The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,281 of 2,621
After several months with the 560s, I'm still in love with it. I really consider it to be on the level of the 6 series rather than the 5 series, it just outclasses every other 5 series I've heard by a fairly large margin (569, 598, 598cs, 599 and similar drop variants in pc37x and pc38x). Having recently gotten the 660s, I do feel like the 560s retains a lot of the sonic character of the 660s in a lightweight package with wider soundstage. Pretty amazing.

One thing that still bothers me though is the plastic headband. I really wish they went with the leather wrapped headband of the 598 & 599. It just gives a more premium feel, and plastic on the 560s headband is super prone to scratching and scuffing. I now have a ton of micro scratches on the top headband despite the fact that I baby my headphones. I really think the 560s with the leather headband of the 599 would be pretty close to the perfect headphone.

Good observations, having had the HD579 I'm not sure whether I prefer the headband design or not, but wholeheartedly agree with everything else, you're going to have to spend a lot more money to get the same performance out of a headphone.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2,282 of 2,621
Thx for the replay . But iam not an audiophile nor a oro gamer too but i appreciate good quality sound and i like wide soundstage .so in short is this headphone worth its price comparing to cheap one or gaming headset
Generally, I like to use an audiophile headphone while gaming, and use a separate mic. One of Sennheiser’s strengths is their wearing comfort: very soft, lightweight, and the contact surfaces are well distributed.

The HD 560S does come out of the box with a firm clamp… most people like it because it keeps the headphone from slipping if you move your head around. The tuning, open back, and angled drivers all contribute to good soundstage, and in general the tuning isn’t overly highlighting any single part of the frequency over all the others (it’s not a bright or bass-heavy headphone, though most people aren’t used to the sub bass extending its presence in the lowest frequencies as well as the HD 560S does). This sort of sound character is good for a sense of realism and immersion. Technical performance-wise, the HD 560S is also very detailed and crisp, with good separation of notes or sound effects; while it should get “loud enough” from a game console controller, they really shine and show their potential if you use a better quality DAC and amplifier.

Pro gamers are like NASCAR drivers… they have a lot of sponsors that they have to represent, and they also perform their sports in an unusual and very demanding environment. Blocking out crowd noises and distractions are their main audio priorities. Often, they wear ear muffs or sealed over-ear headphones, and then IEMs underneath for further isolation. For competitive play, they also often seek advantage by having more midrange and lower treble emphasis (de-emphasizing bass and most of the treble to reduce distractions and fatigue), use a lower dynamic range so footsteps are louder and gunshots/explosions aren’t as loud, and they also will often have the game volume a bit down with their team chat volume turned up. Solo amateur gamers, playing from home, can have a much higher fidelity and more comfortable setup if they desire.

What you value is, of course, up to you. I would say the HD 560S actually isn’t an entry level headphone, but rather a very high performing mid-fi headphone, so on a purely performance level it provides a very high value to cost ratio. But some people have a lower budget, some people prefer more bass emphasis, and so on. Honestly, the PC37X was the last headphone (it’s a gamer headset with a boom mic) I got before beginning to consult as an industry insider, and despite having some very high-end options I would often reach for the PC37X for playing directly on my iPad almost every night for three years. The HD 560S was released at that point, but my gaming group kind of moved on so I’m listening to music more and not sticking to one as much. In the past 12 months, the HD 560S and IE 900 have probably had the most hours 😅

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #2,283 of 2,621
keep in mind eq like that is eqing the audio youre listening to which colors everything youre listening to just to avoid stimulating those peaks. also enjoy being stuck to using a real time eq forever and like i said it doesnt fix the problem. youre literally eqing cuts into the audio youre listening to. its gonna sound like trash.
There is nothing wrong with EQ'ing... no headphone is perfect and a little bit of tweak can go a long way. Harsh treble at 4.5khz ? No problem, just EQ it down and problem solved. Doing so only improves the sound, not ruin it. If EQ makes it sound like trash and EQ is done wrong :)

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #2,286 of 2,621
Any earpad alternatives for the 560S? Stock pads touch my ears & less soft/comfy.

Tried the Brainwaves memory foam velour pads with the ring mod, but it totally changed the open sound stage. Made it more closed & bassy.
I agree, I think part of it is the narrower opening, where the Brainwavz pad is thicker but the opening is not as wide. I've ordered a Brainwavz micro-fibre pad, I'll report on how that sounds. In the meantime, I've gotten used to my ear touching the driver, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to, and in fact I go back to my K7XX which I never had a problem with, and I even started to notice it on there now, I think it's just those damn notches that make you hyper aware of your ears touching.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #2,288 of 2,621
Has there been any word on the issue with screws being loose (or stripped) on these cans out of the box? I'm following this topic with interest as I would like to pick these up later this year to complete my "starter pack" as the budget open-back experience. However, I won't buy even budget products if there's a manufacturing or QC problem that still needs to be addressed.

Not disrespecting Sennheiser for the QC or customer support, as it appears to be legendary given their popularity in the community, but I do think we've seen a large enough sample size in this thread to determine there is / was an issue somewhere in the chain.

I'll continue watching for product updates with great interest.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #2,289 of 2,621
I find the HD 560s to be an ATH-R70X with better soundstage, and a bit of an uplift in the treble. Anybody with similar findings? I feel like I can let go of my ATH-R70X, I prefer the soundstage on this one.
That would be the consensus, but the upper mids and lower treble are a lot hotter. Make sure you're comfortable with that more fatiguing part of the signature before committing.

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,290 of 2,621
I find the HD 560s to be an ATH-R70X with better soundstage, and a bit of an uplift in the treble. Anybody with similar findings? I feel like I can let go of my ATH-R70X, I prefer the soundstage on this one.
I had the opposite findings and found the R70X’s soundstage much wider and deeper. Some reason the HD 560 S soundstage was quite narrow to my ears. Maybe it was how it played with my own ears.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #2,291 of 2,621
+1 on the 560s sound stage. I find the Sennheiser MTW2 earbuds are much wider, which is strange how an in-ear can sound more massive than an open back design.

But just for reference my outer ear shape is not what would be considered normal, although it retains the same overall design of normal ears. That could be a reason why I do not perceive the 560s soundstage as big. For my oddly shaped ears and I, I find soundstage to be quite tiny.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,292 of 2,621
+1 on the 560s sound stage. I find the Sennheiser MTW2 earbuds are much wider, which is strange how an in-ear can sound more massive than an open back design.

But just for reference my outer ear shape is not what would be considered normal, although it retains the same overall design of normal ears. That could be a reason why I do not perceive the 560s soundstage as big. For my oddly shaped ears and I, I find soundstage to be quite tiny.

Honestly this just shows how much the individual factor can influence how one perceives a headphone.

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,293 of 2,621
That would be the consensus, but the upper mids and lower treble are a lot hotter. Make sure you're comfortable with that more fatiguing part of the signature before committing.

I had the opposite findings and found the R70X’s soundstage much wider and deeper. Some reason the HD 560 S soundstage was quite narrow to my ears. Maybe it was how it played with my own ears.

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed the treble to be really intense but not offensive, I have been living with a DT880s for a long time and I seem to prefer hotter treble myself so going back to the ATH-R70X it just feels less "clear" to me now. I think that the E.A.R. technology really works well with my ears. Guess I can sell of my ATH-R70X now.

Gaming wise it really works well, I can hear not just left and right but even sounds that come from up or below really shows itself well with these headphones. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,294 of 2,621
Has there been any word on the issue with screws being loose (or stripped) on these cans out of the box? I'm following this topic with interest as I would like to pick these up later this year to complete my "starter pack" as the budget open-back experience. However, I won't buy even budget products if there's a manufacturing or QC problem that still needs to be addressed.

Not disrespecting Sennheiser for the QC or customer support, as it appears to be legendary given their popularity in the community, but I do think we've seen a large enough sample size in this thread to determine there is / was an issue somewhere in the chain.

I'll continue watching for product updates with great interest.
The issue was not able to be replicated by Sennheiser’s engineers by intentionally loosening the screws (which were tightened in the first place with ratcheting screw drivers and a very precise amount of force), and some of the customer support cases turned out to be due to other factors like unusual pad wear and environmental factors. I haven’t seen anyone else comment about that since January.

Essentially, it’s not a gamble when buying a Sennheiser.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,295 of 2,621
Does anyone happen to know other HD 5.. models that have a bump inside? I had one of these, back then it was advertised as having 3d sound or so and looked very similar. The bump did not cause any discomfort. I remember it being more like an equal sided bump, not a lengthy one. Are all those the same?
And I'm worried whether the 560s cable is stiff and would cause sounds at the ear cup when you touch it. The cable looked like one of these in a review video, but I think I noticed these kind of noises only with closed back headphones.

(Actually I wanted to buy the opposite (?) headphone, an HD 650 because of their soft sound, but I was told (two times) to look for the HD6xx, and now a few weeks (and years) later I still have not found a 6xx sale in Germany, and I'm not sure I do understand the import taxes, and so I started to dislike the price thing a bit and procrastinated.)

Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back