The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,996 of 28,989
Quote:
I stretched the headband a little because they were resting on my cheek a little too hard. Suppose like all pads they will flatten over time, but the good news with these is that it shouldn't affect the sound-stage because the pads are thin to begin with.

If I extend the headband to the max, there is almost no clamping force... That said, it's still the most comfortable headphone whatever I try to do with :))

Just in case, if anybody interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/660354/wtb-suitable-amplifier-for-hd800

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,997 of 28,989
Sorry guys, but I have to make a post or otherwise it just won't subscribe me to this awesome thread (just clicking on "subscribe" didn't do it for me).
triportsad.gif
So i thought I post a shot of my beloved headphones in here as well (and amp)...
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,998 of 28,989
Quote:
So i thought I post a shot of my beloved headphones in here as well (and amp)...
redface.gif

So it's a xonar essence one, according to your signature.
Costs around 600$ from what  I've seen.
Are you happy with this setup ?
Beware of the oversampling feature it behaves like a non subtle low pass, which might be pleasant with the hd800 I guess.
I wish there would be a non-biased comparison with the xonar stx, using same headphone (someone that did the test instead of mindless bashing).

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,999 of 28,989
Quote:
So it's a xonar essence one, according to your signature.
Costs around 600$ from what  I've seen.
Are you happy with this setup ?
Beware of the oversampling feature it behaves like a non subtle low pass, which might be pleasant with the hd800 I guess.
I wish there would be a non-biased comparison with the xonar stx, using same headphone (someone that did the test instead of mindless bashing).

Yes, I really am happy with the E1!
Please, come and join us on our thread if you want to find out more about it :) (our impressions, thoughts, modding, etc.)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542563/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011/
I'm aware about its agressive upsampling feature - However, Asus confirmed that they are considering patching it to a less "agressive" routine.

I understand what you are saying about the Xonar STX and its lacking reviews with headphones like the HD-800.
I agree that most owners (and not) "mindless bash" any soundcard paired with em - even though they CAN probably drive the HD-800's

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,000 of 28,989
I know wattage isn't everything but I hope 107mW out of the SL is enough to push them. :xf_eek:

Hell hd800 from ipod still also sound nice, still have that nice soundstage, separation and smoothness, still very much enjoyable.

I have the phonitor. Of course it also depends on your DAC but in my system (with m51 and DLiii before that) the phonitor almost sounded tubbey. Bright? Hell no! very smooth presentation. 

Thanks. How do you compare Phonitor for 800 to your Sonnet? is Sonnet warmer?

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #2,001 of 28,989
Quote:
Hell hd800 from ipod still also sound nice, still have that nice soundstage, separation and smoothness, still very much enjoyable.
Thanks. How do you compare Phonitor for 800 to your Sonnet? is Sonnet warmer?

obviously it depends on the tube, but stock they are VERY similar on the warmth dimension. NOw I have the older Sonett and mine is SE. Not sure how the new one would compare.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2,002 of 28,989
Quote:
Sorry guys, but I have to make a post or otherwise it just won't subscribe me to this awesome thread (just clicking on "subscribe" didn't do it for me).
triportsad.gif
redface.gif

Thats a gorgeous photograph. Welcome! 

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,003 of 28,989
Quote:
Thats a gorgeous photograph. Welcome! 

Thank you LugBug1!
I'm enjoying them a lot since around 2 years now! I hope you guys do as well :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,004 of 28,989
I am a newcommer and considering upgrading my current Nuforce HDP / HD650 combo, but where should start with? should I get a better cans first, or amp first or dac?
I can do only one upgrade at a time now due to limited funding, but it is hard to decide which should come first?
or I should save longer and upgrade them all at a time?

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,005 of 28,989
Quote:
I am a newcommer and considering upgrading my current Nuforce HDP / HD650 combo, but where should start with? should I get a better cans first, or amp first or dac?
I can do only one upgrade at a time now due to limited funding, but it is hard to decide which should come first?

Listen to the cans first, and see if you are interested to buy them.
Otherwise I would upgrade the can first, as it's still the weakest element of the audio chain.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,006 of 28,989
Quote:

You should definitely start with your headphone first... I would keep your HDP and get HD800.

Then, you will see whether you find the sound to be too bright, or not. If yes, you should upgrade your amp section first (and keep HDP as a DAC). If not, you can enjoy both together until you want to upgrade :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,007 of 28,989
Quote:

You should definitely start with your headphone first... I would keep your HDP and get HD800.

Then, you will see whether you find the sound to be too bright, or not. If yes, you should upgrade your amp section first (and keep HDP as a DAC). If not, you can enjoy both together until you want to upgrade :)

This, however knowing you may not be enjoying your HD800 at its optimal level for a while. I don't know how your downstream fits the HD800, but maybe someone else has tried that combination before.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,009 of 28,989
Quote:

why it is the weakest element of the audio chain?

It's science, the "objectivist" from hydrogenaudio would be able to tell it more about it, and better than me.
Otherwise measurements for headphone, are far from "perfect" (including any top of the line headphone) , while some source are just considered "objectively" transparent (i.e their limits are lower than what the human ear can perceive).

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,010 of 28,989
i see, then, I may go with cans first. I was originally thinking of getting a decent amp first to scale up my hd650, then I realized a good dac is also important, then I want to save longer to get them both at a time, then I realized my hd650 may not reveal 100% of the improvement in the source, then I want to save even longer, then I feel frustrated I may not have any new gear in the near future...
what a mess...   then I read this thread...

thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back