The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #16,081 of 28,992
Definitely need closed phones. I have the Alpha Dog Pro and love, love, love them. Thinking of going to the Prime.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #16,082 of 28,992
  Definitely need closed phones. I have the Alpha Dog Pro and love, love, love them. Thinking of going to the Prime.

If going closed for sure & can splurge an extra $500, consider the Audeze LCD-XC. I believe that would be considered to be the "best" pair of closed headphones. Also, Audeze is releasing the new EL-8 at $700. May be wise to wait to see how its performance stacks up to the current competition. Final high-end closed that may be worth consideration would be the Fostex TH-900.

Note none of these headphones except perhaps the new EL-8 are truly portable (aka too large or amping requirements makes it difficult to use while walking about). Can transport place to place though I guess.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #16,083 of 28,992
If going closed for sure & can splurge an extra $500, consider the Audeze LCD-XC. I believe that would be considered to be the "best" pair of closed headphones.

Sorry but I disagree. Lcd-xc has a kind of honky mid I really can't stand more than 10 seconds. It's definitely not my advice for a closed can.

Not heard any alpha prime thus far.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #16,084 of 28,992
Sorry but I disagree. Lcd-xc has a kind of honky mid I really can't stand more than 10 seconds. It's definitely not my advice for a closed can.

Not heard any alpha prime thus far.

hahaah well, let's say most "expensive" closed pair available then.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #16,085 of 28,992
What do you guys expect the price of the new flagship will be? 

I don't see the need to bring out something new now though, the HD800 is still the best headphone in the price range to many people. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #16,086 of 28,992
For many people , the HD800 is the best current headphone. At least , their headphone of choice even against the best Staxes or the Abyss.  For most people it's one of the 4 or 5 best current headphone regardless of the price.

The HD800 is more than a "good headphone for the price" so where has Sennheiser some place to release another flagship ? Only for the "pleasure" to have a pricier headphone?   Are the HD800 too cheap to allow you to be proud when you show your headphones to your fiancee ?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #16,087 of 28,992
  For many people , the HD800 is the best current headphone. At least , their headphone of choice even against the best Staxes or the Abyss.  For most people it's one of the 4 or 5 best current headphone regardless of the price.

The HD800 is more than a "good headphone for the price" so where has Sennheiser some place to release another flagship ? Only for the "pleasure" to have a pricier headphone?   Are the HD800 too cheap to allow you to be proud when you show your headphones to your fiancee ?
rolleyes.gif

To be honest, the HD800 has its flaws. Then again, some say Sennheiser intended it to have that FR characteristic for the treble range. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #16,088 of 28,992
  If going closed for sure & can splurge an extra $500, consider the Audeze LCD-XC. I believe that would be considered to be the "best" pair of closed headphones. Also, Audeze is releasing the new EL-8 at $700. May be wise to wait to see how its performance stacks up to the current competition. Final high-end closed that may be worth consideration would be the Fostex TH-900.

Note none of these headphones except perhaps the new EL-8 are truly portable (aka too large or amping requirements makes it difficult to use while walking about). Can transport place to place though I guess.

LCD-XC are closed but barely wearable in my opinion, so heavy and hot.

My T5P is truly portable, and sounds fantastic, out of my AK120ii. It has the most HD800-like sound I`ve heard out of a closed HP, for better and worse.   

And the Fostex TH900 most definitiely does not seal or isolate; it`s like an open-back HP with a closed back, somehow.  

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #16,089 of 28,992

To be honest, the HD800 has its flaws. Then again, some say Sennheiser intended it to have that FR characteristic for the treble range. 

Definitely ! as all headphones have :wink:  I don"t say the HD800 is the perfect headphone (I never met any perfect headphone. Not heard the famous orpheus though) but I really think that modify something could induce shortcomings so improving the HD800 would be a very serious challenge.

I'm following seriously the HE1000 story. If I trust some Owner the HE-6 is a true flagship that competes with best headphons in the world too so I'm interested to see if Hifiman found some real improvements.

Every one dream of  something with the Abyss bass impact , the HD800 soundstage and resolution capabilities, the speed and the clean sound of the SR009.
But I seriously doubt that the perfect headphone could exist.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #16,090 of 28,992

My T5P is truly portable, and sounds fantastic, out of my AK120ii. It has the most HD800-like sound I`ve heard out of a closed HP, for better and worse.   

And the Fostex TH900 most definitiely does not seal or isolate; it`s like an open-back HP with a closed back, somehow.  

Hope you are right about the T5P. I am awaiting a pair I ordered after research into the Fostex TH-900 (not enough isolation), Audeze LCD-XC (never heard an Audeze that excited me), and others. Thanks for your conpment to reinforce my choice! Now Hurry Up, USPS!

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #16,091 of 28,992

FWIW, I always keep coming back to the HD800. Any treble issues can be fixed with the Anax mod. The 800 has kept me constantly improving my source music. I am currently listening to the Division Bell (Pink Floyd) 24/96 from HDtracks and I am amazed at the scalability of the HD 800 with the source quality.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #16,092 of 28,992
Hope you are right about the T5P. I am awaiting a pair I ordered after research into the Fostex TH-900 (not enough isolation), Audeze LCD-XC (never heard an Audeze that excited me), and others. Thanks for your conpment to reinforce my choice! Now Hurry Up, USPS!

Looking at the phones in your sig,I think you will be happy with the T5P.  I am currently traveling for a few weeks, and I LOVE mine, out of my AK120ii.  (I`m also missing my HD800, left at home)
Please notice however that I said above that the T5P was the closest to the HD800 of any closed can, for better AND worse.  It is even less forgiving of poorly recorded, mastered or ripped music files than the HD800.  But when it`s happy with a track, it is phenomenal.  

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #16,093 of 28,992
If you do buy an HD800 and later decide to sell it, they seem to go very quickly. I recv'd  many offers when I sold a pair a while back. So it is something I would not hesitate to buy if I was curious.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #16,094 of 28,992

I agree with this (the LCD is heavy...the TH900 is really an open can...and the T5p sounds fantastic
smile.gif
)

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #16,095 of 28,992

Every one dream of  something with the Abyss bass impact , the HD800 soundstage and resolution capabilities, the speed and the clean sound of the SR009.
But I seriously doubt that the perfect headphine could exist.

Actually, for me, it would be the Abyss stage, HD800 microdetail, openess, transparency, neutrality and an LCD type bass. The treble of the HD800 is fine for me. Of course, they need a matching chain. Haven't heard the SR009 but can imagine that they surpass the HD800 in terms of transparency and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back