The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,056 of 28,989
So I finally have the PS DLIII and V200 hooked up (balanced) to the HD800's. So far so good, but I can definitely tell the obvious weak spot is the USB section. I have a PC laptop so I'm connected via USB. Can anyone recommend a USB-SPDIF converter? I trust you guys more than posting in the Sources section. Right now, I'm looking at the VLINK, but don't want to spend another couple hundred bucks (I'm being super cheap right now, I've spent all my money!)

If you don't want to spend too much, nuforce makes a usb to optical converter

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 23, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,057 of 28,989
 Well I say I don't, but as usual, I will end up spending too much(relatively speaking). I have a very modest setup right now. My next two purchases will be a USB/SPDIF converter and a new cable. I've tried so many setups and now just trying to get the most out of my HD800s without breaking the $1k barrier on any single piece of gear.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,058 of 28,989
Quote:
So I finally have the PS DLIII and V200 hooked up (balanced) to the HD800's. So far so good, but I can definitely tell the obvious weak spot is the USB section. I have a PC laptop so I'm connected via USB. Can anyone recommend a USB-SPDIF converter? I trust you guys more than posting in the Sources section. Right now, I'm looking at the VLINK, but don't want to spend another couple hundred bucks (I'm being super cheap right now, I've spent all my money!)

i use the PS DLIII with Vlink and am pretty happy with the results. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,061 of 28,989
Has anyone tried out the HD800 on a starving student?

Did the starving student give it back without ramen stains on it?

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,062 of 28,989
Quote:
Has anyone tried out the HD800 on a starving student?

Did the starving student give it back without ramen stains on it?

Haaaa, so going to try that out! :D
I'll let you know
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,063 of 28,989
Quote:
Has anyone tried the HD800 on the new WA7 or the Burson Conductor.

The Burson Conductor is an awesome match. Detailed, yet smooth, good body, transparent, neutral, dynamic, airy, great stoundstage.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,064 of 28,989
Quote:
Has anyone tried the HD800 on the new WA7 or the Burson Conductor.

I have HD800 paired with Burson Conductor. I found it to be a very nice match. I also wrote about it here

My friend negura said it well :

The Burson Conductor is an awesome match. Detailed, yet smooth, good body, transparent, neutral, dynamic, airy, great stoundstage.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,065 of 28,989
Quote:

I tried the Nuforce spif adapter, but couldn't get it to work with Windows 8 and Foobar, worked nicely with my Windows 7 work computer, but that isn't where I needed it.  On my Nuforce HDP, it made a surprisingly large difference, particularly in the realism of the soundstage.  I ended up returning it, though since it didn't work on my home computer.  Excellent deal if you pick up a refurbished one for around $70.  

I have been reading about the Musiland 2012 adapters and have read reviews that claim they can be superior to many costing hundreds more.  $75ish for the simpler one, $220 for the high end one that trumped the Hiface EVO, Audiophileo, etc.  Haven't tried one yet, but is on my list if I don't just upgrade my DAC outright.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,067 of 28,989
Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried the Nuforce spif adapter, but couldn't get it to work with Windows 8 and Foobar, worked nicely with my Windows 7 work computer, but that isn't where I needed it.  

I don't have the Nuforce USB-to-SPDIF converter, but ran into a similar Windows 8/driver compatibility issue with another converter recently (whos' drivers would supposedly only work under Windows 7).  What I did to get it to work on my Windows 8 laptop was to extract the converter's driver installer from the installation package's EXE and run it in "Windows 7" compatibility mode.  Worked like a charm for me.  Can't say if it'll work for the Nuforce unit.. but it's worth a shot.  Windows 7 & 8 aren't all that different from an architectural standpoint, so I would think more times than not, Windows 7-compatible stuff should work.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,068 of 28,989
Quote:

I don't have the Nuforce USB-to-SPDIF converter, but ran into a similar Windows 8/driver compatibility issue with another converter recently (whos' drivers would supposedly only work under Windows 7).  What I did to get it to work on my Windows 8 laptop was to extract the converter's driver installer from the installation package's EXE and run it in "Windows 7" compatibility mode.  Worked like a charm for me.  Can't say if it'll work for the Nuforce unit.. but it's worth a shot.  Windows 7 & 8 aren't all that different from an architectural standpoint, so I would think more times than not, Windows 7-compatible stuff should work.

Yes, Nuforce products have problem with Windows 8 (personally tested with UDH-100).

Btw, your tweak didn't work for me, tried it myself (Windows 8 64bit).

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,069 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back