The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #16,036 of 28,992
  The Senneiser US site still shows the "buy now" button :
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800

When you hit it, it will just tell you that it currently out of stock and will ship in 7 to 10 days:
quote [ We're sorry but HD 800 (ships in 7-10 days) is currently out of stock and cannot be added to your cart. We apologize for any inconvenience.]

No message about discontinuing this model.

And also there is NO message on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA
IN stock and readily available new from 19 vendors.

I took the "ships in 7-10 days" to mean "When we have it, it ships in 7 to 10 days.  However, it is now out of stock so you cannot add it to your cart, " not "You can't add it now but can in 7 - 10 days."

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #16,037 of 28,992
Don't think that there was such a soaring christmas spike in the sales esp. considering that christmas stock comes in the shops 2-3 months before christmas.
The consumer is fickle and everybody talks about the new Hifiman,Abyss etc. and despite it's supreme technicalities the HD800 seems dated/old and we want something new and thrilling from Sennheiser.
I think they focus on a new flagship model and soon we will know!

Yea maybe, but consider the global economy finally recovering in many places after the 2009 recession (except the EU including Germany), I can see Sennheiser under-estimating demand for a high-cost product like the HD800.  Maybe business is better than they anticipated.

At the same time, I would like to see a closed HD800-XC with better bass response.

beerchug.gif

RCBinTN

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #16,038 of 28,992
  Guess I should sell the HD800 (only a few months old) quickly and buy the new model? 
biggrin.gif

edit: Perhaps Sennheiser discontinues the HD800 because the new headphone is only marginally better (maybe 2-3%), hence most people would buy the older / cheaper HD800? Else I see no reason why Sennheiser would discontinue the HD800.

The HD600 is still being sold for example. 

Thus you should do the reverse, and buy another HD800 as a backup!  
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #16,039 of 28,992
I don't think the HD800 will become or seen as 'dated/old' for a while.  The newer headphones still can't match the comfort, design and in many cases (mated with the right gear) the sound signature and speed of the HD800.  Just one HD800 owner/apperciator's thoughts. YMMV.
Quote:
The consumer is fickle and everybody talks about the new Hifiman,Abyss etc. and despite it's supreme technicalities the HD800 seems dated/old and we want something new and thrilling from Sennheiser.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #16,040 of 28,992

edit: Perhaps Sennheiser discontinues the HD800 because the new headphone is only marginally better (maybe 2-3%), hence most people would buy the older / cheaper HD800? Else I see no reason why Sennheiser would discontinue the HD800.

The HD600 is still being sold for example. 

+1 I agree.

Also, since the HD700 prices are discounted, it might point to a general incremental improvement to the "HD800-like" family. I wouldn't be surprised if, with more expensive top tier headphones being released (LCD-X, HE-1000, Abyss), we would see an HD900/HD1000 at a $2000+ price tag.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #16,041 of 28,992

+1 I agree.

Also, since the HD700 prices are discounted, it might point to a general incremental improvement to the "HD800-like" family. I wouldn't be surprised if, with more expensive top tier headphones being released (LCD-X, HE-1000, Abyss), we would see an HD900/HD1000 at a $2000+ price tag.

if you are talking about the new high impedance Audeze prototype, you mean the LCD-Z (LCD-X is already out & only 1.6k).

...lol can't believe i really said ONLY $1,600...... man, headphone pricing is going outta control.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #16,043 of 28,992
Cerrtainly Sennhesier has learned about the 'faults' and attempted fixes to the 800.
That we as users and the aftermarket are 'making it better' has not gone unnoticed.

And it would seem it wouldn't take much to ameliorate the 'faults' with a more refined design.
And who knows what other technology they are capable/willing to unleash as a new statement product.

Certainly the market has proven itself to be not only viable but 'healthy' and probably more robust than they originally thought.

And lastly my plea to Sennheiser to not continue to try and hide the 'real' technical attributes of their product(s) behind mathmatically manipulated acoustical information.  
I was quite disappointed when I saw the FR chart for my set of 800's.  
Not by what it displayed but by what it didn't.

Those who are familiar with pro level acoustical measurement equipment, noteably B&K gear, should be familiar with what I am referring to.

And all these details were brought forth by other portions of the market (reviewers, DIY'rs etc.) in due course anyway.

And yes I do realize that what I'm asking for can be a double edged sword, but these products are supposed to be the pinnacle of your technologic prowess.  It seems to me that I'd want to let the details speak for themselves, and not be 'obscured' by 'averaging', nor brought to light by those who purchase and use these products.

JJ

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #16,044 of 28,992
Guys...so some dude at Amazon without a clue in the UK messes up and it's mass hysteria? Look, Sennheiser isn't like Hifiman that cancels its headphones when new ones come out...look at the HD600s and HD650s...they've been out for years and years. Maybe there's a new headphone coming out, maybe not...the rest is foolish speculation that doesn't really lead to anywhere.

FWIW, they are still available on the Canadian and US Amazon sites (and In Stock).

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #16,045 of 28,992
Well, I was going to join you all. Decided to go for a full setup for now (Instead of an HD800 and waiting for the other parts), and when my beefy tax return hits, get the HD800 instead. It was a hard decision, but I started off on my audiophile quest always drooling at the HD700. Even if it ends up not being a great HP for me, I will have felt so much better having tried it. My mind was set on it for the last year, gotta get my fix, hah.

Just bought the HD700, on Friday buying the Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2.

Farewell for now, hope to be back soon-ish. I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #16,046 of 28,992
  Well, I was going to join you all. Decided to go for a full setup for now (Instead of an HD800 and waiting for the other parts), and when my beefy tax return hits, get the HD800 instead. It was a hard decision, but I started off on my audiophile quest always drooling at the HD700. Even if it ends up not being a great HP for me, I will have felt so much better having tried it. My mind was set on it for the last year, gotta get my fix, hah.

Just bought the HD700, on Friday buying the Modi 2 Uber / Valhalla 2.

Farewell for now, hope to be back soon-ish. I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me.

Hi mate ,

Is your Valhalla2 shipping any time soon ?
I wanted to get one too. But the status in still on backorder (from schiit website).

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #16,049 of 28,992
Will the modi/vali be a huge upgrade from my Geek Out 720 with HD800?

I don't reckon so. Once I can get my hands on the v2 versions I'll compare them with the GO1000 though for sure.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #16,050 of 28,992
  if you are talking about the new high impedance Audeze prototype, you mean the LCD-Z (LCD-X is already out & only 1.6k).

...lol can't believe i really said ONLY $1,600...... man, headphone pricing is going outta control.

Cheer up!

It is not quite out of control yet.  

It is only the beginning of the end of "affordable" headphones as we know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back