.  Very energetic and detailed while being very musical.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,034 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm not sure what people means by "hardness" on the treble.
I wouldn't have mind if the treble of hd800 sounded sharper actually.
Although I got some sibilance in particular recordings (any mylene farmer fan ?)

Just like there is sample variance with any gear, the same is with our ears. :) Sharper treble on HD800 is a big a no no to me, as I think it's borderline sharp as is already, depending on the recording etc..

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,035 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm not sure what people means by "hardness" on the treble.
I wouldn't have mind if the treble of hd800 sounded sharper actually.
Although I got some sibilance in particular recordings (any mylene farmer fan ?)

Yeah there'll only be hardness depending on the source. Also I wouldn't say hardness is related to sharpness in describing treble. I think a treble can be very sweet and easy on the ears and at the same time very sharp, in the context of resolution. Smearing of the sound can cause a lack of sharpness. This can be caused by distortion and could be attributed with cheap tube amps for example. Or dull sounding dacs. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,036 of 28,989
Quote:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bryston-bda-2-digital-to-analog-converter/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-105

My buddy and I did a shoot out between his BDA-1 and the DAC-2. Long story short, he know owns the DAC-2. But the biggest difference was with USB inputs and the BDA-1 lacked asyncronous USB...but it appears that this has been rectified on the BDA-2. 

The BDA-2 is quite nice, and definitely a step over the gungnir. My next upgrade is either the NAD M51 or the Bryston BDA-2. Unfortunately I don't own the BHA-1 anymore, so the BDA-2 won't have much striking appeal 
blink.gif
. I also think the m51 is a better buy albeit my small Bryston preference as a brand. Anyways, they're both Canadian 
evil_smiley.gif

I'll need to compare them properly head-to-head in the next weeks at work, and not only with headphones. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the Schiit statement, but it's not so easy.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,037 of 28,989
Quote:
 I also think the m51 is a better buy albeit my small Bryston preference as a brand. Anyways, they're both Canadian 
evil_smiley.gif

Learn something everyday... was about to say NAD was British but wiki says that hasn't been true since 99 which is after I had an interest in NAD :wink:

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,038 of 28,989
Quote:
The BDA-2 is quite nice, and definitely a step over the gungnir. My next upgrade is either the NAD M51 or the Bryston BDA-2. Unfortunately I don't own the BHA-1 anymore, so the BDA-2 won't have much striking appeal 
blink.gif
. I also think the m51 is a better buy albeit my small Bryston preference as a brand. Anyways, they're both Canadian 
evil_smiley.gif

I'll need to compare them properly head-to-head in the next weeks at work, and not only with headphones. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for the Schiit statement, but it's not so easy.

Quote:

Learn something everyday... was about to say NAD was British but wiki says that hasn't been true since 99 which is after I had an interest in NAD :wink:

I'm tempted by the BDA-2, but I'll hold out to hear the M51. Heard the BDA-2 today...went downtown and got to hear it on a pair of Totem Forests. Very impressive DAC! The BDA-1 was great, but a step behind the BDA-2 and even my W4S DAC-2.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,039 of 28,989

The Metrum is one of the least colored and most neutral DAC's I've heard to date. It is not a dark sounding DAC, but neither is it a bright sounding one. It has exceptional transparency but may sound dry (especially if you're already using a headphone like the HD800), so I like to warm it up and give it some more body in bass by pairing it with April Music's Stello U3. IMO, most April Music gears I've listened to tend to sound somewhat dark, which is why I like them.

From the size and look alone, seems like i have to have this metrum. But maybe after i buy the koss esp950 first.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #2,040 of 28,989
The new Octave should be awesome.  The Hex is being heralded as a giant killer and the new Octave is the single ended version of the same DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back